New Guy Says Hi

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbonium

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the Forum. I'm another BAR. I was last active in the hobby in 1966-68. A lot has changed since then (and how!)

Let's see... I was an Estes guy. Built: Sky Hook, Sprite, Mars Snooper, Gyroc, Falcon, V2, Streak, and some two-stager I forgot the name of. I'll just call it "Ground Nail" because that's what it became (staging was not nominal).

I'm mostly interested in low-power rocketry right now, with the hope of getting into mid-power stuff. I haven't launched anything yet, and there's the rub...

I live in San Jose, California, and there doesn't seem to be any clubs or open spaces near me where I can launch. Maybe one of you lives near me and can suggest something? Is this forum open to requests for launch sites in the Wanted forum (i.e., "Wanted: Place to launch rockets near San Jose, CA")?

Thanks, and I'm glad to be here.

Let me be the first to say welcome and by the sounds of it you will fit right in here.

-Dave

and some two-stager I forgot the name of. I'll just call it "Ground Nail" because that's what it became (staging was not nominal)..

Sounds like an Omega to me!

Or maybe a Seastrike D, without tape...

Welcome to TRF :)

If you are lacking any large fields to fly in (a very common problem in New Hampshire...) you may want to look into micro rocketry (micromaxx motors) as well as saucers and spools, as all of these are generally perfect for very small fields.

jim

welcome back, do you still have any of the old fleet left - the gyroc was great.

Welcome back. If your like most of us the 2nd time you come back to rockets is alot longer. My break was when I was overseas in the army but then I was around Persing so I guess I never did totaly take a break.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
www.starlightrocketry.com

Thanks for the hearty welcome, folks!

I found out what my first two-stager was. It was a Shrike. After the "incident", I sanded the nose down; cut the tube down [it was kinked], and made a stubbier rocket out of it. Not being able to wait for a parent-driven trip to the field, I went out in our backyard and launched it. It landed in the back yard of several houses over. By the time I got there the neighbor kids had trashed this 'gift from the sky' (apparently they were outside when it came down... can you imagine their excitement?).

I may have to amend my timeline as to when I was last in the hobby. I was going by the catalog we had laying around the house; it was a 1966 but my older brother was into rocketry before me, so who knows how long it had been laying around. I had been in the hobby a couple of years making all the Astron rockets I mentioned, and Shrike was absolutely brand new to the Estes lineup shortly before I left the hobby.

I don't have any of my old fleet. I can't even remember what happened to them, to be honest. I'm currently buying rocket kits in preparation. Man, now I remember why I loved this hobby so much.

Last edited:
Quinn Martin. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Hi! I'm new to the Forum. I'm another BAR. I was last active in the hobby in 1966-68. A lot has changed since then (and how!)....
Welcome back to the hobby and TRF! Feel free to post questions here regarding flying fields, I hope you're able to find some folks in your area to fly with, it really makes the hobby that much more enjoyable. And beware, the bug bites much harder the 2nd time around. :)

Last edited:
If you don't have any open space to launch in, and want to start off small, Art Apple White has some free designs on their website that you can print on cardstock and cut out (pyramids, cones, saucers, etc.) that are pretty cool.

https://artapplewhite.com/123a4/index.html

Welcome to the board and welcome back to the hobby. Sounds like a man from my generation! Just one question though - what took you so long??? :D

Back