new launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
Tried to launch on Saturday but my wimpy estes electron beam would not fire off my igniters anymore, even with new batteries-I must have tried 10 times or more! I downloaded from Fliskits site for free a simple launcher diagram that even I could understand (thanks Jim). went out to the launch site today to test her out-man.......not one misfire, 12v sure blazes those igniters up! I built this launch system for about 12 bucks, can't beat that! used all solderless screw type connectors so if needed, repairs can be easily field fixed with my leatherman.

two 6 v batteries, doorbell switch, speaker wire, charging clips and alligator clips-thats all U need!

Sweet, nice little set up for quick reliable field operations. I have a set-up that runs off of my truck battery, when I launch from my property...when the electron just don't get it anymore, ADAPT! :D

Nice work

Neat set-up Rob. I'v always been a fan of the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid)....my Engineering professors always called it the "elegant" solution.

Looking at yours makes me wish I had kept my homemade launcher I had when I was a kid. It was a homemade wooden box...complete with crocked nails...hand sawn pine boards...and a bunch of cobbled up wiring with switches from some old radios. I think it weighed about 10 lbs. It looked high-tech from the outside, but inside was a latern battery with wires. I was the envy of the neighborhood...HA!

I always wanted to make one that looks like the original Star Trek Tricorders.

John

is to throw away the cigar launcher box that my son (now 7) decorated when he was 5...

Terrible looking box......couldn't pay me anything that would make me give it up!

Originally posted by el chubbo
is to throw away the cigar launcher box that my son (now 7) decorated when he was 5...

Terrible looking box......couldn't pay me anything that would make me give it up!

Ok, Give us a photo!

Darn...I wish I knew about this launcher before I bought my Aerotec Interlock controller. Your launcher is about 1/5th the price of mine and we will get the same results...oh well...at least I know what my next launcher is:D

Rob

A very nice simple design, but for long term economy I suggest using a 12 volt lead acid gell cell instead of the lantern batteries.

https://www.allelectronics.com has 7 AH and 12 AH batteries for about $25, and have a fixed low shipping cost of about $6. They will deliver quite a bit more current than the lantern batteries.

Bob Krech

Back