New here, first post

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini 14

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and getting back into rocketry for the third time in my life. Here are my phases:

1) 9 or 10 years old, did it with Dad and had fun with it.
2) Age 21....saw something in the store that summer and I got back at it.
3) Age 22....took a year off for various reasons, finished some builds from the year before, having some fun, and may make something of a commercial venture of it....or just have more fun (and a girl is involved this time ;) )

My first rocket was the Estes America in a starter set. I flew it even a couple of times after Dad died when I was 11. It's broken enough to where I could repare it, but it has sentimental value attached to it so I retired it. It ended up being the first design I cloned. I haven't flown the clone yet, but I plan on it soon.

I'm getting into rocket design cloning. I cloned the old Estes America as I said before, and I just finished my clone of the Estes Cajun. My original was another rocket Dad and I worked on but never finished, so I cloned it. I actually only finished the original last year, so I'll fly it once and retire it. I am currently planning on cloning the Estes Optima, but I'm having trouble finding the nose cone and correct fin patterns.

Welcome minim 14,

B.A.R.II very cool,one day you will never leave.

Cloning is very popular here on the forum, as well as upscaling. Be sure to post your how to's here on the Forum.

My first rocket was the Estes America in a starter set. I flew it even a couple of times after Dad died when I was 11. It's broken enough to where I could repare it, but it has sentimental value attached to it so I retired it. It ended up being the first design I cloned. I haven't flown the clone yet, but I plan on it soon.

Retirement for this reason alone is a heart grabber. I have retired many rockets over the years, most of them to the trash...I have only one in-house retirement, and it too will be cloned.

Again, welcome to the Forum, your "one-stop Rocket talk shop"

Originally posted by Mini 14
I am currently planning on cloning the Estes Optima, but I'm having trouble finding the nose cone and correct fin patterns.

Run don't walk to JimZ's amazing site

https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

All the Estes and Centuri kit plans you could possibly remember, plus a whole bunch more you've never heard of.

I am currently planning on cloning the Estes Optima, but I'm having trouble finding the nose cone and correct fin patterns.

According to JimZ's site, the Optima uses a PNC-80B, the same cone as in the Phoenix - this doesn't seem right, as the 80B is a short, blunt cone (like in the Fat Boy). Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe's nose cone reference gives a PNC-80K for the Optima's nose, which is indeed the same one as in the Phoenix (or the Maxi Alpha, Maxi Alpha III, Colossus, and the Executioner, which is still in production).

Balsa Machining Service sells a balsa version (BNC-80K) for $8.95, which is probably the cheapest way to go - the Executioner is a pretty expensive kit ;)

Welcome to the forum! You won't find a better place for the rocketeer to hang out!

YOU FOUND US! :)

Welcome, sit back and enjoy. You've just found the best place on the web for rocketry discussion.

Welcome back to the hobby (again :) ). I can't recommend Jim'Z's site more. You will find enough there to keep you busy a life time.

jim

Mini 14, huh? A good choice in web-names.
I have one of those in stainless.

Anyway, we are glad you decided to dive in here with us. I will point out that a one-year lapse (between ages 21 and 22) may not fully qualify as an opportunity to 're-BAR'
After all, some of us have about five projects going at once and it takes us a year just to build one of them!

Thanks for the tips on the Optima everyone. I have found JimZ's site, but am having trouble printing out the bloody tif files.

powderburner,
FYI, blued finish with Hogue stock, looks good next to my 870 and G22 (.40 S&W).

Thanks for the tips on the Optima everyone. I have found JimZ's site, but am having trouble printing out the bloody tif files.

powderburner,
FYI, blued finish with Hogue stock, looks good next to my 870 and G22 (.40 S&W).

If you right-click and do a "save target as" then change the extention from "tif" to "jpg" it will save it as a jpg file. It will be readable but not the same quaility as the tif

I never knew you could save a tif file as a jpg! I rarely have need for a tif pic. Thanks again.

blued is nice, i prefer stainless though. i have a ruger 10/22 with a stainless match barrel, and a HOWA .223 lightning in stainless....mmmm bolt action. too bad i live in MA, i'd have so much more, but the laws are rediculous and just to buy the guns i have i had to pay 300 bucks to my town for a piece of paper that says i could own one...

anyway, welcome to the forum. this is a great place to talk about rockets, exchange info, and get to know the VENDORS who are the TRUE vendors of rocket related materials. they spend their time on here talking to the customers, you really can't ask for better customer service. definately look into who the vendors are and what they offer.

r1dermon,
You need to move! You need to get away from those commie pinko pacifist 'fraidy-cat do-gooder bambi-huggers. (There, did that cover it?) You have LOTS of choices of places to go, all within a few hours' drive of whatever you leave behind in Mass.

i can throw a ball from my house into new hampshire. no firearms license needed there. i mean, im not opposed to it, i can kindof see where they're coming from, but i think we need to comprimise. when you charge me 300 dollars to use one of my rights...thats state sponsored facism. i'd rather have the knowledge that everyone who owns a gun is responsible, so in that regard, i dont mind the licensing aspect. however, charging me 300 dollars is way out of step though. honestly. its a laminated piece of paper. and it takes half a second to enter my name into a computer. hardly warranting a 300 dollar surcharge. even for pepper spray. its like they dont want us to be able to protect ourselves. what i get a kick out of though is, i need an FID card to buy a slingshot, however, i can get an air-rifle(which i've found .50 caliber air rifles which would rip a tree apart) with no questions asked. i just need to be 18. lol. now THATS the constitution being enforced right there.

are you kidding me? they still see them as toys that you use in your youth. lol. they'd never gather enough common sense to repeal their idiotic laws.

I had to show my FID card before I could buy BB's in a store in Massachusetts. Go figure?? I wanted them to use as weight.

lol. thats crazy. i would've told the guy to get a clue. lol, BB's. that would be the day. if anyone ever asked me for my FID card to buy BB's, im so out of MA.

Back