New Estes kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Goose_in_CO
Back to the Renegade....

I picked one up at my local Hobby shop on Friday, and haven't opened it yet. Living in Colorado does have some advantages:D .

However I can tell you that this looks like a kitbasher's delight.
The body tube is Big Bertha size, It is two stage (read Two motor mounts), there are 4 of the BT-5 Nose cones for those neat silver pods that you see, and the Big nose cone has a cockpit molded into it. there are 4 different sizes of body tubes, don't know all of the lengths yet.

The kit itself has a picture on the cover of the model staging. the sustainer is your basic 3FNC, and the booster has those neat pods mounted to it. Since the model pictures are all black, it is difficult to see where the seperation point is, and what part the fins are connected to.

Goose

I was looking at this one at Hobby Lobby on Friday during the 1/2off sale and passed. I'll get back to it later, probably.

One thing is for sure - with relatively low flights on a staged rocket, I would definitely modify the booster to take a D12-0 staged to a C motor (at least.) A simple swing test would then determine if any nose weight was necessary after that mod. But with all those fins and pods and stuff, it seems that the weight would not be needed.

Originally posted by Micromister
Eugene:
I had a great time with my Optima..but was very disappointed with the 100 foot flights on the single D12-3 motors:( After badly crashing her on a mistaken D12-5 motor installation, I added 3 permanent D12 strap-ons boosting the power to a 4 - D12 cluster, really made one heck of a difference in performance:) I sent this pic to estes and to MR mag. but they never published it. I still fly her every so often just for the KICK:D

Doug:
I don't have any of the plastic Mini-Mars Landers, but I still have 8 or 9 for the regular Mini- Mars landers. I'll Look, if you want one we can discuss it later:)

What would you estimate the altitude to be on that 4 x D engine Optima? My Optima is #2 in line with what's either in progress or "on deck" when I return from the holiday vacation. I am planning to build it as a 3 engine cluster set up for 3 x E9's and was curious to hear how accurate the RSIM altitude estimate is (about 1600 ft.)

Originally posted by astronboy
Ahhh!! I can't type!!

Yes, Kellner :rolleyes:

well, no... :)

Doug is right, I designed the original Mini-Mars Lander

My full up plans appeared in American Spacemodeling (now called Sport Rocketry) 6-9 months before Estes decided to come out with it.

Upon contacting Estes, they determined that my design of the mini-mars lander inspired them to come up with one of their own. They changed it from mine in that the markings on mine matched the original Mars Lander.

They made good on it and apologized, acknowledging that I came up with the design.

The design in AmSpam lacked spring loaded landing gear (the instructions took more room than AmSpam would allow) so I mentioned that I had such plans for anyone who wanted them.

jim

WOW!!

Any chance that you can share a pic ?

I would LOVE to see a kit... ESTES cannot cry if you designed it ...

Jim,

Any chance of making your original plan available to the members of TRF???

I'm still so siked (sp?) about the spaceplane contest!! Anyone interested in an informal lander contest??

Originally posted by cydermaster
I'll certainly be getting one of those, when Deepsky get them in.
OK - Impatience got the better of me, and I ordered the Renegade directly from the States, from Hobbylinc. I was taking a bit of a gamble, 'cos they don't let you know the shipping cost (for overseas orders), until they charge your card. I needn't of worried ... $22.44 for the kit and shipping to the UK (insurance included). Thats about £13-14 in real money - BARGIN! :D

Back