New EMRR Virtual Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CURSE YOU DARTH COX!!!

You have once again proven that you ARE the Dark Overlord of Rocksim! An off the cuff, last minute entry by you still wins and shows us mere rocketeers not to doubt your mastery!

Nick,

I can no longer get to the EMRR site either from home or work! I get a DNS error each time I try to view your site. What's up with that? Can you post the results here?

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Congrats David! You placed amongst excellent company! Whereas I only placed 5th, it still is my best showing to date!

I can't wait to read Chan's tips and tricks article. I am eager to learn his methodology! I made more test flights on this model with more different motor combinations than I'd care to admit...

Unfortunately, I still won't be able to play in the Masters tourney, but them's the breaks! I've always had loads of fun designing and testing my contest entries and placed well enough to win some nice prizes, so I not that disappointed.

For those of you who can't get to EMRR, like Bruce, here are the standings:

1-Bob Cox
2-David Allen
3-Chan Stevens
4-Andy Peart
5-Todd Mullin
6-Ben Levinson
7-Phil Handley
8-Bill Cooke
8-Dave Austerberry
8-Doug Gardei
9-Bruce Levinson

Excellent designs gang! Congrats to the new comer Ben Levinson!

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
CURSE YOU DARTH COX!!!

You have once again proven that you ARE the Dark Overlord of Rocksim! An off the cuff, last minute entry by you still wins and shows us mere rocketeers not to doubt your mastery!
Stop groveling, it's unbecoming... oh, okay, you may grovel just a bit more. :D

BTW, "last-minute" just means I got started late and finished REALLY late. My "off-the-cuff" entry still took me about 8-10 hours and close to 100 simulated flights. That's less than the 20-40 hours I have put into some other contests, but it's not like this was a total free ride, either.

Originally posted by chanstevens
OK, this would wind up hurting me rather than helping, but aren't the event points supposed to be something like 10 for first, 7 for second, etc.
Chan was right. Under the "classic" scoring system, Chan and Todd would have tied for 2nd place. (Maybe a "virtual 2nd" would be good enough to get Todd an invite to the Masters Tournament?)

-----

To my old nemesis Chan, Todd, and all the rest of you who were talking trash, thank you. That gave me the inspiration to come back and crush you like the slimy little vermin that you are. :kill:

Congratulations to David Allen, who proved that his high debut in VC#9 was not just a beginner's luck. I'm going to have to keep my eye on you for the next contest.

Thanks to Nick for continuing to host these contests and all the other great work at EMRR, and to the sponsors for donating all the prizes.

Finally, a big THANK YOU to Claude for creating and running this challenging contest, I know how much work it is to run one. Nice job!

- AND, I have a great (self-appraised) idea for the next VC Contest...

Nick

Originally posted by RaVen1357
2nd place again, not bad. :D

Beat 3rd place by 0.3 points :D Love those bonuses :cool:

You sneaky, earlybird rookie dog...In the last few contests the bonuses were insignificant, so I blew this one off. Looks like that was not the brightest strategy I've ever deployed.

Of course, I noticed it's been a while since anyone got any build bonuses. Maybe it's time to revisit that concept. For this contest, who was going to build a behemoth (and fly on L2 motors) for a meager point or two? I'd like to see a combination in future contests where the design is more achievable for us builder-types, and the reward for building/flying is more attractive.

I was DELIGHTED to see the other contest running on EMRR--outstanding prizes, and it's all about actually building and flying something.

For me, Rocksim is kind of boring. I suppose with these VC's it can be used like a computer game, but I mainly use it to model stuff I want to scratch build, in particular for NAR competition where the stability might be marginal for peak performance.

Just had a thought that I felt that I should pass along regarding the Masters.

How about two tournaments at the same time? One class of the top three from any former contest and one for everyone else? This would allow everyone who wants to to still participate and not make someone new who is interested in competing (an admittedly select crowd) wait for several months for the next contest cycle.

Another thought along the golf lines... How about a "pro-am"? A contest where people get to play in pairs? Just a thought...

Congrats David! You placed amongst excellent company!
Thank you :D
Congratulations to David Allen, who proved that his high debut in VC#9 was not just a beginner's luck. I'm going to have to keep my eye on you for the next contest.
You sneaky, earlybird rookie dog...
Aha, but I see that you've won your share through sneaky early bird bonuses... ;)
Please, do tell...
I've an idea of my own that I'd like considered.

Of course, I noticed it's been a while since anyone got any build bonuses. Maybe it's time to revisit that concept. For this contest, who was going to build a behemoth (and fly on L2 motors) for a meager point or two? I'd like to see a combination in future contests where the design is more achievable for us builder-types, and the reward for building/flying is more attractive.
Good point. I'd thought about that myself. Like you said, it's usually not worth the effort to build and fly your entry, so maybe more points are in order. But then, this is a "Virtual contest" and we don't want it to depend on real rockets. One thing we could try, limiting the impluse to "D" or less in a contest would certainly produce more buildable designs.

I am away this weekend so prize selection will begin on Monday.

Regards,
Nick

Originally posted by EMRR

Nick

I have a great idea too :D. Something original. Something never done before :D.

Originally posted by BobCox

Finally, a big THANK YOU to Claude for creating and running this challenging contest, I know how much work it is to run one. Nice job!

You're welcome!

Interestingly enough this week has been crazy for me. Work related projects, home related projects, simulations... I barely managed to get the write-ups to Nick in time to get posted, and I did not get much time to read the postings here...

I'm really glad you guys enjoyed the contest. I have participated in many VRCs in the past, and was fortunate enough to win a couple nice prizes :D . But it is a different kind of satisfaction I got from running and judging a VRC. It was challenging, gratifying, and also very informative...

Would I do it again? Yes !

Right away? No!

Right now I am itching to compete in a VRC, create my own design and then go through the agonizing wait for the results :p

I am glad to read that several of you have ideas for future contests. I like them just as much as I like to design, build and fly real rockets.

I can't wait for the next one (and the associated trash talk).:rolleyes:

Claude

Back