New "Foundation" trailer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends and I suscribe to different ones so we go to whoevers house depending on what's where
IIt's nice to socialize after a year, and we're all vaxxed, and we kinda keep within the group, and wear masks everywhere else.

Apple TV+ has proved to be a worthwhile subscription so far for only $5/month (plus the rather lengthy free trial was great). Ted Lasso hooked me (there's a pun in there somewhere) but I've watched some other very good shows as well (For All Mankind, Schmigadoon, and something else I can't recall). If it's decent, Foundation probably would have gotten me to subscribe all on its own.

Same actor that was the Ceres gang boss in The Expanse - Anderson Dawes is the character.

Ugh, nope, not doing another streaming service. While the quality of the offerings at Netflix has been going down (and nearly all their homegrown shows are "mature rated, which makes it hard to show them to my son), I am not interested in another service. If Apple can resist the urge to turn the show into yet another Hollywood SJW-fest, it looks to have some potential.

Apple TV+ has proved to be a worthwhile subscription so far for only $5/month...
I'm impressed. Since it's from Apple, I expected it would cost twice what all the others do and would have legions of fans swearing that it's the bestest streaming service despite the existence of numerous others that are objectively as good or better.

Oh, that's actually a pretty reasonable price.

I'm impressed. Since it's from Apple, I expected it would cost twice what all the others do and would have legions of fans swearing that it's the bestest streaming service despite the existence of numerous others that are objectively as good or better.

Oh, that's actually a pretty reasonable price.
I'm impressed. Since it's from Apple, I expected it would draw standard responses from haters talking about how overpriced it is and how others are objectively as good or better without actually acknowledging the possibility that different people value different things, and that there really is no such thing as "objectively as good or better".

Yeah, it really is. Who knows how long it will stay that way.

$5/mo is much better than many of the other services but its just another service I'd have to keep track of. Netflix, Hulu, MagellanTV (well worth it), Amazon (via prime), HBOMax (via AT&T cellular), Plex (I run my own server but still)... I refused to get Disney+ just for StarWars stuff. Until AppleTV+ builds enough catalog to make it worth it, it'll stay in the queue next to Disney+

This looks pretty good. I don’t know if I’ll buy another streaming service to watch it, but I might consider it if the reviews are good enough. I’m pretty sure I read a Foundation novel or two in middle school, but it apparently didn’t make as much of an impression on me as it did on others. I barely remember it.

I got Apple TV+ in anticipation of Foundation and just finished re-reading all the novels up to Foundation and Earth. I am really looking forward to this.

From the 2 trailers I've seen it looks like they are changing the story, slightly.
Not really a bad thing, as the series was written in clumps. The 40's as a pulp series, the 50's as novels, then the 80's as novels to tie in other Asimov novels (Some of his best work IMO).

It kind of looks like they are going with a Dune/Mandalorian feel and adding a religious backstory.

Apple TV+ is free for 1 year with an Apple hardware purchase, after that the $5 a month is reasonable, but where does it stop? We have Amazon prime, Netfilx, Disney, and Apple. Along with cable TV! If I want to watch 3 of the 17 Indy car races next year I'll have to get Peacock +!

When I was in my teens I tried twice to get into the Foundation series and it never appealed. No idea why... I consumed every scifi/fantasy that came my way. Just this one set of books didn't stick.

Maybe eventually will watch the show, and try again with the books. It's been 40 years since then, after all...

I have read and re-read the Foundation series books as well as Asimov’s other works (Galatic Empire Series, Nightfall, Nemesis etc.). Mostly while in college. I think I will leave this one to my memory and imagination. Also, I just don’t want to subscribe to another plus channel.

then the 80's as novels to tie in other Asimov novels (Some of his best work IMO).

Agreed! I read his Robot and Foundation novels in 'the correct order' and my mind was totally blown - jaw droppin', dis-believe, had to re-read that last chapter to get the whole picture of both novel series - best scifi novels ever! :)

I do not remember alot about the (Foundation) books (too long ago - I need to re-read them too), but the new series on AppleTV has alot to do w 'The Empire' - not the Empire I remember from the books (the one that's spread across the galaxy), but the 'Dusk, 'Dawn', 'Afternoon Tea' (joke), 'Empires', have alot to do w this series - more than the books ever revealed.

So these 'Empires' are 3 of the same person at different stages of their lives? Did they say 'perfect copies of the original'?

It is a very good series so far tho (4 eps in).

Waiting for certain things: (spoilers)

- The Mule
- Foundation 2 (OMG)
- Less of 'The Empires' :)

Agreed that Apple TV is worth the $

Last edited:
Curiously I liked the 1st episode but hated the 2nd. I'll have to give episode 3 a watch, but I dont really want to.

The show is a mixed bag. It definitely diverges from the books in a big way, some of which I forgive (this is an incredibly difficult subject for a TV show) and others which I'm less enthusiastic about. But I watched it all the way through and I'm glad I did. Will definitely be watching additional seasons.
Curiously I liked the 1st episode but hated the 2nd. I'll have to give episode 3 a watch, but I dont really want to.
I think I had a similar reaction about episode 2. Give it a couple more before you give up.

The show is a mixed bag. It definitely diverges from the books in a big way, some of which I forgive (this is an incredibly difficult subject for a TV show) and others which I'm less enthusiastic about. But I watched it all the way through and I'm glad I did. Will definitely be watching additional seasons.
Some shows/movies can diverge substantially from the books, yet can still be good. Will Smith and Bridget Moynahan carried "I, Robot" very well, though its resemblance to Asimov's work is fairly low.

Same actor that was the Ceres gang boss in The Expanse - Anderson Dawes is the character.

Ugh, nope, not doing another streaming service. While the quality of the offerings at Netflix has been going down (and nearly all their homegrown shows are "mature rated, which makes it hard to show them to my son), I am not interested in another service. If Apple can resist the urge to turn the show into yet another Hollywood SJW-fest, it looks to have some potential.

He’s the son of Richard Harris. He played Professor Moriarty in the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies.

I'mglad that we're getting to see some good sf for a change. Heck, most of Henry Kuttners' stuff from the 40's and 50's is out of copyright; Most of it is on the web free.
The Proud Robot would make a great movie; Heilein's characters'sexuality wouldn't raise an eyebrow now.

Loved the first episode, the love story in the next two sort of bogged it down for me but I took a short break and got back into it, very good through the end. Never read the books so it's all a nice surprise:)

I'mglad that we're getting to see some good sf for a change. Heck, most of Henry Kuttners' stuff from the 40's and 50's is out of copyright; Most of it is on the web free.
The Proud Robot would make a great movie; Heilein's characters'sexuality wouldn't raise an eyebrow now.

There was a movie several years ago based on one of Kuttner's stories; "The Last Mimzy". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0768212/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.
:)
True Story:

Dungeons and Dragons has a weapon named after the weapon used in Jabberwocky: Vorpal Sword. Upon rolling a "critical hit" (natural 20 on a 20-sided die), the opponent's head is separated from their body.

(now that I think about it, Carroll seems to have had a fascination with beheadings...)

I've managed to get quite a few volumes of the yearly SF 'best of' books. Now I need to take a class on turning paperbacks into hardbacks.That's how I found Kuttner,Del Ray, and others worth reading
I still DM a dungeon every year; we still play 1st ed rules, and have since about '78.

Episode 3 was an improvement over 2.

They are straying far from the story.

I'm up to episode 6.

It's not Asimov's Foundation, very different story.

That's not necessarily bad. It's odd to see named characters behaving so different from the books.
So far it's WAY too heavy on the Cleon clone emperors.

Militarily the Anacreon attack on Terminus and the reactions of all involved are just a train wreck.

Back