New Idea!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty cool design. I like sci-fi styled rockets. I wonder how durable a 12" ring fin is against impact on landing. Does it add a lot of eight aft? If you can make it work, I imagine it would have an interesting low flight with all that drag --- another thing I like.

That's a pretty cool design. I like sci-fi styled rockets. I wonder how durable a 12" ring fin is against impact on landing. Does it add a lot of eight aft? If you can make it work, I imagine it would have an interesting low flight with all that drag --- another thing I like.

It's a takeoff of the old Estes Sprite that was meant to fly with the "shorty" 18mm engines. Nothing wrong with it. Kurt

My very first Estes rocket was a Sprite... I think it cost me 75 cents and the motors were 3 for a buck. Good times...

Interested to know where your CG falls. I like the design but at a glance it looks a little tail heavy--nose weight?

The final kit would have 5.25 oz. of nose weight and the tail ring is Sonotube 3" x 12" Dia. which is fairly light. (3.5 oz.)

I've had my eye on the Circulus 3 for a while now.. I may have to move on the 4. Don't see it on your website. 54MMT an option? :D

Mikey D

Circulus 4 Rocksim pic 2.jpgCirculus 4 Rocksim pic 3.jpg

Motor length is limited to slightly over 200mm motors and motors in the "H" range would be as hard as I would push the tail ring.
The tail drag really helps keep her stable.

It's a takeoff of the old Estes Sprite that was meant to fly with the "shorty" 18mm engines. Nothing wrong with it. Kurt

The original Estes Sprite was only marginally stable by design. The ejection charge moved the spent shorty motor aft making the rocket unstable after eject. Estes called this 'tumble recovery'. The lightweight rocket + short motor combination made the tumble recovery a non-damaging event.

Still in the planning stage. Not sure which tail ring I will use, the 10" or 12" sonotube.

How about a tail ring made from fiber glass. Wrap it on a sona tube mandrel than peel the sona tube away once the ring has set. 2 or 3 wraps of 6oz cloth should do it. and sona tube as it comes has a kinda waxy outside so should peel away nice.

I've had my eye on the Circulus 3 for a while now.. I may have to move on the 4. Don't see it on your website. 54MMT an option? :D

Mikey D

No, a 54MMT is not in the works. The stress on the tail ring and the added weight would be too much. If the kit was fiberglass maybe.

Back