New Estes 3” Der Big Red Max coming soon!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Estes website let’s you enter your email to be notified once the 3” MDRM is available.

Did it---thanks!

On a semi-related note, the reason I have leftover F-16 engines that I want to use on the Der Red Max is I built an Estes Ascender to use them on. First flight---no parachute opening, came in balistically. End of rocket.

So I built another one. Exact same result. I fly near horses and in-coming rocket failures like that scare the heck out of me.

I've been building and flying rockets since about 1965 and while I don't claim to be a master modler, I can put together a functonal rocket.

So, Im wondering---has any one else experienced this Ascender failure mode? I don't want to get another after this, so I'm hoping the Red Max will solve my excess F-16 engine problem. Thanks for any input!!

Thanks for that info, Scott. From what you're saying , my discount dealer HobbyLink, will be one of the last to get new kits like this? So, I should order direct from Estes for timely delivery come the release??

I don't mind paying more. But on the other hand, my flying field is my in-laws farm, three hours away and we're not going there to fly until we're all vaccinated.

So, I guess it's a race between my getting vaccinated versus the new Der Red Max makes it to market??!!!
Hah! Take the vaccine - the Max will be around awhile so we need to be too.

Hah! Take the vaccine - the Max will be around awhile so we need to be too.

Not to worry---I'm all in for the vaccine. Just wating on my PCP to tell me he's got it. My wife's already got her's (furst shot).

Then int's on to Red Max...

It's available on the Estes site now. I just bought mine. Free shipping for orders over $50. Since it's 49.99 I bought a spare DBRM parachute to get over $50. I usually order from the discount places but with free shipping it works out.

As of right now you will still find it under the coming soon section.

Last edited:
That was 1750... it’s now 1937 CST. Sold Out. Didn’t even get the Email I signed up for 🤬. This on top of the USPS playing Guess Where Your Package from Mach1 is (ordered in November) and I’m about give up buying online. I can drive to Wichita and buy what I want AND get motors for no HazMat fee.

That was 1750... it’s now 1937 CST. Sold Out. Didn’t even get the Email I signed up for 🤬. This on top of the USPS playing Guess Where Your Package from Mach1 is (ordered in November) and I’m about give up buying online. I can drive to Wichita and buy what I want AND get motors for no HazMat fee.
Sorry to tease you, Phillip. I'll bet they have them back in stock first thing in the morning. Someone on here once described how Estes' online stock numbers work and they replenish the numbers sometimes many times a day.

Sorry to tease you, Phillip. I'll bet they have them back in stock first thing in the morning. Someone on here once described how Estes' online stock numbers work and they replenish the numbers sometimes many times a day.
After a Manhattan and my 2nd CoVid shot... not necessarily in that order I’m not worried.

I called Estes this morning and spoke with Sandra. I told her that someone had placed an order but the web page was broken now. She didn't know it was available yet. She did get the page fixed so you can put yourself on the list to be notified. She checked and people had placed several orders yesterday. She said they would check into it and figure out if it really was available or not.

I called Estes this morning and spoke with Sandra. I told her that someone had placed an order but the web page was broken now. She didn't know it was available yet. She did get the page fixed so you can put yourself on the list to be notified. She checked and people had placed several orders yesterday. She said they would check into it and figure out if it really was available or not.
It better be!! They took my money.

Talked to JumpJet, and he wasn't 100% on the decals being stickers or waterslide (but was fairly sure they're stickers). He mentioned that some markings may be missing (likely the nosecone decal I'm guessing). The shape is a "perfect upscale to 3" for the kit, with 1/8" TTW balsa fins, their heavy plastic parachute, and laser-cut fiberboard centering rings.

Talked to JumpJet, and he wasn't 100% on the decals being stickers or waterslide (but was fairly sure they're stickers). He mentioned that some markings may be missing (likely the nosecone decal I'm guessing). The shape is a "perfect upscale to 3" for the kit, with 1/8" TTW balsa fins, their heavy plastic parachute, and laser-cut fiberboard centering rings.
A little disappointed about the (probable) self-stick decals - I’d rather have a nylon chute but that’s not a big deal - but it’s going to be a great flying rocket, especially on 29mm BP motors!

A little disappointed about the (probable) self-stick decals - I’d rather have a nylon chute but that’s not a big deal - but it’s going to be a great flying rocket, especially on 29mm BP motors!
This kit definitely deserved better. But I guess that is why I don’t run a business.

This kit definitely deserved better. But I guess that is why I don’t run a business.
We in the active enthusiast realm tend to forget that we’re just not Estes primary customers and kits aren’t their big moneymaker - their distributors and major retailers (who are their primary customers) will only buy so many of anything at a certain price and selling motors is where they reportedly make their money. I agree, a bigger/better version of something as iconic as Der Red Max deserves the deluxe treatment, but it appears that the cost/benefit calculation doesn’t work for waterslide decals and nylon chutes. Pity, but I’ll still be buying the kit - maybe a couple when they hit the online discount sites - and probably hit up Stickershock for a set of decals.

Self Stick Decals.
Plastic Parachute.
Fiber board (pressed paper) centering rings.
Singly ply 1/8" balsa fins? A little confused here.
No engine block.
No engine retainer.
Something is extremely wrong with the minds of the bean counters!
For most of us we wouldn't mind adding thin ply centering rings for added heft.
But all the rest of the cheap things? Is this really worth it as a kit? Or are you just buying a BT, EM & Nose cone to use?
I feel like this is a HUGE let down, and a slap in the face!
And I'm not even MAX fan!
Makes me wonder what else will be coming to use in the future with such little concern for serious modelers/flyers?
This release certainly isn't going to get the new owners any Brownie Points!
And I thought Estes was on it's way back to quality kits...
I don't like being negative, so I'll just say if I get one I'll be using 3 pieces from the kit and ordering Vinyl!

No engine block.
No engine retainer.
Do you have some info about no engine retainer? I checked the Estes website page and don’t see anything about engine retention - considering they include the 29mm screw on retainer with the other recent builder PSII kits I’d figure it’s in this one too. No engine block is there but I don’t see anything about retention.

Do you have some info about no engine retainer? I checked the Estes website page and don’t see anything about engine retention - considering they include the 29mm screw on retainer with the other recent builder PSII kits I’d figure it’s in this one too. No engine block is there but I don’t see anything about retention.
I don't believe it. If it does not come with the standard Estes 29mm screw retainer I will be *shocked*.

I thought I read that some where, but I can't seam to locate where again.
I may come with a plastic retainer.
I didn't know anyone used the plastic retainers?
The one's I've seen on the E2X kits (not my kits) were melted after the first use.
I thought everyone used the Aluminum ones?
I have some of those plastic ones in 24mm & 29mm that were sent to me, but I never planned on using them.
I figured it would be a waste of time and a head ache to replace when they melt.

Have the plastic ones on multiple 18/24/29mm rockets, haven't had any issues yet. Used BP and composites in them.

I figured it would be a waste of time and a head ache to replace when they melt.
The screw-retainers that Estes includes with PSII and some LPR kits do not melt, barring extraordinary circumstance. They are excellent.

You might be thinking of some of the various twist-lock retainers that are used in some RTF and E2X LPR models. I've never had a problem with them either, but they are quite different from the retainers in question.

The screw-retainers that Estes includes with PSII and some LPR kits do not melt, barring extraordinary circumstance. They are excellent.

You might be thinking of some of the various twist-lock retainers that are used in some RTF and E2X LPR models. I've never had a problem with them either, but they are quite different from the retainers in question.
Some of mine are a bit scorched and the do tend to erode a bit but none have actually melted. Even the oldest retainer on my Star Orbiter is perfectly serviceable after dozens of launches.

Some of my homemade retainers made from Gatorade and water bottle screw tops are a bit melty 😉

Pictures posted on the Estes fan FB page confirm there is a screw on engine retainer, card stock centering rings and a plastic skull and bones printed plastic chute - though it looks bigger than 18”. There are pictures of the nose cone posted here on TRF too and it looks good, ready for those upsized Citation Patriots, Omegas and Mean Machines!

Back