New Estes Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I just received my July/August 2021 issue of Sport Rocketry magazine.

The inside cover has a new Estes ad featuring the Super Mars Snooper, DARC-1 and a new kit named Vesta Intruder (#7312).

It uses 24mm motors and stands over two feet tall.

Hopefully more details will be available soon.

SR July August 21 Estes Ad.jpg

Cool! That issue is available in digital form on the NAR web site. Good to see that the DARC-1 and SMS should be available this month!

Looks interesting. As with many kits, that single perspective view makes it hard to fully grasp the design of the rocket. I look forward to seeing more.

Is that another new nose cone mold?

Also, I foresee a lot of broken fins on landings....

Neil, have to agree that the fins on the Vestra Intruder look like they would be susceptible to breaking. I definitely would look at finding some way to reinforce them. Papering would probably be the easiest for people I guess.

I'm interested in that Vestra... A new nosecone... I'm interested in what new possibilities that'll open up.

The flame coming out of those new Estes Rockets is that mojave green, classic and blue thunder?

That paint scheme on the Snooper is very retro, right out of the early 70's catalogs. It's a BT-55 so about a 1/3 upscale from the original. Looking forward to it!

The Darc-1 has a design I've never seen before. I think I get it but I'll need more pics to make sure.

The Darc-1 has a design I've never seen before. I think I get it but I'll need more pics to make sure.

The DARC-1 features a blow-molded main structure, and is very unlike anything Estes has released before. I had the opportunity to build a pre-release version a few months ago, and have a pair of videos to share soon after the kit is released.

At the $29.99 price currently shown on the Estes "Coming Soon" page it will be a screamer of a value.

James

Looks like the DARC-1 kit has migrated from "Coming Soon" to "New" on the Estes website.

EDIT: Here's a photo of a completed kit, albeit highly modified. I'll be posting an unboxing video tomorrow that will feature a bit on how to trim the blow molded shroud part without drawing blood. A few days after that I will be posting the Beowulf of build videos, demonstrating how this beastie was built, painted, decaled, and weathered.

James
3613665D-E58B-44A8-98BC-BE6D3544A33B.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to the Vesta Intruder. The nosecone will open up some very interesting scratchbuilding opportunities, I suspect. :)

The fins are reinforced with thin card stock on both sides so they are pretty strong. The Dark Blue shows the outline of the card stock. I've also attached a close up of the new nose cone. It's pretty long as well as having an unusual shape

Attachments

• Vista Fins.jpg
    Vista Fins.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Vista Fins 2.jpg
    Vista Fins 2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 63
Anyone know how successful Estes's Space Corps concept has been in increasing sales and generating more interest in Estes rockets? I find the concept interesting, personally.

The fins are reinforced with thin card stock on both sides so they are pretty strong. The Dark Blue shows the outline of the card stock. I've also attached a close up of the new nose cone. It's pretty long as well as having an unusual shape
More than the other recent molds (e.g.: DARC, Mars Longship), this one seems to have interesting possibilities for re-use.

This rocket has a good alien vibe to it. I'm not sure, but is that a plasma core of sorts at the aft end?

Finally: by calling it "Space Corps Vesta Intruder" it makes it sound like a Space Corps vessel, but its backstory is that it is alien and hostile. That would be sort of like saying "Rebel Alliance Tie Fighter".

I hope at some point Estes will consider selling the nosecone as a separate part. Way cool. :)

I'd like all of them but I already have 5-6 unbuilt kits down the line.
What I need is someone to buy them, build them and launch them for me.
:popcorn:
😁

Last edited:

Thanks for a great new design! I love the sci-fi and odd rocs. It will be added to my build pile!

Got the Vesta Intruder today, am really liking the design. Though I do have to wonder why it was designed with a 12" BT-60 body tube and then the nosecone uses 2 pats of clay as noseweight, versus using a longer body tube and either reducing or eliminating the clay? I was under the impression that Estes usually preferred to use stock body tube lengths instead of "custom" ones?

Still, I look forward to building this one after I get my Mean Machine done.

Back