new Estes rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

old man, lovin' life
Reaction score
was checking out Estes' new site design and found this pic in the 'designer series' section. no mention of it.

newestesrocket.PNG

There’s been speculation about that rocket on YORF - most likely it’s a Shrox design that never made it into production. If that’s true it sort of fits in with the other two Designer Series releases, hopefully it’s the next kit in that line and we’ll see it soon…

You should check out Ye Olde Rocket Forum:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/
Lot's of history about our favorite hobby. ;)
I’ve seen YORF and I’ve been wondering what sets it apart from our little space here.

I’m guessing they have a greater emphasis on vintage products and a greater proportion of vintage users?

“Shrox”?
Shrox is an artist and graphic designer who designed model rockets - Quest produced some of his designs, he also sold “plan packs” online (I have a plan pack for his Skonk Wulf), now Apogee has a kit line of his designs called Skrockets - the Skonk Wulf, Ibis, Johnny Star Commander. He has a website featuring his art (but no model rocket stuff anymore) www.shrox.com

Shrox is an artist and graphic designer who designed model rockets - Quest produced some of his designs, he also sold “plan packs” online (I have a plan pack for his Skonk Wulf), now Apogee has a kit line of his designs called Skrockets - the Skonk Wulf, Ibis, Johnny Star Commander. He has a website featuring his art (but no model rocket stuff anymore) www.shrox.com
Nifty!

Full name, Douglas Shrock.
He also was a model rocket designer and graphic artist for Apogee Components as well as Quest.
Really cool designs.
I love my Apogee (Dynastar) Firefox.
Apogee (Dynastar) - Firefox | The Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Fliskits also produced some, including the Alien8. Shrox is definitely one the all-time great sci-fi rocket designers. Also one of the greatest enthusiasts of using ping pong balls. He dropped some vague hints that he'd be doing some work for the new Estes owners, but it's not clear if anything will come of that.

In the meantime, for the ultimate Shrox experience, check out this utterly insane build thread by @DavidQ (aka David Qualman of Qualman Rocketry)... where he builds *all* of the Shrox designs: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/shrox-kits.48824/. There will be ping pong balls aplenty.

Fliskits also produced some, including the Alien8. Shrox is definitely one the all-time great sci-fi rocket designers. Also one of the greatest enthusiasts of using ping pong balls. He dropped some vague hints that he'd be doing some work for the new Estes owners, but it's not clear if anything will come of that.

In the meantime, for the ultimate Shrox experience, check out this utterly insane build thread by @DavidQ (aka David Qualman of Qualman Rocketry)... where he builds *all* of the Shrox designs: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/shrox-kits.48824/. There will be ping pong balls aplenty.
Love me some Qualman Rocketry! I found his store and bought a bunch of centering rings that had been on my shopping list! Thanks!

He has a website featuring his art (but no model rocket stuff anymore) www.shrox.com
This one would make a great scratch build:
1636378774049.png
The solar panel wings would be used for helicopter recovery.

Fliskits also produced some, including the Alien8.
That part I did not know. And it seems a bit weird, since Jim Flis does such a good job of his own Sci Fi designs. "Weird" is not the same as "bad", though; more cool designs is always good.

Last edited:
Back