New Member / Estes Doorknob Build / High Power Mods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your margin of stability is 1.14, then you don't need nose weight. But I would suggest a lower thrust motor. 36G might tear up a cardboard rocket. How about the H128W? Little longer burn, lower thrust, less G's pulled.
I think technically, the 1.14 caliber stability was from @Zeta's modeling with some amount of nose weight so it's hard to say. @Spacey you may want to either model it yourself, or weigh your rocket and find the Cg and ask Zeta to override the weight and Cg in the model, or ask Zeta to send you the current model so u can override those values.

Also, @Zeta, not that it will change much but @Spacey's fins are balsa papered with cardstock vs plywood. However, modeling that might not be too simple in Open Rocket? I have never modeled papered fins, even tho I have papered some of my own fins

I thought the same thing. What is a derby weight. I was thinking fishing.

It's weird (or I am). I saw 'Derby weight' and I thought of the saddle weights used for horse handicap racing.

Then I thought, "That's gotta be a big rocket."

Then I thought, "You're an idiot, Skippy."

It's weird (or I am). I saw 'Derby weight' and I thought of the saddle weights used for horse handicap racing.

Then I thought, "That's gotta be a big rocket."

Then I thought, "You're an idiot, Skippy."
I am still unaware of the correct term 😩😂

Adding the last few touches but almost fully ready for launch in the am! Thank you all for the knowledge & allowing me to share my first build journey. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🚀

Symbol is - Loki, God of mischief, Son of Odin
“Keep it Loki” 😉

Attachments

• 7AD4F67F-26B7-44EC-B643-390D02C442C9.jpeg
    7AD4F67F-26B7-44EC-B643-390D02C442C9.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2F5321DA-0576-4FEA-88A7-DB01EF9C1A56.jpeg
    2F5321DA-0576-4FEA-88A7-DB01EF9C1A56.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 36
Yes, level 1 Certified!!! No unfortunately not this launch, those sound very interesting, hmm 🤔 maybe in the near future for level 2. Ended up going with a h-115 with an 8 second delay. Only issue I faced (which you guys informed me of) was my parachute didn’t fully open, slightly tangled around my nose cone eye bolt, didn’t cause any damage and landed right next to the launch strip.

Thank you again!! Y’all are awesome!
*will upload launch video once it’s pulled from the camera. 🚀😊

Attachments

• BE06F83E-0743-42DF-A285-5529B3E6DA24.jpeg
    BE06F83E-0743-42DF-A285-5529B3E6DA24.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yes, level 1 Certified!!! …

Congratulations. Very nice build, glad you recovered it. I think the tangled chute may have been a blessing in disguise. A fully open canopy at 2000+ feet would likely not have landed at the end of the launch strip. You’d have gotten to test your tracker I think. :)

Back