New Estes Kits...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1332

Reaction score
First post here in a long time...but atleast I'm finally back....:)

Which of the new Estes kits do you plan on buyig first? (I don't think they have been released yet, but I may be wrong) I'll probably get a SpaceShipOne before it gets snatched up since it is the winning X-Prize design. These kits look really nice, and are deffinatly going to be collector's items someday, and they are deffinatly going to look great in flight.
So which one are you going to buy first?:)

all of them or whatever I can get my hands on first.

I make sure to get atleast one of every new kit going on 5 years now.. that may change finally, because I probably will not buy the Oracle. I'm building a pencam rocket to make up for it tho.

welcome back!

Originally posted by gladiator1332
First post here in a long time...but atleast I'm finally back....:)

Which of the new Estes kits do you plan on buyig first? (I don't think they have been released yet, but I may be wrong) I'll probably get a SpaceShipOne before it gets snatched up since it is the winning X-Prize design. These kits look really nice, and are deffinatly going to be collector's items someday, and they are deffinatly going to look great in flight.
So which one are you going to buy first?:)

Spaceship One. I'm not going to buy the Canadian Arrow, because I'm converting an Estes V2 as well as a 4" scratch (LOC and PML parts) V2 to that one.

Pre-ordered a Space ship one. I'd like to get the Vangaurd too. They supposed to be out in November. Hope it's early November! :D

Pat

I've preorded Space Ship One and the Canadian Arrow. Also, the non-X prize Eagle Boost Glider.

The Space Ship One will be a nice demo model for a rocketry class I'm planning to do in the spring. I have high hopes that the Canadian Arrow will be better than the usual V2. I'll probably build with it with at least a E engine mount and maybe a 29mm.

-- Jim

I am hoping to find a kit for the Canadian Arrow so I can convert it to a V-2 model

The Rubicon is the model calling to me the loudest, so far. The Gauchito is a close second.

However - It'll be availability which will no doubt make my final decision for me. :rolleyes:

Probably going to buy one of each, at least the ones that aren't E2X or quick builds. I guess Estes had no guarantee that SpaceshipOne was going to be successful so early, but they could have sold them in record time if they had them ready for the shelves a week ago. I know if I were a martketing guy there, I'm on the phone to China telling them hire up so more underage kids to speed up the production. I firmly believe their sales rate will be inversely proportional to the time it tales them to get the kits on the shelf.

And besides........I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

ehobbies-com_1817_391775220

If'n I can rustle up the funds, I'd really like to buy two of each. One full set to build/display/fly, and one to keep in the original packaging for the next 30 years, then sell for my retirement funding!

WW

I hear the Rubicon, Canadian Arrow, and The Scissor Wing calling me. I hear the Scissor Wing is going to be a limited production run so I'll be sure to snap one up.:D

I love the looks of the Rubicon, that'll probably be my first X-Prize and the Lucky Seven due to it's low cost.:D

Originally posted by powderburner
I am hoping to find a kit for the Canadian Arrow so I can convert it to a V-2 model

The Texas chainsaw body tube massacre?

Originally posted by wwattles
If'n I can rustle up the funds, I'd really like to buy two of each. One full set to build/display/fly, and one to keep in the original packaging for the next 30 years, then sell for my retirement funding!

WW

Sad part is, some person will pay threought the nose for "a collector's item"

A

I got the dope from Estes. They hope to have them in by mid to late November. They dont even have the paper work yet. It's on a slow boat from commi china!:kill:
hobbyman

Originally posted by wwattles

WW

This might not be the popular viewpoint, but I think those rockets will be worth less, not more (adjusted for inflation), in 30 years.:(
Why? Because right now is the peak for model rockets and mostly the ones from the "early days". I don't think that will change. The excitement of growing up during the "space race" and building these models at the same time in an age before video games and computers, makes that particular period the one most BARs want to capture for themselves and to pass on to their kids. Maybe the shuttle will be a rallying point for some, but nothing like pre-mercury, mercury, gemini, and apollo. Just looking through my 1969 centuri catalog makes me feel 11 again:) That's what makes the prices for these kits so high (and we can afford them now!). After retirement, I doubt we'll pursue it so hard. I certainly will be happily surprised if I'm wrong.;)

I have a strong feeling that the new Estes X-Prize Canadian Arrow kit is the same as the V-2 that Estes produced in a limited production run back in 2000.

Even though I have the V-2, I still plan to get it along with all the other X-Prixe kits.:D

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
I have a strong feeling that the new Estes X-Prize Canadian Arrow kit is the same as the V-2 that Estes produced in a limited production run back in 2000.

Even though I have the V-2, I still plan to get it along with all the other X-Prixe kits.:D

Isn't the Canadian Arrow longer than a stock V-2?

I'm asking this without referring to any dimensions or anything, but I seem to remember something about it's being longer.

If *everyone* keeps a kit in the bag for 30 years..... we won't have to be selling them to each other! Part of "collectible" is based on available supply. Back in the 60s/70s rocket people were building and flying without much thought to "hey, I could keep this and then sell it".

Most of the hugely desireable stuff is the stuff that nobody figured should be kept. There were thousands and thousands of WWII warplanes just after the war. They were outdated "old technology". Sold for scrap. Now a P-51 is in the neighborhood of 1M.

I don't suppose anyone will want my "unwanted pile" ? :)

N

It is longer but uses some of the same parts. BT-80. Specs are on the product sheet.

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets

Back