New Estes Website - missing instructions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. (Well, I did a search and didn't find anything, but I sometimes miss stuff...)

The new website is considerably faster... for me at least. But there is a glaring omission....

No more instructions for discontinued kits! Perhaps it's still there, but hidden. However, I couldn't find it.

Hans.

I guess they don't want anyone else doing the "kit out, build and fly an upscale before the original is released" trick anymore.

If you go to their site and click on Help Center and look for Estes Rockets, you’ll find a list of rockets that are currently being manufactured, bulk kits and OOP. The OOP doesn’t contain all, but a lot of them.

If you go to their site and click on Help Center and look for Estes Rockets, you’ll find a list of rockets that are currently being manufactured, bulk kits and OOP. The OOP doesn’t contain all, but a lot of them.
I did that, but they only show 38 OOP kits. There used to be Hundreds of them!

Hans.

Stop and think for a moment about all the money Estes could have made if they would have gotten a royalty for every rocket ever built that was based on their designs.

Kind of mind boggling. And Estes had to work with companies to make rockets that looked like movie and TV rockets, let's use Star Wars as an example.

But today companies are making knock off's of rockets like the NINTENDO Mario Bros Bullet Bill with no royalties at all.

If a guy wants to do a one off upscale... that's one thing. But to make an upscale or a knock off, and then sell it, just seems dishonest to me.

I just want to build one of their OOP kits. I have the parts (mostly purchased from Estes). It would be nice to see the instructions, in particular to get the tube lengths correct and for some cosmetic details. However, I've built enough rockets that I can make do without.

Hans.

Perhaps getting all the OOP stuff up on the brand new site isn't the highest priority at the moment? If I were prioritizing the backlog of work, that would be down the list a ways.

Between JimZ, Ashasta-Sadie, Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, Insane Rocketry and the parts lists that you can generate with Open Rocket (plus what’s still maintained on the Estes site) there can’t be too many instructions not available. But it is frustrating when a resource you depended on suddenly disappears!

Between JimZ, Ashasta-Sadie, Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, Insane Rocketry and the parts lists that you can generate with Open Rocket (plus what’s still maintained on the Estes site) there can’t be too many instructions not available. But it is frustrating when a resource you depended on suddenly disappears!
A quick check of a few (in particular JimZ) didn't find what I was looking for. But Google found Manuallib.com . They don't have a lot, but for some reason they had what I needed.

As for OOP support probably not being a high priority, I fear it will actually be a NO priority...

Hans.

Curious, what was it you were looking for ?
9703 Argent.

Basically, I have a bunch of PS II tubes, and I couldn't recall what length ones I needed. I had a tab open in my web browser with the plans, but inadvertently closed it. Only to find I could no longer find it at Estes. But all is OK now. I'm coming in off the ledge...

Hans,

If I was going to try to be in business cloning old Estes kits and couldn't get what I needed from the web, I would buy an original kit and make sure I had it exactly right. There are a lot of little details that aren't going to show up in an instruction sheet. Even crazy fleabay prices are a miniscule part of the development cost. And you can always flip the kit as "like-new, open package" and get a lot of it back when you're done documenting it.

On the other hand, if "looks more or less like the picture" was close enough, I probably wouldn't even bother with getting the instructions.

Which is a long-winded way of saying I think the issue of cloning is likely orthogonal to how they're managing the rollout of info on the site.

From Estes' perspective, having people out there buying parts and kits to raid for parts so they can clone OOP rockets doesn't suck, nor does having those people buy motors to launch them with. Estes makes money where the real money is made without even having to do the work of selling kits.

What does annoy me is that they settled for a generic, one-size-and-shape-fits-all web site template rather than insisting on customizations that maximize the utility of it for their products and customers. I've already provided feedback through the web site form about the lack of technical info on the parts and what I think should be shown for body tubes and nose cones.

Just got this from Estes:

===============================================

Hans,

Thank You for contacting Estes!

We are working on restoring availability of the instructions for our old website and will have them available as soon as possible.

That's good news. Thanks for taking the time to ask them 😃

That is good news, but I'll never understand why companies settle for making new sites worse than old ones with a plan to play catch-up later. Not to mention orphaning links all over the internet.

A new website from a company that gives a damn about user experience replicates all functions and information of the old site, and redirects any URLs which change.

After nearly 30 years on this ever-rotting web, I'd say in my observation about 0.05% of companies changing their websites give a damn about user experience.

Yep, it used too. Now they don’t. I’ve been looking for the instructions for the Sprint XL, but nowhere to be found. Not on JimZ, YORF plans, etc.
I have many unopened and unbuilt kits. I think that I have 2 Sprint XLs in my Hobby Room, as my Wife and me call it. I will look if you'd like.
[email protected]

Jim

It would be nice if the pdfs they posted were for 8.5x11 pages, not 11x17 pages

That is good news, but I'll never understand why companies settle for making new sites worse than old ones with a plan to play catch-up later. Not to mention orphaning links all over the internet.
Because it's a lot of work and a lot of time and at some point they want to get the thing online, and will fill in non-critical functionality later. And yes, old instructions would definitely classify as "non-critical", although certainly *important*, and I'm glad to here that'll be coming back.
A new website from a company that gives a damn about user experience replicates all functions and information of the old site, and redirects any URLs which change.

After nearly 30 years on this ever-rotting web, I'd say in my observation about 0.05% of companies changing their websites give a damn about user experience.
The new Estes site is *way* faster than the old one. That is a pretty big improvement in user experience.

I submitted feedback requesting two improvements:
1) There should be a way to select "all rockets" to browser, rather than *only* being able to specify a subset.
2) There should be a filter for motor mount size

Latest posts

Back