New kit!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaar

Reaction score
OK! Underdog Rockets and TRF's own Jason Toft(jetra) have teamed up to bring you some great designs. We are starting it off with an awesome one! This is the prototype. We are thinking around $40 for this one. Here are some specs:

*Length: 33.6"
*Fin span: 7.6"
*Diameter: 1.6"
*Pod Diameter: 1.33"
*Motors: 1 24mm and 2 18mm

Now, I give to you some pictures of this thing.

Here is the whole thing!

Strap-on Booster rocket 003full.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a liftoff picture! What do you think?! :D :)
Strap-on Booster rocket launch 002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That looks great! :D When can I buy one?

Phil

Excellent question. We are planning on the start of next month. Good way to kick off a new year!

I would like to take a moment to thank Underdog Rockets for asking me aboard. Thank you for offering the position of full time beta testor. I humbly accept.:cool:

:D

Beta tester for a rocket kit company...

That is my kind of job!

"I am paid to fly rockets...."

Downside?...NONE!!

Speaking of getting "paid" to fly rockets...what do you think my new position is worth? I want to have some good solid figures down before they see this thread. heh-heh

Seriously though, Jason will be an asset to your (business) team. I hope it helps with the fund raising! Nice looking rocket!

Based upon the complexity of it, with 3 motor mounts, 4 large tubes, 6 smaller tubes, 3 NC's, 4 fins... I'd say you'd be in the $30-40 range, at least. Them's a lot of parts. I'd say check the prices on the the Estes Gemini DC's (roughly a similar shape) and go about 75% up from there for the added complexity and size.

WW

Well, it may be $45. But, we like to bring these kits to you for a low price. Yes, I would say this kit is very worth it! BTW, we are taking pre-orders! Just email me at [email protected]!

Nope! Just tell me who you are and I will email you when they are ready!

I'm really excited to be working with Patrick and the rest of the Underdog Rockets team to help produce this kit.

Just as an FYI, I based the design off of the Delta IV Heavy. Once my parts come in from BMS, I will repair and slightly improve my design, and paint it, getting everything to the Underdog team before the New Year. I'm going to paint my version like this:
Delta_IV_heavy.jpg

Picture from www.realspacemodels.com

Look for the release in mid to late January '05.

Jason

Alright, we need some entries in this name contest! Be creative and take a shot! It involves little work and could win you $20 off this rocket! Take a look here.

Originally posted by JRThro
I've been thinking seriously about scratchbuilding a Delta 4 Heavy model rocket.

Continuing off-topic... The difficulty in making a D-IV Heavy is that it's one of the finless launch vehicles that use vectored thrusting to control stability. Unless we have a way of keeping the pointy end up with advanced avionics, our models just won't be stable as scale models. You'll need to get some sort of fins - the popular choice is clear lexan plastic fins that won't detract too much from the appearance of the model. But I agree - that would be a sweet model to build/fly!

WW

OK, the first ten people to send in money for a pre-order will recieve a FREE payloader version of this kit!! It is nearing completion within the next couple of weeks!:)

I think its up to you. A show of good faith and help with the startup costs.

Dan

ANYTHING will help with the costs...so I do not care how much. The kit will cost $45 but anything you want to put down would be a BIG help!

Can't wait for the release of this rocket! :D (read: *bump*)

Phil

I am glad you raised this thread...that means I do not have to find it now....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I would have posted these pictures sooner but I had to go to the hospital. Apparently my sister went into convulsions...needless to say, she was rushed to the ER...My mom took me home because it started to get late. The CAT scan results are pending at the moment so we will see.

Anyway, I finished my prototype. I wish I could say the same for the instructions, but that will come this week.

I will have pictures tonight if not tomorrow...sorry guys

That last one was a little crappy but...

Here is the whole thing prior to paint

Back