New Face in the Crowd Part 2...The Flights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCATO

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and Ladies!),

Today, 06/26/06 marked a milestone for yours truely - my very first rocket launch! This morning saw 4 successful test flights launched from the Banfield LPR Launch Facilities (my farm! :rolleyes: ) using an Estes Wizard and a Estes Guardian rocket.

The Wizard was on the Pad first using an A8-3 engine. I cleared the launch area, gave a 5 count and pressed the launch button! I did not expect that rocket to move that fast! It just screamed off the Pad! If this is low power - I'm impressed. I lost sight of the bird and then, after what seemed like an eternity, I heard a distant "pop" and saw a small cloud of smoke! She streamerd down in the hay field and I had to criss-cross a couple of times before I located her. No damage! I reloaded and lit her off again with the same performance! Man, that little sucker really hauls! :eek:

I brought the Guardian out next and tried it with the A8-3 engine - with the heavier bird (2 1/8 ounces) it still jumped off the pad but not quite as quick! It must have lost mometum before the thrust charge burnt out because it fell quite a ways before the recovery charge went off! The chute did open about tree-top level and the Guardian was recovered with no damage. Flight 2 was with a B6-4 engine and was much better with a consderable gain of altitude. The recovery charge blew, the chute opened up and she landed within 20 feet of the launch pad.

I'm sorry to be so long winded, but I am pumped! I hope that I stay this excited about it on 400th launch as I was this morning! This is a Great Hobby!

Mike :D

Great report! Sounds like you had a much better monday morning than I did.:)

Congrats on your first launch!! Mags (10yo daughter) and I launched our Guardian for the 1st & 2nd times at NERRF2 and it flew great both times on B6-4s as well. Nice looking rocket in in the air as well as on the pad. It's got that quasi military look and all those fins! I like your paint job, I'm gonna do ours over to get rid of the grey.

Again, congrats and welcome.

Tom & Mags - Launching and Smiling in NY!:D :cool:

ps - welcome to the addiction, couple of months you will find yourself sitting in a meeting saying, "Hello, my name is Mike and I'm a rocketeer."

Originally posted by CaptainCATO
I hope that I stay this excited about it on 400th launch as I was this morning! This is a Great

I asure you, you will. :) The more work you put into a rocket, the more pumped you are, when it launches and recovers well. :cool: I can't wait to see when you break into mid power land, and fly your first E9... the slow liftoffs, and long burn times are fffuuuunnnn. :D Glad to hear you had good flights...

Sounds like you're having fun, Cap'n; that's the thing!

Excitement at 400th launch? It might start to let up at about 4,000. Seriously, there's always something new. High power, classics, competition, helping kids, photography, dual deployment . . . .

I went out in the back yard a couple years ago to prove out some new streamer duration models I was developing. I'd purchased a large group of 10.5mm motors from Apogee, and had intended to save a few for the competition. I was having so much fun I couldn't stop and burned 'em all! Had to order more for launch day. :)

Love your tag line, by the way, and I wouldn't miss _my_ mind so much, except my memory was in it! :)

Sounds great :)

I love rockets like the Wizard - quick off the pad and HIGH flying - wait till you shove a C6-7 in it :D

Sounds like a great day launching, and I have burned thousands of motors (including hundreds of mid and high power), and I still get a rush from every flight (including the MMX) :)

Welcome! You are in for a lifetime of fun, it never ever gets boring. Doesn't matter if it is an "A" powered kit that took 15 minutes to build or an "I" powered HPR, the thrill is always there.
Do yourself a favor and go to a big, regional launch sometime. I went to a "LDRS" launch in Texas and it was one of the neatest things I've ever seen.

Originally posted by pkmpd

Do yourself a favor and go to a big, regional launch sometime. I went to a "LDRS" launch in Texas and it was one of the neatest things I've ever seen.

This is very good advice. My wife and I went to Mile High Mayhem this year...our first. I came enthusiastically and she came out of good sportsmanship only. Well, she absolutely loved it and now tells anyone she can that "I can't see how any sane person wouldn't find those launches thrilling no matter what their interests. It was really really exciting, and you've *got* to go to one!".

If you've got the bug now, you'll have a terminal case after a big regional launch.

Geof

Originally posted by geof
This is very good advice. My wife and I went to Mile High Mayhem this year...our first. I came enthusiastically and she came out of good sportsmanship only. Well, she absolutely loved it and now tells anyone she can that "I can't see how any sane person wouldn't find those launches thrilling no matter what their interests. It was really really exciting, and you've *got* to go to one!".

If you've got the bug now, you'll have a terminal case after a big regional launch.

Geof

Yeah - Mayhem was great this year (and your boost glider really flies well). Definitely go to one if you can - well worth it.

Wow! you guys really support new people here! Glad to see what I'm in for here, obviously I have entered into an addiction with no way out!

Eric, yes I did have a great time - I hope your Monday wasn't TOO bad :(
Tom and Mags - They have a Rockteers Anonymous?
timb - I'm having fun that's for sure. Glad you like my tag line, it kinda sums everything up!
cjl - Thousands of motors!? OMG, I'm DOOMED! :p
10fttall - My "launch facility" is about 50 acres with 16 in hay and 27 in soybeans.
pkmpd, geof and cjl - I would very much like to see a big meet. I think it would be quite the experience!

Wow! you guys really support new people here! Glad to see what I'm in for here, obviously I have entered into an addiction with no way out!
10fttall - My "launch facility" is about 50 acres with 16 in hay and 27 in soybeans.
pkmpd, geof and cjl - I would very much like to see a big meet. I think it would be quite the experience!

mike. no theres no rocketry annonmous ive looked. lol and you launch site sounds nce, im used to flying off a harg lakebed.. broken fins paint dammage etc. you lucky bastard!

and you think your hooked now wait untill you see a big launch, 1000's of people flying everything under the sun. and at night...

welcome

Oh, yeah! You see rocketry addicts hanging around the edges of Narcotics Anonimous meetings.

It is, after all, an addiction.....

I'm sorry to be so long winded, but I am pumped! I hope that I stay this excited about it on 400th launch as I was this morning! This is a Great Hobby!

Mike :D [/B]

Hey Mike, you are not being longwinded at all! I am excited that you are so excited. Thanks for the report.

-= Frank =-

I hope that I'l be able to file a lot more "reports" for you and the rest of you great people here on TRF!;) No flights today however, my friend and mentor just gave me another Estes kit, the Hi-Flyer. I'm building this one now so hopefully ANOTHER test flight will be in order!

Gentlemen (and Ladies!),

Today, 06/26/06 marked a milestone for yours truely - my very first rocket launch! This morning saw 4 successful test flights launched from the Banfield LPR Launch Facilities (my farm! :rolleyes: ) using an Estes Wizard and a Estes Guardian rocket.

The Wizard was on the Pad first using an A8-3 engine. I cleared the launch area, gave a 5 count and pressed the launch button! I did not expect that rocket to move that fast! It just screamed off the Pad! If this is low power - I'm impressed. I lost sight of the bird and then, after what seemed like an eternity, I heard a distant "pop" and saw a small cloud of smoke! She streamerd down in the hay field and I had to criss-cross a couple of times before I located her. No damage! I reloaded and lit her off again with the same performance! Man, that little sucker really hauls! :eek:

I brought the Guardian out next and tried it with the A8-3 engine - with the heavier bird (2 1/8 ounces) it still jumped off the pad but not quite as quick! It must have lost mometum before the thrust charge burnt out because it fell quite a ways before the recovery charge went off! The chute did open about tree-top level and the Guardian was recovered with no damage. Flight 2 was with a B6-4 engine and was much better with a consderable gain of altitude. The recovery charge blew, the chute opened up and she landed within 20 feet of the launch pad.

Once he has smelled the smoke .......

Originally posted by QuickBurst
Once he has smelled the smoke .......

Yep, that's what it is! :)

Welcome to the hobby! Needless to say you have a captive audience here of like-minded people!

Enjoy, read, contribute and most of all have FUN!

jim

- I would very much like to see a big meet. I think it would be quite the experience!

What part of Michigan are you in?

I would be in southwestern lower Michigan.

Your in luck! Here's a few links to clubs in your area.

https://www.team1.org/
https://www.tripolimichiana.org/

There will be a big launch in Three Oaks the first weekend in November. I will be there and also attend the launchs throughout the winter at that field. Team1 also launches in Manchester. Theres one July 16th that I'm hoping to attend.

Yep, I got the addition bad too. Join a club immediately, you cannot build or launch enough on your own to satisfy yourself!
You have a great launch area, which often times are in short supply and local hobbiests might even want to launch with you! :D

Back