New Guy from france

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLearningOne

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a complete beginner, I never launch a rocket before, i never had the opportunity to do it, but since i'm a software engineer now this is really something i want to learn,

So in order to start somewhere and since i have a 3d printer, and i want to do everything, i created a project, using freecad and openRocket, i have a public github for it : https://github.com/maximeduvey/INeedToFly
The excel is now principaly for calculating the parachute size.
I'm using freecad to design the rocket (as you can see, a LOT of things could be improved).
I use openRocket principally to have an estimation of the center of pressure (since both openrocket and freecad model should have the same exterior), and i created on open nose for the rocket to adapt the center of mass.

I'm really open to criticism and improvement.

Also I'm currently in france, is there anyone near Paris that could teach me where and when to test my rockets, or want to form a team :)

Attachments

• 2022-08-10 12_06_06-FreeCAD 0.20.png
    2022-08-10 12_06_06-FreeCAD 0.20.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum TLO. Lots of information can be found here.
There is also lots of educational and useful information at www.apogeerockets.com
Lots of 3D printed stuff here too. I have personally flown a 3D printed nosecone to M2.14 successfully which I think is a pretty good speed for ABS plastic!

If you're already using FreeCAD, you may find the Rocket Workbench useful (https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Rocket_Workbench)

It's not (yet) a full assembly but will help with components such as nose cones, fin cans, etc. It also has helpful calculators, including one for parachutes. The latest release will also allow you to do basic fin flutter analysis. That one's still a work in progress.

Full disclosure: I wrote the darn thing :)

Also I'm currently in france, is there anyone near Paris that could teach me where and when to test my rockets, or want to form a team :)
Funny you should ask. There's a high likelihood that I'll be doing a six month work assignment in France about six months from now, and if you hadn't asked that at the end of your post, I was all ready to ask you the same thing.

Send me a PM I will introduce you to other rocketers in France
I may well be in though with both of you in not too long.

Back