New guy here

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball

Reaction score
Hi all
old rocketeer/ mad scientist here. Been flying low power stuff since the 60s as a kid. Off and on for years. Gonna retire soon and am fascinated with high power. Been reading and researching for the past year and am excited to get into it. Gonna probably start with an Appogee Zephyr. im sure I’ll have plenty of questions
Fireball
as in XL-5

The 60s were a great time for kids and rockets. One of my favorites was the Estes wac corporal. Always wanted a bigger one. Just bought the 28 mm from asp.
waiting for the 38 mm to come back in stock. Will get that one too…haha.
going to my first HP launch in June. Taking my grandson… I’m excited.

That’s a stones throw haha. Been looking around the area for ages for a field to launch low power stuff but everything is always posted. Figured I’d just jump into high power and check out Space Command

PSC cover low and high power. Has a strong core of people that do NAR competitions in addition to sport flying.

Tripoli Pittsburgh fly near Uniontown. It is entirely sport flying, mostly mid and high power.

Those are the main two options. Also a few in clubs in Ohio. Next month, is URRF in NY as well. That is a great experience to see some huge rockets fly.

I go up to Tionesta alot. My brothers cabin is there. Weber farm is about the half way point so it will be an easy drive. Should be fun. Maybe Ill see some of you there.

Unless something comes up I'll be there.. probably just do some low and mid power flights.

Hopewell aliquippa area.
I'm in your back yard. My first flight was also an Estes WAC Corporal, back in the 60's, at the field between the Jr. High and Margaret Ross Elementary! Trying to be retired, trying to build rockets, maybe even fly them once in a while!

And another guy from Baden! @cavecentral! Who knew?

I'm in the bustling metropolis of South Heights...

Welcome to the Forum! Lots of great folk and information here.
However, growing up in the 60s myself, I'm not supposed to remember what happened back then! :oops:

Nice. Lots of guys from the neighborhood. I’m sure we’ll be running into each other.

WOW, you're in Western PA, so you are considerably closer to eRockets in Dayon OH than I am (I'm in NJ)... I was just there however, as there's a big Ham (Amateur radio) convention in the middle of May in Xenia OH, so I drove out and saw the Air Force Musuem and visited eRockets. Not sure what clubs are near you, but I know there's activity out there...

WOW, you're in Western PA, so you are considerably closer to eRockets in Dayon OH than I am (I'm in NJ)... I was just there however, as there's a big Ham (Amateur radio) convention in the middle of May in Xenia OH, so I drove out and saw the Air Force Musuem and visited eRockets. Not sure what clubs are near you, but I know there's activity out there...
Wright Patterson museum is awesome!!!

Latest posts

Back