New Estes Scale Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the feed back. Please keep it coming. As you can see many people have different opinions on what they like and dislike about the type of materials used in building a model. Currently I am pretty much stuck with balsa, paper, card stock, wood dowels and plastic to design with. I see mentioned a couple of subjects that I've already built and test flown so they should be out sometime next year.

John Boren

Estes currently has at least two new kits that use paper transitions. There are not my favorite part of a rocket to build either.

John Boren

While paper transitions can be tricky to learn, they are easy to replicate BEFORE they get messed up. I prefer wood fins almost exclusively, unless its something like a Nike-Smoke or a HoJo, then I like the wood skeleton fins built up with paper or balsa skins.

I like the idea of some of the two-stager possible conversions.

I would also love to see the return of the Sea Dart.

If an original scale kit of the Estes Pershing ,then scaled down would be great ,if it could be done in the original with 24mm.....even better.The only problem I can see is the huge blown styrene nosecone,costly I understand.

As mentioned ,a Scud and the Gem.Titan.The only "see your return" would be making molds for the nosecones ,fins...well not so much.Conduits...wood is fine ,you could always use 1/2 round styrene from the LHS ,transitions....most folks like molded or at least Balsa transitions etc/Fins ,not a big issue, unless something like the LTV Scout

Make it a level 4-5 kit ,and builders will buy it and enjoy the challenge ,so mixed medium is a bonus and cut costs.

Whatever you decide, I`m sure folks will like it.....I would(based on your track record)!!!!

Paul T

I would lean towards affordable vs going all-out plastic (hence expensive?) for scale kits, unless Estes can amortize the plastic molds across several kits to bring the costs down. In general, plastic if it's difficult to craft, otherwise paper & wood. I'm more in favor of affordable.

Fins: wood, unless it's difficult to bevel or airfoil
Transitions: paper, unless complex or detailed
Conduits: wood, unless complex
Staged: one-piece with option to make multi-staged, if possible

Subjects: I like ones that are a little "different".

RIM-67 standard missile-2 (as others have suggested)

300px-RIM-67B_Standard.JPEG

AIR-2 Genie missile (as others have suggested) - ha! a cute goony! :)

300px-AIR-2A_Genie_2.jpg

AGM-86 cruise missiles

300px-ALCMCruiseMissile.JPG
220px-AGM-86_ALCM.JPEG

X-planes
x-33
100px-X-33_Venture_Star_in_Orbit.jpg
x-34
100px-Orbital_Sciences_X34.jpg
x-37
70px-Boeing_X-37B_inside_payload_fairing_before_launch.jpg

x-40a
100px-Boeing_X40A.jpg
x-48
100px-ED06-0198-62.jpg

Just my :2:. Any science-fictiony designs that would count as scale?
Love the creative work that you've done. Thank you! Please keep it up! :)

I think the original Mercury Little Joe is a no-brainer - I bought an extra Mercury Redstone to bash my own but I think I'll wait a bit. If the molds still exist for the SCUD nosecone that would be an awesome model. As far as paper transitions go I don't have a problem with them since you can practice with plain paper "boilerplate" versions until you're happy with the result. A PSII Sidewinder would also be a great kit! Even if it's "profile" scale - without all the fiddly surface detailing - since a rivet counter modeler will add their own, better, detail stuff anyway.

I can't get all misty-eyed about the 60s-70s "Golden Era" of LPR rocketry - THIS is the Golden Age! Of course, the fact that I can generally afford to buy the stuff I want now as opposed to mowing lawns to buy the lowest-priced kit hanging on the wall at my LHS like back in the day is a big factor :wink:

So to answer the questions,

And since you guys have the capsule molds out again, 1/100 LJ2, S-1B, and LJ1 please!

^^^^ this :)

also add Mercury Atlas since the cone is there and you brought back the body tube for the 1/45 ALJII

how about reviving the D powered Sandhawk? are the plastic molds gone? copyright issues?

I like old-school building, so balsa fins and paper transitions if they make sense. in the case of some designs plastic is called for...just please use a plastic that does not require exotic glues or techniques. I know the 1/45 ALJII instructions call for "simple" plastic glues, but there are threads here and on YORF about people having problems keeping the fins on.

Bringing back a 1/100 Saturn 1B, you could reuse the wraps in some fantasy scale kits like Centuri did back in the day (Orion, Athena) so the investment in tooling is spread over more kits and into markets that don't necessarily get into scale.

Personally; Materials don't matter one bit, If I'm building a Scale model starting from any of the semi-scale kits available, many of the kit parts will be altered or replaced with custom pieces anyway.

Paper or cardstock transitions can be a fine addition to a scale model that can help hold down on the excess part weight.

I'd also love to see an upscale 24mm LTV Scout or an AIR-2 Genie.

I'm currently building a BT-5 Scratch build MMX powered AIR-2 Genie but would love to see a 24mm D12 version.

I'd stay away from the E9's if needed go up to E12 size MMT's.

I'm interested in the requests for the LJ1. Isn't it extremely similar to the LJ2? Seems like it would be weird for Estes to go to the effort of offering both when there are other, more "different" options.

I'll add my vote to the LTV Scout, and a good-sized Genie kit looks like it'd be a lot of fun.

I've also always found the Nike Hercules to be a really interesting rocket. I think TLP is the only one available right now (?); I'd welcome a smaller one.

One of my old favorites was Estes K-17 Aerobee 300. Maybe upscale that one. The original BT-50 based kit was a great flier.

I'm interested in the requests for the LJ1. Isn't it extremely similar to the LJ2? Seems like it would be weird for Estes to go to the effort of offering both when there are other, more "different" options.

Both are shorties with their respective capsules, but they have enough differences in them that owning one probably wouldn't preclude me from wanting the other. I had a ton of fun with my old 1/100 LJ2 on mini motors before I lost it.

John,
Thank you for keeping the hobby alive! Materials really dont matter much to me, I'd rather see reasonable accuracy; scale and perhaps semi-scale.

Can you do any of the Space-X designs? Falcon Heavy would be cool, and they just released a new design, Interplanetary Transport System.

Where they are a private company, i can see that they may hold their designs quite close...

John asking TRF for scale kit ideas is like a cute girl asking for help with her computer.

post-22461-Hot-Dogs-Nostalgia-Chick-gif-TYRj.gif

Ha! And dude, Space Racer! I still have mine, 25+ years old. 'Bout time for a rerelease, I think.

John, I'd love to build a scale model of the rocket outside of your place of business.

I assume that the objective is to create and sell a kit that will make a profit.

If my assumption is correct, then I suggest a scale model that will be very stable and fly nicely (either slow and straight if it is large or fast and high and straight if it is not-so-large and not-so-draggy).

Please avoid bizarre designs that work for the real rocket because it has a guidance system and avoid rockets with forward fins or fin strakes running up most or all of the body tube as these are usually stability nightmares in the hands of average American consumers.

Pick something cool looking that the target consumer demographic will recognize and want to build and fly. The target demographic may not be the few dozen 50 to 70 year old hardcore model rocket people who frequent these forums.

I will assume that anything Space-X is going to be protected by Space-X (and they make kits already).

Any of the cool space launch vehicles in the news could be considered, if you can get the rights. Otherwise, a nice big version of a well known missile might sell well.

how about bringing back the ol Estes Nike Ajax? was always one of my favorite Estes rockets from the Golden Age? How about a Bomarc? Nike Hercules was cool too!

John, I'd love to build a scale model of the rocket outside of your place of business.

I've actually taken measurements of that rocket in front our admin building. From what I've been told that rocket was built out of parts from several rockets so it isn't real in the sense it was supposed to fly. Maybe I can convince the powers to be that it would make a great Estes 60th Anniversary kit release which is coming up in less then two years.

John Boren

I've actually taken measurements of that rocket in front our admin building. From what I've been told that rocket was built out of parts from several rockets so it isn't real in the sense it was supposed to fly. Maybe I can convince the powers to be that it would make a great Estes 60th Anniversary kit release which is coming up in less then two years.

John Boren

I'd be happy if it was released as a 58th Anniversary kit release. :wink:

For those that don't know what John and I are talking about, I'll toss a link to Google Street View.

John Boren

Preorder + Drag Race? :-D

I would love to see an updated and enlarged SS-1C Scud B model. That would also be a model that would be hard to screw up from a stability standpoint so *every* customer would get it to fly correctly. Balsa or ply fins gets the builder away from plastic/glue bonding issues. I don't know if its easier to do a short run with machined balsa cones or pay to have a mold made for the plastic and make a bazillion cones.

I'd really love to see an SS-6/R-7 kit in that size that would unlock the entire family of those vehicles, but I can't see any way to do one without it being a nightmare.

As far as materials go, I am open to what works best for the application ( eg. plastic for complex shapes and tapered fins) but I do like the idea of using wood and paper to keep costs down. I am open to working with just about anything my self and like builder's kits like the QCC Explorer. I do like the idea of kitting a model that can be built as a single or two stage rocket as the builder prefers.

Since you are soliciting suggestions for subjects, here's my two cents:
+1 for the SA-22
RBS-70
SA-16
Genie
HARM
Falcon
Any Nike missiles (Hercules is my fav)

Do the 1/100 Saturn 1B molds still exist? I don't think the 1B has been sold by Estes for close to 20 years. The SatV has come and gone from the active roster two or three times in the interim but I don't think the 1B has been on the shelves for a long time.

Here's an idea/ request: a Gemini-Titan based on BT-70 with a detachable twist-lock clear plastic fin unit.

The clear fin unit could be adapted into dozens of other finless rocket models -- either by Estes or by kitbashers. Obviously it wouldn't be too hard d to cook up a Titan IIIC if you already had the Gemini-Titan.

Last edited:
In the near future I need to start on a new scale model for Estes. Right now I’m thinking of a Military style rocket but it could turn out to be a new Space style rocket. Most likely it will have a single 24mm motor mount for our E12 motor.

I was just wondering what you would prefer for those that purchase kits instead of scratch building.

Molded plastic scale shaped fins or thin sheet balsa fins where you either leave it flat or layer sheets together for a thicker fin which then pretty much forces you to shape the fins like our 7240 Honest John kit has you do.

Paper transitions or blow molded or injection molded plastic transition.

Wood conduits along the sides of the body that need to be shaped by you or molded plastic conduits.

If it’s a multi stage model in real life, with fins on both stages would you prefer the model to actually stage, be a one piece model or maybe be flexible enough in its design to allow the modeler to make it a multi stage model with some extra design work that they need to come up with.

Do you have any suggestions on a scale model you would like to see?

John Boren

I am always a huge scale style rocket fan. I understand your looking at new kits, but don't miss out on old kits also.

I'd love to see the Nike Ajax return. Actually, any of the Nike projects would be nice. The Nike-Zeus or Nike-Hercules would be great kits to finally have. The Terrier-Sandhawk and SM3 Seahawk would be great returns also. A non-E2X Nike Arrow based around a BT-60 or BT-70 booster would be nice also.

I'd love to see these in two-stage configurations. It would be very interesting to see a hybrid design. The SM3 Seahawk was a single stage. The Terrier-Sandhawk was a single stage but could be flown with or without the booster. The design would take some work, but a kit that could be flown single stage with and without the booster and two stage with the booster would intrigue me greatly.

I wouldn't mind seeing a re-release or preferably a redesign of the Little John. Upscale it to BT-60 to match the newest HoJo.

There's also the HARM, Lance, Hawk, and PAC-3. We haven't seen many BT-80 kits recently. These kits in that size would lend well to lower skill levels and be good candidates for the E12. And a large BT Jayhawk is always a crowd pleaser.

I'd be very happy to see the larger BT kits return. Not very much has really been done with the BT-70. There's never been enough BT-80 kits for me. And let's not forget the Maxi V2. Huge kit and it flew on 24mn motors.

Personally, I much prefer blown-molded or injection molded cones and transitions over paper shrouds. I have never been good at shrouds.

I'd prefer plastic fins if they're going to require beveling. It's just a skill that I don't have. The Seahawk and Sandhawk are very good examples as is the PSII Nike Smoke. I enjoyed these a lot.

As for conduits, I can go either way. Vacuum formed parts can be cheap and easy to produce, but can be easily damaged by novices. Wood shaping can require skills some don't have, but if we mess them up, we can replace them with stock from a LHS. I'd prefer the plastic as it allows you to offer us more detail than can easily be reproduced in wood.

In the past, Estes kits have lacked a lot of the small details to really get a scale feel. The 2056 Patriot lacked proper fin shape and the tail cone. The 2153 AMRAAM also lacked it's tail cone. The 1972 Bullpup did have the tail cone. I liked this fact. Plastic tail cones, even if it requires us to cut and modify an existing nose cone, are a good choice.

I'd also like to see more of the small details such as launch guides. I believe it was the K-27/1227 HoJo. It had the pieces to replicate the launch guides. The PS Terrier-Sandhawk included the antennae pieces. As did the PS Jayhawk.

I think you'll find that the majority of us are also willing to pay more to get this level of detail.

Thanks for asking us what we want. I like having input into what I'll be buying from my favorite manufacturer in the near future.

One of my old favorites was Estes K-17 Aerobee 300. Maybe upscale that one. The original BT-50 based kit was a great flier.

One of my favorites. I always thought it looked great. A high performance rocket that just disappears on a C6-5. A 24mm version would be tough to keep in sight.

Tom

I'd love to see the Jayhawk and Terrier Sandhawk re-released. And the Javelin sounding rocket could be fun. Assuming no licensing issues, of course.

I think it's great to have a kit that can be put together in several hours for a sport fly, or labored over for weeks (with lots of customizations) for a serious scale build. That means that the proportions have to be very accurate (fin size, transition angles, etc), but lots of the little bits can be left off.

Prefer wood to plastic, paper or cardstock transitions, but moulded plastic detail parts. Don't mind figuring out staging myself, and there will be guides on the internet soon enough anyway. :)

FWIW, and thank you for providing kits that maintain folks' interest in this hobby!

Forgive me, but I need to add one more thing.

Water slide decals please. Self stick decals just aren't working for me. Water slide are a much better option.

Back