New guy from Kansas, with questions!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faeric

Reaction score
Hey all,

A quick introduction: I'm a college student in an electrical engineering program, and I've worked with Estes model rockets in the past. About a year ago this time I started experimenting with making my own sugar motors, though to date none have left the ground... ;)

My current setup includes a temp-controlled electric skillet, a grain-casting bench, and a digital scale, basically. I just started trying to pour inhibited Bates grains.

Insofar as my questions are concerned, I'm not looking for a top-down explanation on how to do things, and that is NOT meant as a dig to all of you incredibly helpful people--It's just that the most enjoyable part of the process for me is the experimentation. However, if you do see a way I should stay safer, please let me know.

Here's a short video of a VERY poorly cooked and cast Bates grain in 1" PVC with a brass nozzle to keep pressure up--Note: I'm not intending to use this setup to fly, but just to do tests. If anyone can give me some pointers on keeping the fuel warm enough to cast and core once I remove it from the pan, suggestions would be greatly appreciated--The fuel hardens up on me before I fully transfer it to the mold.

[video=youtube;k2QiQZjt20E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QiQZjt20E&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm wanting to reduce my burn time and the like, and I have ideas on how to do that, but I noticed that the cement block I fired onto was left with an eighth inch of carbon (see photos)--is this an indication of too much fuel? I cooked a 65-35 mixture of KNO3 and Sucrose, fyi.

IMG_1721.jpgIMG_1722.JPG

Also, what sort of materials have you used to custom-make parachutes? Trashbags and the like? I'm slowly figuring out how to properly do black-powder ejection charges...

Thank you very much for your time and thoughts!

Zack

Last edited:
Discussing EX / research motors in the open forum : not a great plan.

Discussing parachute design in the Recovery forum : good plan.

Taking care and asking for advice to be even more careful : great plan!

Ah. A solid point. I'll browse the forums further for some more information on that.

i suppose my most pointed question on safety is this: when using homemade bridgewire-gunpowder igniters, what sort of battery should be used? I was just told that using the LiPo battery I had been using could result in quick and painless death. My best guess is a 9-12 volt lead-acid battery...but I'd like to know for certain what won't malfunction when shorted for a bridgewire.

I'll browse the forums tomorrow for more info on this...but tomorrow is a finals study day. So, goodnight.

Welcome to the forum, you have selected a rather unconventional way to become a BAR, although to my less-educated eyes, you're not obviously unqualified! Forum rules are pretty simple- to discuss formulations and the like, you need to be admitted to the EX(piremental) side of the house. See the guidance provided, and stay safe!

Welcome to the forum!

Good Luck with your project. A lot of us here will be happy to help where we can. Trust me, if we can't, someone will be there to let you know you'll need to take it to the Experimental area.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

To the OP, if you are in the southern part of the state you need to look into joining the Kloudbusters club. I believe there's a couple guys who have some sugar motor experience. Go to one of their launches and check them out.

Well, thanks for the suggestions...but what is a BAR? xD

I'll look into the certification required for all of that--I don't particularly want to be labeled a domestic terrorist. ;)

To Bill: They're a little far south for me, but I may make the trek one of these days when I have something worth launching.

BAR: Born again rocketeer. Refers to rocketeers who left the hobby for a while and then returned. :D

BAR: Born again rocketeer. Refers to rocketeers who left the hobby for a while and then returned. :D

Haha! I suppose that's exactly what it is, huh?

Ah, and about the Kloudbusters...I bet that would be my closest trip to achieve a lvl 1 certification. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, thanks for the suggestions...but what is a BAR? xD

I'll look into the certification required for all of that--I don't particularly want to be labeled a domestic terrorist. ;)

To Bill: They're a little far south for me, but I may make the trek one of these days when I have something worth launching.

Well you have till Sept 2-5 to get something together, and if you attend only 1 rocket launch this year, make it to Airfest. Just the biggest, best, launch of the year!

I'm a little surprised nobody else has said this yet, but...

Please do not use PVC as a motor casing. Use aluminum or some other metal. I don't fully understand many of the arguments, but the big one is that PVC is invisible on x-rays. If (when) you blow up a motor casing and if that results in shrapnel, you want the ER docs to be able to find that shrapnel.

Try nakka-rocketry.net for more info. That's all I know of. Plus other sugar EX's may pm you w/ more info.

Your camera man is way to close to an ignited experimental motor.

Zach,

I have been flying sugar motors for over 10 years and have had great success. As is mentioned by one poster above it is best if you do not use PVC as a motor case. Some have been successful using this type of case but the risks are high. I use aluminum type cases such as those intended for ammonium perchlorate based propellants. You can get these from Rousetech, Ceseroni, animal motors, Loki, etc. You should also stay away from attempting to use sucrose (table sugar) in a direct melt approach. sucrose melts at too high a temperature and crystallizes too quickly to allow one to cast reliably a good propellant grain. The easiest way to begin is to use a "recrystallization" method such as that detailed by Jimmy Yawn or in a melt process using low melting sugars (sorbitol, etc.) My web site, although incomplete, can give you insight into this method (www.ajolleyplace.com).

Lol, I randomly opened this old bookmark and I thought I'd update it one last time

I became the president at 2FAST at K-State, built a big rocket for Spaceport America Cup, and flew it. It's powered by an ~L-class RNX (KNO3-Epoxy-Iron Oxide) motor that we built by hand. It suffered a small burnthrough towards the end of the burn.

Here's the video:

Lol, I randomly opened this old bookmark and I thought I'd update it one last time

I became the president at 2FAST at K-State, built a big rocket for Spaceport America Cup, and flew it. It's powered by an ~L-class RNX (KNO3-Epoxy-Iron Oxide) motor that we built by hand. It suffered a small burnthrough towards the end of the burn.

Here's the video:

That is one long burning motor, it just keeps going and going - the kind I like for altitude shots.
Congrats on graduating from being a "Born Again Rocketeer" to a "Bad @$$ Rocketeer" :)

Here's the video:
That's awesome!

Latest posts

Back