New Estes Rockets Coming at NARCON?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_650

Reaction score
Evidently there are going to be some new Estes products announced at NARCON. Here’s a picture from FB that was posted to one of the other forums showing the Skylab Saturn V (which, supposedly, will include the Apollo upper stage as a bonus!) and a new version of the Astro Cam. No word on the much teased upscale of the Destination Mars MAV or the Saturn 1b though, but keep your fingers crossed for those!

Attachments

• 8A3BB04C-FA7C-4024-8824-35E4BB83AB21.jpeg
    8A3BB04C-FA7C-4024-8824-35E4BB83AB21.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 283
Wow, definitely a purchase for me. Thanks for sharing photo !

The Orange Bullet is out, and in stock at AC Supply as well.

Agree on seeing the Fat Boy in its original size (or bigger?) come back.

I saw a FB post that the upscale MAV is strictly for display and non-flying. Too bad.......

This was on Estes' FB page ... looks like a Falcon 9 too!

Attachments

• 87543636_3189810977719007_1919193079517020160_n.jpg
    87543636_3189810977719007_1919193079517020160_n.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 253
Any more information on the new AstroCam?
If memory serves... Will initially be available from Target "this Fall" in a combo pack with launch stand, etc. High definition (somebody asked what version and seemed satisfied but I don't remember the designation) with sound. Bill Stine says the rocket whistles on the way up and sounds really cool. USB interface. Battery and memory to "last many flights." Just the rocket will eventually be released. Eventually there will be a bracket available to mount it to your own rockets. I'll buy one as soon as it hits Target...

If memory serves... Will initially be available from Target "this Fall" in a combo pack with launch stand, etc. High definition (somebody asked what version and seemed satisfied but I don't remember the designation) with sound. Bill Stine says the rocket whistles on the way up and sounds really cool. USB interface. Battery and memory to "last many flights." Just the rocket will eventually be released. Eventually there will be a bracket available to mount it to your own rockets. I'll buy one as soon as it hits Target...

This is very interesting news. As much as we - the “hard core” hobby rocketry folks - imagine that everything rocket-related focuses on us, Estes appears to be thinking bigger. Exclusive kits for one of their biggest mainline retailers (Hobby Lobby) and using Target to reintroduce Astrocam to the “mundane” market. Hopefully this works to expand model rocketry - and the fallout from COVID19 doesn’t interrupt their supply chain to the point they miss the holiday sales period. Fun to watch this unfold and fingers crossed that things work out for us, Estes and the new people buying into rocketry.

This sounds great. I have been wanting Estes to do this for a while, seems like it has a shot of attracting people to the hobby. I hope the quality is decent; if so I'll definitely pick one up.

Anyone know the diameter of the rocket? The original was BT55; that's a size I could swap onto quite a few of my existing rockets.

This sounds great. I have been wanting Estes to do this for a while, seems like it has a shot of attracting people to the hobby. I hope the quality is decent; if so I'll definitely pick one up.

Anyone know the diameter of the rocket? The original was BT55; that's a size I could swap onto quite a few of my existing rockets.

I just wish SOMEONE would do a long skinny version of the keychain camera with a lens facing along the short axis (meaning forward or backward relative to long axis.) There is a mix of quality of the current keychain cameras, but they all share extremely the same clunky shape with poor aerodynamics for attachments to gliders, model airplanes, and rockets. There are "pen" spy cameras, but unfortunately the lenses face laterally (logical, if you are try to stick it in your pocked and covertly film something, but not helpful from an aerodynamic standpoint.)

I just wish SOMEONE would do a long skinny version of the keychain camera with a lens facing along the short axis (meaning forward or backward relative to long axis.) There is a mix of quality of the current keychain cameras, but they all share extremely the same clunky shape with poor aerodynamics for attachments to gliders, model airplanes, and rockets. There are "pen" spy cameras, but unfortunately the lenses face laterally (logical, if you are try to stick it in your pocked and covertly film something, but not helpful from an aerodynamic standpoint.)

The "MOBIUS" probably comes the closest, at this point in time.

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com

Dave F.

Estes seems to be tooling a lot of new nose cones recently and related parts rather than working only with the conventional or traditional shapes that they've been stuck with for awhile. Between that and the reintroduction of older favorites, I find this trend very encouraging. Now if only they'd reintroduce something that used the PNC-50SP cone, we could easily clone Argosy, Falcon Commander, Starhawk, etc. without paper canopies.

Why stop at a canopy, go ahead and put some canards on the nose too!

Star Rider & Nemesis...

est2010@.gif

jonrocket-estes-nemesis-2157.jpg

https://jonrocket.com/store/products/nemesis-model-rocket

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Bill Stine cheerfully announced the $99.99 price for the Saturn-V, BUT said NOTHING about the price of the Astrocam, only that it would be available at Target first ?

Dave F.

Back