TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just noticed. Covers the letters.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say a 5.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
It looks okay, but it pushes down the page content even more than the old logo did. The logo should be something done in "landscape mode."

-- Roger

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I still vote for the original rocketry forum logo. I still don't know why it was changed to begin with.

Chrisn

Reaction score
What was wrong with the original logo, I mean the one Ctulanko had.

nh4clo4

Reaction score
I'm with Tom. I appreciate this great forum, but the new logo just doesn't feel right to me.

No offense, just my honest opinion.

Chrisn

Reaction score
Oh yeah, now that the logo says "the rocketry forum", will the title on the right of the header be going as well?

shrox

Reaction score
It's the one the moderator chose. Maybe I'll do another one with girls in bikinis holding rockets...

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's the one the moderator chose. Maybe I'll do another one with girls in bikinis holding rockets...
Noooooo :bang:

How about a new font for the lettering, not slanted, but with some design?

The rocket would be in the background or a little transparent.

MarkII

Reaction score
Just another example of how people fear and dislike change - even if it is for the better. I LIKE the new logo - I think that it really looks cool. I really like the typography in it - very clean yet striking, like all of your work.

I can't tell if it takes up any more screen real estate, but if it does, the amount is minimal. And besides, so what? Your web browser doesn't scroll? :neener:

So I think that it is a great improvement. Bravo, Shrox! It's a keeper! :clap:

MarkII

rokitflite

Reaction score
I don't care what the logo looks like as long as the content is good... Unfortunately everyone complaining about each logo that is used is not good content...

Last edited:

MarkII

Reaction score
Noooooo :bang:

How about a new font for the lettering, not slanted, but with some design?

The rocket would be in the background or a little transparent.
The slanted lettering behind the rocket is one of the best things about this design!!! Didn't you notice that the rocket forms the vertical stems of the E, K and R? It ties the image of the rocket (which HAS to be a long, thin one for the effect to work) together with the title. Very slick! I also really like the color scheme, too. No, no! Don't change anything! I LOVE this logo!

If the rocket image was made somewhat transparent or moved to the background, it would get totally lost in the design. At which point, you would need to ask why it was in the logo at all. Would you prefer to have a simple title for the logo, with no additional image? I wouldn't! No, the rocket HAS to be in the foreground, and it HAS to be completely solid so that it can function as part of the title and yet still be a fully realized image that can stand on its own as well.

MarkII

Last edited:

shrox

Reaction score
The slanted lettering behind the rocket is one of the best things about this design!!! Didn't you notice that the rocket forms the vertical stems of the E, K and R? It ties the image of the rocket (which HAS to be a long, thin one for the effect to work) together with the title. Very slick! I also really like the color scheme, too. No, no! Don't change anything! I LOVE this logo!

If the rocket image was made somewhat transparent or moved to the background, it would get totally lost in the design. At which point, you would need to ask why it was in the logo at all. Would you prefer to have a simple title for the logo, with no additional image? I wouldn't! No, the rocket HAS to be in the foreground, and it HAS to be completely solid so that it can function as part of the title and yet still be a fully realized image that can stand on its own as well.

MarkII

Oh well, no girls in bikinis I guess...

MarkII

Reaction score
If Shrox were to add ornamentation to the lettering, or switch it to a more ornate or serifed typeface, it would "antique" the design and totally clash with the theme. IOW, it would become amateurish and absurd. The typeface zooms in toward the center of the page from the background next to the left margin. I guides your eye, pulling you into the web page. The bold Helvetica-style sans serif typeface just screams "Space Age" and is completely appropriate. It would look right at home on a book jacket (or a movie poster) about the 1960's space race or about modern rocketry from the 1960's to the present. Again, very cool!

:w: :wave: :w:

MarkII

Last edited:

MarkII

Reaction score
Oh well, no girls in bikinis I guess...
Use them in place of the plain jane title in the upper right corner of the page. It would rock!

But you really need to work in some of your "Battle of the 1970's Muscle Cars" S&H imagery into the page somewhere, too. :D That is my only criticism. I'm really picking at nits now, though.

MarkII

Last edited:

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
.... Didn't you notice that the rocket forms the vertical stems of the E, K and R? ...
Yes.

I am not a graphics artist, but attached some examples.

And remember, I am not a graphics artist.

trf.jpg

jj94

Reaction score
I happen to like it. It's a really simple logo, which I like. Simplicity, I think, says it all, and I didn't catch the rocket completing the letters until Mark pointed it out. Makes it all the more interesting. Although I don't like the 3D look of the logo, and the fact that it's looks like its coming in diagonally from the side. That's just me though, but I can't complain. Shrox did a nice job, and I congratulate him for it.

G2Rockets

Reaction score
I actually am a G.A. and not to tip over the apple cart, but I think the new design is actually darn nice.:wave: The only thing I would have added was a shadow to the rocket to pull it off the text and give it depth. Just my 2.5 cents worth.:p

MarkII

Reaction score
Yes.

I am not a graphics artist, but attached some examples.

And remember, I am not a graphics artist.

Well, OK, here is the issue: what am I supposed to look at here? The rocket or the title? There is a competition going on between the two elements, and both are losing. If I look at the title, I lose the image. If I look at the image, I lose the title. Each element looks good on its own, but they don't work together. Instead of complementing and enhancing each other, each element detracts from the other. The total effect is less than the sum of its parts.

Now look at the logo at the top of the page. Here, the two elements - the image and the title - really cooperate and bring out the best in each other. Each element on its own is OK, but when they are put together, the combination really pops. The total here is much greater than the sum of its parts.

This should not come as any real surprise, though; we all KNOW that Shrox really knows his stuff, and that he has created many gems like this over the years.

I am not trying to tear your work apart, Angelo, nor do I mean this as a personal attack. (Quite the contrary.) The two elements of your sample logo are, individually, rather neat. It is just that they don't work when they are put together. Unless you really know what you are doing, you cannot simply superimpose one design element over another contrasting one, without the combination doing damage to both and looking very cluttered. What Shrox did with his logo is to cleverly incorporate each element into the design of the other, so that the effect is additive, rather than subtractive. A very talented designer will realize this almost instinctively. (Even though I understand a little bit about graphic design - I think - it's been a VERY long time since I seriously did any graphic work - I certainly can't do stuff like this.)

MarkII

Last edited:

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow this is a tough room....
really tough.
....Well, OK, here is the issue: what am I supposed to look at here? The rocket or the title?. ...
I posted the 3 images just to show something else could be done with the logo. Not at all saying they better good. The third is shown as it takes less height, as was discussed.
........Now look at the logo at the top of the page.. ...
I asked at home. Noone is, well excited. It is nice, but I think the colour of the lettering, and the slant is off. Because the word "THE" is short, it makes the logo look like it is dropping to the bottom.

And remember, I am not an artist. So this would be a great idea for a competition.

Why Sunward would even be willing to offer a prize for the winning logo!

shrox

Reaction score
really tough.

I posted the 3 images just to show something else could be done with the logo. Not at all saying they better good. The third is shown as it takes less height, as was discussed.

I asked at home. Noone is, well excited. It is nice, but I think the colour of the lettering, and the slant is off. Because the word "THE" is short, it makes the logo look like it is dropping to the bottom.

And remember, I am not an artist. So this would be a great idea for a competition.

Why Sunward would even be willing to offer a prize for the winning logo!
Actually, there already was a competition.