New G8000 test flight photo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heheh....the motor would burn out while its still on the rail!

Haha... very funny Ray :D

I *do* remember AT's attempt at a "Kosdon Fast" style propellant, Warp Nine, at LDRS several years ago. I remember a couple of the manufacturer's "demos":

1. V2 on an I1000 -- Ed LaCroix talked it all up for about 5 minutes in true Ed style, then they counted down and the V2 CATOed spectacularly on the pad. The LCO goes, "It doesn't speak real well for that..." for one of the best moments of the launch.

2. Dr. Rocket Aluminum Rocket on an L3790 -- This was the 2-grain 98mm case in the Dr. Rocket All Metal rocket thing. Another huge buildup and then 5-4-3-2-1-BOOM parts went everywhere. I was standing next to Scott Bartel and after the payload section landed, he shouts out "HAHAHA THE ALTACC WORKED! HA HA HA HA..."; anyone who has ever met Scott knows the laugh I am talking about ;)

The above can be viewed on the Point 39 Productions LDRS XVII video as well. After both demos, I recall Frank Kosdon walking up to the mic and saying "Well, I guess I won't see you in hyperspace then..."

3. LOC Syonic on an I1000 -- This was also at LDRS XVII. My friend Ken Finwall put it in his Syonic after keeping it in an ice chest all morning and then loading it on the pad really quickly in hopes of keeping the propellant from reacting too fast (the suspected problem -- Catocene is hot stuff). Once again, the wind up and the pitch -- WHAM into pieces. There's a great photo of this CATO in the HPR Crash 'n Burn issue of a couple years ago. I felt bad for Ken -- it was only the second flight of the Syonic (a new kit then). But he rebuilt it and flew it many times since.

I guess after that, Aerotech kinda gave up on Warp Nine... :D

Originally posted by daveyfire

Speaking of which, I heard a while back that they did some cool experiments using Warp Nine either as an end-burner, or in combination with a grain of a different propellent. (Can't recall exactly which it was.) But supposedly the results were much better.

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
April 1, 2004:

A test flight of Aerotech's new G8000 "Warp Speed" motor today yielded incredible altitude, resulting in the following photo taken by onboard camera...

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=30098271&p=67572131

How did you get the fins to stay on?

And prevent the paint from burning off?

And to keep stability once out of the atmosphere (where fins are useless)?

And how long is the delay?

:D:D:D:D

Great buckets of bull butter!!!
is that a actual onboard photo? dude its in space:D
how sweet is that:D

Originally posted by n3tjm
How did you get the fins to stay on?

And prevent the paint from burning off?

And to keep stability once out of the atmosphere (where fins are useless)?

And how long is the delay?

:D:D:D:D

The fins are made of adamantium. The paint is a new brand called "Unobtainium". Post-atmospheric stability was achieved through the use of tiny onboard elves. The delay is telekinetically adjustable for optimum altitude and recovery.

;)

Originally posted by gerbs4me
Great buckets of bull butter!!!
is that a actual onboard photo? dude its in space:D
how sweet is that:D

Take a closer look at the date. :)

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Post-atmospheric stability was achieved through the use of tiny onboard elves. The delay is telekinetically adjustable for optimum altitude and recovery.

I think HAKO Ballistics should sell these elves... are they programmable? Can I have them deploy a drogue at apogee and a main at 1200 ft? How about airstarts? Are they Mach-immune? Do they have downloadable data after flight?

Oh, and that telekenetic delay thing... watch out or you may put Cesaroni out of business! :D

I think HAKO Ballistics should sell these elves... are they programmable? Can I have them deploy a drogue at apogee and a main at 1200 ft? How about airstarts? Are they Mach-immune? Do they have downloadable data after flight?

Oh, and that telekenetic delay thing... watch out or you may put Cesaroni out of business! :D

definantly mach immune, but they get shorter every flight

Are these elves legal to ship, if they are, are there any special shipping fees? Put me down for seven, assuming the shipping is not too high.

...(the suspected problem -- Catocene is hot stuff).

anyone else see the problem here? CATOcene!:kill: :p

I would have to assume there's a dilithium-crystal matrix in the motor, to achieve that kind of altitude. :D

The interesting thing that I heard about this motor is that you actually recover the rocket before it leaves the pad via the on board flux capacitor. The 1.21 jigowatts to power the flux capacitor is generated by static electricity as it goes up the rail.

Back