New LPR 2-stager - soliciting paint scheme suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Once a month, my local club flies at a school athletic field. Since most of my fleet is D impulse or greater, I decided I needed to build more rockets I could fly in that small field.

I have just finished this little 2-stager. It has 18mm motor mounts and streamer recovery. Since it is relatively small, I can fly it with motors as small as 1/2A in a small field.

Here is a pic of the new bird. I think it has a sort of military vibe to it.

So I'm asking you for a suggestion. I'd like to model the paint scheme after existing armament. Does anybody have a recommendation?

My one caveat is that there needs to be some bright color I can use on the booster stage to aid in recovery.

Thank you for your help!

Here it is, resplendent in its grey primer:

27962606920_7136481476_o.jpg

Last edited:
Standard colouring is a light grey or white body, with coloured bands around the propellant and warhead. Brown indicates low explosive, i.e. active propellant. Yellow indicates high explosive, i.e. active warhead. Blue indicates inert for training purposes, which is why any missile you see on public display at an air show or in a museum probably has blue bands. If all bands are blue then it's totally inert; if the warhead band is blue and the propellant band is brown then it can be launched in an exercise but won't explode. Now laugh at the Estes Phoenix, which had blue on the propellant and yellow on the warhead - it depicted a round which could explode but couldn't be launched. :lol:

Military units don't tend to have bright colours because anything which goes around on a battlefield with bright colours probably won't do so for very long. But prototypes are often given brightly coloured paint schemes as they do want to be seen, perhaps by prospective buyers, or for better observation during tests. If you paint the rocket to look like a prototype missile then you can do pretty well anything you like with it. Roll bars, bright fins and nose, and in particular a bright booster. Think of the Estes Patriot.

Otherwise paint the sustainer grey with standard bands and paint the booster bright red. Maybe paint the sustainer with blue warhead and brown propellant bands, then it's a training exercise round and a bright booster doesn't matter. Or just paint the booster bright red anyway, it may not be according to proper military protocol but then neither is a reusable booster. :D

Paint the booster orange and the sustainer in the classic Army Test Scheme of the Pershing 1A. Very easy just using orange electrical tape and black striping tape with peel off vinyl lettering. Can use gloss paint with a matte finish.

Latest posts

Back