New guy here...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.E.Forrest

Reaction score
Howdy, I have been armchair interested in HPR for some time. I'm at a stage in life where I have the time to devote to another hobby. I flew model rockets as a kid, and made rocket candy reloads for some of my my Estes fleet with fair success.

I am a skilled craftsman, a maker of traditional archery tackle and wooden sailboats. I'd like to start the process of attaining my Tripoli level one certification. I'm looking for suggestions on quality models suitable for level one as well as recommendations for literature/study materials.

I'm enjoying reading through your forum and thanks in advance

Rick Forrest

Welcome aboard
This is a great spot to ask lots of questions and receive lots of input in this cool hobby

I liked the zephyr by apogee components as a Level 1 kit good size both height and diameter
Straight forward but fun build

Also found this book helpful as well
Good luck

Attachments

• C85B8CA7-B6A2-4992-B8C4-496374FE1C57.png
    C85B8CA7-B6A2-4992-B8C4-496374FE1C57.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 27
So where are you located? Some clubs are great at helping people cert and others don't have the opportunity to help so much as the only time they get together is to launch.

If you just want to get a cert right now, pick something with a 29mm mount, 4in body. Up and down, whoosh pop. Aerotech G-Force, for instance.

Or! Pick anything you like the looks of that has a 29mm or 38mm hole in the back, sim it, build it, and pick an appropriate motor

The first one is probably more appropriate if your flying and recovery space are limited..

Welcome aboard
This is a great spot to ask lots of questions and receive lots of input in this cool hobby

I liked the zephyr by apogee components as a Level 1 kit good size both height and diameter
Straight forward but fun build

Also found this book helpful as well
Good luck

Thank you. Just pushed the button on the book. I should have it by Friday 🙂

If you just want to get a cert right now, pick something with a 29mm mount, 4in body. Up and down, whoosh pop. Aerotech G-Force, for instance.

Or! Pick anything you like the looks of that has a 29mm or 38mm hole in the back, sim it, build it, and pick an appropriate motor

The first one is probably more appropriate if your flying and recovery space are limited..

Well it would be nice to get a cert "right now", but I want to know what the hell I'm doing first off 😉

Harry Stine’s “Handbook of Model Rocketry”. If you don’t have a copy of this and it isn’t dog-eared with labels and notes, you need to get a copy and start there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471472425/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark Canepa’s “Modern High-Power Rocketry 2”. https://www.amazon.com/Modern-High-...ords=high+power+rockets&qid=1629943597&sr=8-6

Mike Westerfield’s “Make: High-Power Rockets: Construction and Certification for Thousands of Feet and Beyond”. https://www.amazon.com/Make-High-Po...ords=high+power+rockets&qid=1629943597&sr=8-1

And, for a really nice history of how we got here, Mike Canepa’s “Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships: The History of High-Power Rocketry s Ascent to the Edges of Outer Space”. https://www.amazon.com/Large-Danger...ords=high+power+rockets&qid=1629943597&sr=8-2

As for kit recommendations, I'd point you to Binder Design's kits. Great kits, good instructions, and many of them can be used to go for a L2 when that time comes.

Their Excel kit is a good example, and can be added to for a dual deploy flight.

SBR's Fusion is another name to keep in mind, as is Apogee's Zephyr.

Hi, forget the rocket stuff for now, lets see your bows. I built 2 Bingham archery kits is high school. Still have them and still shoot them 45 years later. I also have built a couple cedar canoes.
Ok, now back to rockets, welcome. Good advice on here, good people.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome folks. Good pointers offered here and I will be following up with them.

Welcome to the forum Rick! There are plenty of good L1 kits available. My wife used the LOC Hi-Tech. I used the PML I/O. The others suggested here are also good. I would vote for the Apogee Zephyr. Just have fun!

First thing I would do is find a club to launch with. If you are going to go above low power you will need the extra eyes and advice. Plus its getting harder to find a site to launch site.

First thing I would do is find a club to launch with. If you are going to go above low power you will need the extra eyes and advice. Plus its getting harder to find a site to launch site.

The two closest to me are the Sacramento Area Rocket Group which seems to be LP oriented with a ceiling at their field of 1500 ft. I busted that easily as a teenager more than 40 years ago 😉 and really doesn't pique my interest.

There is also AeroPac, which seems oriented to experimental rocketry. That DOES have my interest, as eventually, as I gain knowledge and experience I would like to build my own motors and design my own rockets.

The fins on the Apogee Zephyr always seemed like a giant "wtf" to me, specifically that overhang. I mean, why would you do that, especially on a rocket designed for certs.

That said, nice rocket overall.

The fins on the Apogee Zephyr always seemed like a giant "wtf" to me, specifically that overhang. I mean, why would you do that, especially on a rocket designed for certs.
Because it looks cool? Manufacturers have to innovate. I mean, how many 3FNC/4FNC kits can you sell if they all look alike?

Because it looks cool? Manufacturers have to innovate. I mean, how many 3FNC/4FNC kits can you sell if they all look alike?
It does look cool. It flies great too. My issue was specifically with the way it is marketed as a cert kit when the best cert advice I could possibly give someone is to not do that with their damn fins.

Back