New Firmware Versions for the Eggtimer Quantum and Eggtimer Proton

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Eggtimer Rocketry has just published new versions of the firmware for the Eggtimer Quantum and Eggtimer Proton WiFi-enabled altimeters. Highlights include:

o Custom SSID - You can now create your own custom SSID, from 8-14 characters. Supported characters are A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and the underscore. This is very handy for multiple Quantums/Protons in your rocket, as in two-stagers or redundant altimeters.

o I'm Ready Tone - We've changed the "I'm ready" tone so that it's the same unmistakable "chirp" as other Eggtimer altimeters. That makes it easier to pick out on a crowded launch rack.

o Support for the Eggtimer Telemetry Module - Telmetry on the serial port has been expanded to support the upcoming Eggtimer Telemetry Module, which will transmit real-time flight status data from your rocket to an Eggfinder LCD receiver. More on that "soon"...

o Bug fixes - a few bugs here and there have been fixed, most notably one that mis-displayed altitudes in the downloaded pages over 32,767'.

You can download the firmware (and the instructions for applying it, if you've never done it before) from the Eggtimer Rocketry support page, EggtimerRocketry.com/home/support

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

I’m all in on the telemetry module and can’t wait to hear more about it.

I just reflashed one of my quantums with the new firmware. Cris, you may want to add that you need esptools.exe to your documentation (maybe it's there, and I just missed it).

New SSID feature works great!

I should be in the zip file... I'll double-check. If you unzip everything to c:\Eggtimer it should "just work"...

[Update] I added the missing esptool file to the Quantum zip file, the one for the Proton already had it.

Last edited:
I downloaded the Quantum build this morning. I flashed my Quantum without issue. The process was exactly as the described in the destructions, Oops I meant instructions. ;);)

Flashed my Quantum this morning to 1.08K. Very easy. The hardest part was finding a paper clip to use. My house is full of binder clips nowadays, no paper clips.:D

I noticed on the Global Setting page at the bottom, there is an option for Name with a text box. I don't recall seeing this before, and I don't see it in the user's guide. I don't think it's the new option to change the SSID, because that's on the Hardware Setup page. Is this new? What's it for?

The "Name" is sent out with the other telemetry data for use with the Eggtimer Telemetry Module, it's there for the 70cm Ham version. More on that "soon"...

I would like to add the custom SSID to the WiFi Switch, but it doesn't have NVRAM memory to save it to. There are other ways to do it, I'm going to look at doing it later this year, but I'm not promising it. I have a number of other projects on the board right now...

Back