New LEGO Space Shuttle Discovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone missing any parts? The big flat panel that the sticker for the shuttle signage gets applied to was not in my kit.

I've finished the stand for the Shuttle tonight (taking it slow to savor the build) but I wasn't able to make the sign. I'll stop by the Lego store tomorrow and see if they'll replace it, or sell me a replacement. Can't really prove it wasn't there.

My shuttle name plate was in an unnumbered bag with what looks like the payload bay doors.
That's where it was! Thanks!! Weird how they don't point that out in the book, they make it seem like all the pieces are together in the same bag. I'd laid out all the bags prior to starting and made sure I wasn't missing any. There were two bags with the same number 2 on them. But the bag the piece was in wasn't numbered and had been put in the pile with the remaining bags.

I guess I'll go try and cancel my request for that flat piece. That's got to be why they're out of stock, so many people made the same mistake I did.

Thanks again!

In my experience: during every Lego build, there are many moments of "Oh no, this piece is missing", followed some time after by the exact same number of moments of "oh there it is".

Now that I know that they very, very (very!) rarely make an error with their kit packing, I *still* have the same reflex when I don't quickly find the piece I'm looking for. Can't seem to train myself out of it.

I got on the Lego website at 11 PM 31 Mar. Took like 45 minutes to finally get the order through. Site was hammered! Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I am about 2/3 through with the Saturn 5 and have the Lunar Lander and Dom's Charger in the queue. Just got into Lego's a year or so a go. One of many retirement hobbies! Also was just given my first rocket kit,Baby Bertha sooooo, on this forum now.

In my experience: during every Lego build, there are many moments of "Oh no, this piece is missing", followed some time after by the exact same number of moments of "oh there it is".

Now that I know that they very, very (very!) rarely make an error with their kit packing, I *still* have the same reflex when I don't quickly find the piece I'm looking for. Can't seem to train myself out of it.
My issue also when I first started, but now total confidence the piece is there. My method is to open the bag and then place the parts in zip lock bags, main bag and sub bags separated. makes it east to find a part, at least for me.

Yeah, if I can't find a piece during a Lego build, I assume I'm the one who lost it. It's always turned out that my eye was glazing over it without recognizing it or it was accidentally dropped on the floor or some such.

My preference when opening bags is to work with lots of table space and sort all the pieces in the bag before beginning to build.

I have had a few missing/damaged parts over the years. Lego customer service is always fantastic. Just as good if not better than we spoiled rocketeers are used to. Actually had some one from LEGO join my LEGO club meeting a few months back and he said the official internal term for the extra 1x1's and such that are included to cover opps I lost this piece is "Over Dose"

Just picked up ours from the lego store today. The kids are on spring break this week, so we’ll work on it slowly.

Alright gentlemen, the word has come down: The Lego Ulysses model that goes with the Discovery will be coming out at 9 AM EDT in the United States. It can only be bought with 1800 VIP points.

Best of luck to you if you try to score one. I suspect they will be gone by 9:05 if not sooner.

Alright gentlemen, the word has come down: The Lego Ulysses model that goes with the Discovery will be coming out at 9 AM EDT in the United States. It can only be bought with 1800 VIP points.

Best of luck to you if you try to score one. I suspect they will be gone by 9:05 if not sooner.
Quick clarification - that's 9am EDT on 4/14.

For those having the time, but not the build space, shelf space and budget:

I'm 98% done with mine and I have to say I'm SUPER impressed with how this model works. The way the wheels are attached and pop out, the way the elevons move by turning the top main engine bell, the way the rudder is split, how they managed to get the wings to angle back and still be covered with the black and gray on the leading edges, etc. Just spectacular!

Don't forget to leave them feedback about what a rotten experience that was. Yeesh, it's not concert tickets.

Last edited:
Back