New guy here

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopar32985

Reaction score
Just signed up here today. I was recently at my friend rokitflite's house replacing his water lines, and i couldn't help to notice his collection of rockets. The more i looked at them the more it made me want to try this hobby out. Last year for Christmas my father in law did get me an estes Astro Vision but i just through it in the basement, not realizing that these things could be alot of fun.To make the story short he gave me a estes big daddy kit he had laying around. As soon as i got home i put it together and then the next day i went out and got another kit to put together. I haven't painted either one of them yet i figured it might be better to try them out before i take the time to paint them up nice. It might not be to exciting to you guys but i just wanted to post a few pics of my progress on them. Hope to fly and paint them soon,

-Chance-

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

Welcome Mopar (to TRF and rocketry)...
This is a pretty friendly place - lots of good ideas too.

While others may say it is blasphemy, I'l let you in on a secret.... they fly just fine without paint too (but it is sometimes easier to see them and find them after they land if they are painted.) Have fun with the Astro Vision.

-Kerry

Wow Chance! It looks like you let the cat open the Big Daddy package!:eek::D

no it was me i was just that excited haha. But on the serious side calie my cat prefers to chew on plastic bags not cardboard haha:D

Welcome to TRF and rocketry! :)

You've gotten in with a good group here (Scott notwithstanding - We won't hold it against you (much) that you're friends with Scott....) :D

Welcome and thanks for sending us the pics of your rockets. Looks like you are having fun.

Thank you guys for the nice invite. I was hoping to get some painting done this weekend but we are supposed to get 18 to 24 inches of snow so i dont know if i will be able to. If i do i will post pics of my progress.:cheers:

Thank you guys for the nice invite. I was hoping to get some painting done this weekend but we are supposed to get 18 to 24 inches of snow so i dont know if i will be able to. If i do i will post pics of my progress.:cheers:

Snow is no obstacle to rocketry :) I have launched at -50 or thereabouts :) Welcome to the forum and have fun. If you need any help I cam give just PM me.
Cheers
fred

Snow is no obstacle to rocketry :) I have launched at -50 or thereabouts :)

Yeah but Fred, you're a hardy Albertan and tougher than weather like that. I'm from Ontario where the beer is almost as cold as we are.:roll: And I can't stand the temperature to be colder than my beer......

A little Canadian inside joke....

Very true about the cold rockets:) I cam also freeze meat and chill beer on my backstep from November till the following March :)
Cheers
Fred

Wow im surprised to see how many ppl from Maryland are here on the forum. Well i got some primer and sand paper but it is snowing hard outside. Im half tempted to use our bathroom as a spray both. But im pritty sure the wife would beat me haha. Guess i will have to wait until the snow stops:(

Im half tempted to use our bathroom as a spray both. But im pritty sure the wife would beat me haha. Guess i will have to wait until the snow stops:(

You have an attractive wife (even if she avoids the hobby shop) you should feel very lucky if she beats you. Tell you what, next time you are at my house and the Talon is backed out of the garage, you can paint in there... It might mask all of the smells from you soldering the pipes together!

It might not be to exciting to you guys but i just wanted to post a few pics of my progress on them. Hope to fly and paint them soon,

-Chance-

Welcome..... and don't be mistaken,all rockets are always exciting to us.

Looks like the build bug has bitten you! Just wait till you get to flying, especially when you get those first pictures back from"space". You'll be a goner then. Once again welcome to the dark side.

Well good news my wife is awesome she let me set up a make shift booth in our bathroom.:cheers::clap:

5.jpg

Also i totally forgot to shape the fins so here is a pic of the big daddy with one coat of primer then i shaped the fins. More to come tonight. (hopefully)

4.jpg

-Chance-

Welcome aboard Mopar! Very addictive hobby. Scott is a good friend who also knows a lot about rocketry, I have learned many tricks from him and from fellow rocketeer withing TRF. BTW has Scott talked to you about Foosefest?

- RP

Thanks for the welcome man. No Scott has not mentioned anything about that could you inform me?

It might not be to exciting to you guys but i just wanted to post a few pics of my progress on them. Hope to fly and paint them soon,

-Chance-

Welcome..... and don't be mistaken,all rockets are always exciting to us.

Looks like the build bug has bitten you! Just wait till you get to flying, especially when you get those first pictures back from"space". You'll be a goner then. Once again welcome to the dark side.

Have to agree.
If it even looks like a rocket. Someone wants to see it!
Share everything you do. Everyone is interested.
Ask anything you want. Someone will know the answer...
Contribute. Share. Enjoy.

There is def no way im going to be able to fire off my rockets for a few days. They said we still could have 8 more inches on top of this.:cheers:

CSC_0361.jpg

You'll love that Redliner rocket. I have one and it is a very fun rocket to fly. Also you'll want to get some E engines for the Big Daddy. Just a recommendation, but get an 24" X-form chute for it too. It'll make for better recovery and no plastic to melt.

Good luck with them!

Hey Chance,
Here is a view out of the front door that your guys had been walking in and out of... I guess we will postpone the rest of the copper pipe conversion.:mad: More "Bucket Showers" for a couple more weeks:rolleyes:.

Attachments

• DSCN5814a.jpg
    DSCN5814a.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
Damn that does look like a mess:y:. Anything i can do to help let me know man.

Damn that does look like a mess:y:. Anything i can do to help let me know man.

Thanks, I fought valiantly last night until about 3AM smacking the limbs of that pine tree (with one of your 10ft copper pipes) to get the snow off of it. I finally gave up... And so did the tree.:(

There is def no way im going to be able to fire off my rockets for a few days. They said we still could have 8 more inches on top of this.:cheers:

CSC_0361.jpg

Im starting to have real respect for your weather man :)
Cheers
fred

This is not the final paint but finally got a coat of paint on it.:cheers:

6.jpg

-Chance-

Hey Chance,
Here is a view out of the front door that your guys had been walking in and out of... I guess we will postpone the rest of the copper pipe conversion.:mad: More "Bucket Showers" for a couple more weeks:rolleyes:.

Wow!

I hope you kept the Talon in the garage. :D

Is that the 'weeniemobile' under all that snow? :eyepop:

Wow!

I hope you kept the Talon in the garage. :D

Is that the 'weeniemobile' under all that snow? :eyepop:

Yes, the Talon did not get any snow... Of course it is trapped until I can get a tree cut up and carted away:mad: 2 1/2 hours of shoveling later...

Attachments

• dscn5817a.jpg
    dscn5817a.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN5819a.jpg
    DSCN5819a.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN5822a.jpg
    DSCN5822a.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 14
Back