New Estes Shuttle videos?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is up on the FB NAR site. If I can get D to email it to me, I'll post it on YTube

Okay. It's up on YouTube now:

[video=youtube;tbiP6h7GQsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiP6h7GQsE[/video]

Last edited:
Wow it flies exactly like the Estes scale space shuttle stack! I would have thought this new one would have an improved flight profile. Didn't really get to see how this "orbiter" glides either.

I flew the prototype at NARAM 5, so lots of people actually seen it fly. It should have a straight boost.

Can you please take a picture of the bottom front of the model where the hook is. The base of the hook needs to be recessed into the bottom of the shuttle. The instruction manual mentions this. It looks like the model flew towards the shuttle. If the hook isn't recessed the shuttle will be at a positive angle which may cause that flight profile. If your hook is all ready recessed then something else might be going on.

John Boren

Last edited:
I flew the prototype at NARAM 5, so lots of people actually seen it fly. It should have a straight boost.

Can you please take a picture of the bottom front of the model where the hook is. The base of the hook needs to be recessed into the bottom of the shuttle. The instruction manual mentions this. It looks like the model flew towards the shuttle. If the hook isn't recessed the shuttle will be at a positive angle which may cause that flight profile. If your hook is all ready recessed then something else might be going on.

John Boren

Makes sense. I'll try to get a pic up tonight and you can tell me if I need to re-seat the hook.

This is what it should look like. If you don't have the hook far enough in then the whole shuttle and wing will be at a positive angle of attached during boost. Hopefully this is the cause of your flight profile since it will be easy to fix.

On a different topic. The image of the nose block shows sharp corners. I sand the heck out of mine so it goes from the sharp edges of the shuttle body to a nice smooth rounded corners up to the nose. You can of course shape the nose to your liking.

John Boren

Nose Hook Install.jpg

These are pics (port and starboard) of the shuttle in the video
SANY0056.jpgSANY0057.jpg

So judging by your images, I need to dig deeper...?

Looks like John nailed it...... His pictures show the top of the hook's base flush with the bottom of the rest of the model there.

I was about to order a couple of these and hesitated after seeing the flight video. I'm not going to hesitate anymore....

I agree with Bernard, that it looks like an example of John's 'NO' picture. I haven't seen the instructions for this one on the Estes website yet but I wonder if this might be a case of "A few dozen words and a big red *IMPORTANT* is worth one picture" ?

Last edited:
There is a call out for this in the instructions but I believe the instructions will need to be updated to make this really noticeable so it isn't missed.

John Boren

Hate to say it but the instructions for this kit on page five steps 3-6 with the pictures and wording are very clear on this point already.

As much as people have on them in today's life, I could see how someone might miss this point. I use to run a 1/24 Scale slot car center for over six years and what I notice as compared to my generation was, people today didn't like to build there own cars, they wanted them RTR. So the only way I could make money is build them for them. In my day, people loved the challenge of the build and the satisfaction that comes with the completion.

Most department stores don't even sale models of any anything any more.

Final thought, in order to be fair to Estes, I say let this serve all of us with a wake up call to slow our lives down some and carefully read and study the instructions for each step as we build a kit.

Keep them flying friends!

Last edited:
Found this on YouTube

[video=youtube_share;AN4FW-0MELU]https://youtu.be/AN4FW-0MELU[/video]

Looks as if he overloaded the shuttle and it crashed. Neat idea though.

Last edited:
Today's flight.
[video=youtube;FusVkyDOPpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FusVkyDOPpw[/video].
'Tanks' were recovered from tree. Nosecone, chute and blanket still treed. Scared a buck in the woods

Last edited:
Today's flight. [video=youtube;FusVkyDOPpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FusVkyDOPpw[/video]. 'Tanks' were recovered from tree. Nosecone, chute and blanket still treed. Scared a buck in the woods

You made the correction to the hook as John suggested?

Latest posts

Back