New Estes Skylab Saturn V and Saturn 1b Sighted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one Centuri Saturn V and Saturn 1b in boxed condition, an Estes K-36 Saturn V, an Estes 2001 Saturn V in flying condition (needs wrappers reglued, a tower and parachutes) two Estes 1969 Saturn V's, an Estes 2048 with partial assembly, Sheri's Saturn V, two Apogee Saturn V's and one Apogee Saturn 1b. I hate these things. Might as well add a Centuri 1/45th scale Little Joe II to that list. Also the Estes 0892 Little Joe II. I do not have the Centuri 1/100th scale LJ. When I get the bug I'll look.

Last edited:
...When I get the bug I'll look....
You can print your own Bug here:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/ka-12.htm
ka-12@.gif

Mine are both on the way !
I see the C-11 is recommended for the Saturn 1b !
Recommended EnginesC11-3, D12-3, E12-4, E12-6

I have never had a C11 or C5 engine! I need to get some to compare - like against a D12 or C6 engine. Apparently, I need 29mm motors too!

Just ordered my second set of Saturn V and 1B kits from Ac Supply.

Now that I have extra kits, I herby pledge to my brethren, that I will not be afraid to build these 2 kits. I will have fun building them, and I will do my best!! :D:cool:

I need to get some to compare - like against a D12 or C6 engine.

C11 vs D12 will be underwhelming. Lower initial thrust, shorter burn
C5 vs C6 should be good. C5 gets it off the pad faster and lifts heavier things

Apparently, I need 29mm motors too!

If using the 29mm BP motors by estes, build light. They have low thrust for their size

I just finished my Saturn V Skylab and have a question. All of the other model rockets I have recently built with my kids all have engine blocks in the engine tube assemblies. And while I was admiring the hours and hours of construction and hours of paint on my Saturn, I thought about the engine tube and how there was no engine block supplied or displayed in the instructions! I went to the engine prep section on the last page of instructions and noticed for this rocket, to wrap multiple layers of masking tape at the end of the engine 1/4” up from the end. Is this supposed to be the “engine stop”? Please help as my OCD is kicking in bad! Thanks in advance! And I threw in a picture of my finished product! Cant wait to launch this beast!
DFE18F2E-07BF-42E7-9215-E90BE343CBE6.jpeg

I went to the engine prep section on the last page of instructions and noticed for this rocket, to wrap multiple layers of masking tape at the end of the engine 1/4” up from the end. Is this supposed to be the “engine stop”?
Yes.

Although I can't speak for that kit in particular, the technique of wrapping tape around the end of the motor is common for using black powder motors in rockets without engine blocks in them (this is usually called a "thrust ring".) Composite motors (excluding Q-jets) typically have the thrust ring molded into the case.

The purpose of leaving out the thrust ring is that it allows you to more easily use different-length motors, at the cost of needing to do a bit more prep work when using BP motors.

If the Skylab Saturn V is anything like the regular Saturn V, it is better off with a higher-thrust composite motor anyway. I think the Aerotech E30-4 would be a very good one to start with (with 29->24 mm adapter). Others who fly the regular SatV can chime in with more details.

Yes.

Although I can't speak for that kit in particular, the technique of wrapping tape around the end of the motor is common for using black powder motors in rockets without engine blocks in them (this is usually called a "thrust ring".) Composite motors (excluding Q-jets) typically have the thrust ring molded into the case.

The purpose of leaving out the thrust ring is that it allows you to more easily use different-length motors, at the cost of needing to do a bit more prep work when using BP motors.

If the Skylab Saturn V is anything like the regular Saturn V, it is better off with a higher-thrust composite motor anyway. I think the Aerotech E30-4 would be a very good one to start with (with 29->24 mm adapter). Others who fly the regular SatV can chime in with more details.

thank you so much for the quick reply! I didnt even know there were composite motors I could use. So after doing some research, im not sure if I can use the AeroPack 24/29mm adapter if I already have the Estes 29mm retainer epoxied to the engine tube...or will it work and I just cant use the Estes screw on cap with the areopack adapter? The areopack adapter states i need to use the 29mm aeropack retainer. Needless to say, I am very confused now lol. My original question was answered about wrapping BP engines with tape, but now, like you suggested, I may want to go the composite motor route with this Saturn. Could you explain to me a little more about this method please and what I may have to do to convert my current setup? Sorry for the newbie uneducated questions!

Thank you! Are there any added risks in using a composite motor compared to the BP F15-4 I already have? Can I still use the Estes E controller with composite motors or will I need a different launch controller?

IMO, the F15 is the riskier motor. The 29mm BP Estes motors are heavier than their composite counterparts, and usually provide less thrust. Even compared to the Estes E16, I think the F15 provides less performance, because it gives relatively the same amount of thrust but is heavier.

I have the previous production run, with the 24mm mount. The AT E30-4 is a very good motor for my model. I think it will be for yours, as well.

IMO, the F15 is the riskier motor.
Indeed. The safest motor is the one that gets the rocket off the pad more quickly, maximizing the chances of a vertical flight. Any motor will work fine with the Estes retainer (again, using tape thrust rings with BP motors).

Also second the recommendation for the Estes 29-24 adapters: they're cheap, easy, and effective.

I'll let others comment on the suitability of the E launch controller with the composite igniters. Do you have a 1/4" launch rod?

I only have a 3mm and 5mm launch rod. Should I buy a 6mm rod for the Saturn? I attached a pic of my 5mm launch rod against one of the Saturn Launch Lugs.DC944002-3F01-46A0-A202-BFDAB49ABF58.jpeg

If the finished weight is within a percent or two of the estimated 482g either of the Estes 29mm BP motors will work fine. I’m personally very satisfied with those motors in rockets they’re suited for - granted, the Estes Saturns are big, draggy model rockets but if built reasonably (without adding too much “beef” like epoxy and plywood) the Estes 29mm motors will give you a nice slow, smokey liftoff. The other caveats are launch rod size and winds - I wouldn’t fly this critter in much more than a very light breeze and definitely from a HD rod. Easiest way to get a 1/4” rod is to pick up a one piece length of steel rod from a local hardware or home store - I use a 48” plain steel 1/4” rod for my heavier rockets, stainless would be nicer since plain steel needs cleaned and lightly oiled to prevent rust, but plain steel was all Home Depot had. Good luck with your maiden flight, post some pictures if you can and an update on how things went.

I just finished my Saturn V Skylab and have a question. All of the other model rockets I have recently built with my kids all have engine blocks in the engine tube assemblies. And while I was admiring the hours and hours of construction and hours of paint on my Saturn, I thought about the engine tube and how there was no engine block supplied or displayed in the instructions! I went to the engine prep section on the last page of instructions and noticed for this rocket, to wrap multiple layers of masking tape at the end of the engine 1/4” up from the end. Is this supposed to be the “engine stop”? Please help as my OCD is kicking in bad! Thanks in advance! And I threw in a picture of my finished product! Cant wait to launch this beast!
View attachment 456544
Looks fantastic !!

Thanks everyone for sharing your great knowledge with me! I found out that I can use my ESTES E Launch controller for igniting composite motors as long as I use ESTES sonic igniters. So I ended up just buying the ESTES Porta Pad E launch pad which comes with a 1/4” launch rod. Bought some E30-4T composite motors, ESTES Sonic Igniters, ESTES 24/29mm engine adapter, and some 1/8” ID 1/4” OD silicon tubing so I can use the 1/8” launch rod on the ESTES E launch pad for the smaller rockets...anyone going to need the ESTES Porta Pad ii Launch pad with the red launch controller? I guess after getting all these supplies for 1 rocket, I may have to buy a few more larger models. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!

I guess after getting all these supplies for 1 rocket, I may have to buy a few more larger models. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!
All of them. :)

I actually get most use (well, at clubs anyway) out of 3/16" rods, which are perfect for larger LPR rockets with 24mm motor mounts. That's a size I really enjoy. With a composite E you can send them very high, or with a C11 or Q-jet C or D you can fly them in a small field.

Note that you can also put 1/4" lugs on the rockets and fly them on your 1/4" rod. There's nothing wrong with that (and indeed it will be better in terms of less rod whip) but you just have to live with uglier large lugs on the rockets.

Thanks everyone for sharing your great knowledge with me! I found out that I can use my ESTES E Launch controller for igniting composite motors as long as I use ESTES sonic igniters. So I ended up just buying the ESTES Porta Pad E launch pad which comes with a 1/4” launch rod. Bought some E30-4T composite motors, ESTES Sonic Igniters, ESTES 24/29mm engine adapter, and some 1/8” ID 1/4” OD silicon tubing so I can use the 1/8” launch rod on the ESTES E launch pad for the smaller rockets...anyone going to need the ESTES Porta Pad ii Launch pad with the red launch controller? I guess after getting all these supplies for 1 rocket, I may have to buy a few more larger models. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!
There are so many choices! Sticking with larger Estes kits there’s the #9719 Super Big Bertha, #9720 Doorknob, #1295 Mean Machine, #7260 Protostar. Going to other vendors of LPR/MPR kits - Aerotech, North Coast Rocketry, Madcow, LOC Precision - all have great kits in the 1.6 - 3” diameter range, too many to list...check out a couple of websites like Apogee.com, eRockets.biz, Siriusrocketry.biz, buyrocketmotors.com... I’m sure others can make some great suggestions as well.

Back