New EMRR Virtual Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sent in my entry! Gotta love these virtual rocket contests!

Don't let being new to rocksim hold you back from entering, being a newbie you actually get a bonus!

The deadline for the latest EMRR Virtual Rocket Contest is less than two weeks away.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/contest_current.shtml

So far we only have three qualified entries.

Is anybody working on an entry? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
Early-bird bonus points will be given to all entries submitted this
week. If not, let me know why not, so we can make improvements to the contest.

-- Bob Cox
-- Guest Judge, EMRR Virtual Contest #5
-- M A I L : emrr_virtual5 (at) hotmail (dot) com

I am working on one... but this is my least favorite of the virtual contests thus far - reasons -

Slim selection of rocket motors
Only boosters allowed are black powder (at least that is how I read it)
very small flying feild
unrealistic misfire rates for composites. I use magnelite igniters, where my rate of mifires are less than 1%
Then you got some interesting parameter requirements... like the 1/4" minimum for balsa fins...

Very challenging contest... and taking a look at the prizes offered... really nothing there that piques my interest enough to make me want to hurry on my entry...

Besides all that, the static margins for the half exposed and exposed cases can be meaningless, see:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter133.pdf

I am on my fith design and still can not get a satisfactory performance of either of these two possibilities with one caliber of stability. I guess I will have to use the fully enclosed choice which adds a huge weight penalty.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Thank you Doug and Bruce. I appreciate the honest feedback. I will work on tweaking the rules, but must do so in a manner that is fair to those who have already submitted their entries.

I have also sent each of you private replies.

Originally posted by BobCox

Is anybody working on an entry? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
I'll pass..... :p NO, No , thats a JOKE :p I'm working on an entry, but if it doesn't work out i'll just have to punt......:(
Question for Bob > Contest #4 Field Goal. The wind strength and variability are not specified. It does say default conditions. does this mean Calm (0-2mph) Fairly constant for this event??

Thanx

BTW welcome to the forum!!!:)

Question for Bob > Contest #4 Field Goal. The wind strength and variability are not specified. It does say default conditions. does this mean Calm (0-2mph) Fairly constant for this event??
Yes, that's right.

If you click on the words "default conditions" in the rules on EMRR, it will show you the RockSim settings screen.

In RockSim 7, I just press the "Reset to standard day conditions" button, then change Cloud Coverage to "No Thermals". The Launch guide length remembers its last setting, so I set it to 48 inches and leave it there for all events.

BTW welcome to the forum!!!
Thanks. I have been a mostly-silent lurker on RMR for about 2 years now. EMRR Nick had good things to say about TRF, so I figured I'd post over here as well. The signal-to-noise is definitely better here.

Bob, you did not specify no thermals (Like you did for 1 - 3) for event 4 or 5. I assumed that you wanted their default settings which is Sunny 0-10%. I already sent mine in, so if want no thermals for event 4 and 5, I will have to make adjustments... because that will push up my means, and to many results will fall out of bounds.

Bob, you did not specify no thermals (Like you did for 1 - 3) for event 4 or 5. I assumed that you wanted their default settings which is Sunny 0-10%.
No, I think thermals blow, so they are disabled for ALL events. I have asked Nick to re-word the rules to make that clearer.

I already sent mine in, so if want no thermals for event 4 and 5, I will have to make adjustments...
Sure, go ahead, make the adjustments.

O.K. looking at the other competition settings, will there be any model loss, recovery device failures or payload damage?? Do we need to stay within some bounds on speed of deployment?? Speed of touchdown??

TIA

O.K. looking at the other competition settings, will there be any model loss, recovery device failures or payload damage?? Do we need to stay within some bounds on speed of deployment?? Speed of touchdown??
We just changed the Q/A section to clarify some of these points, but here is your answer:

Model Loss: You must stay in-bounds on the Punt and Hail Mary Events. All other events have no out-of-bounds limits, and no model loss.

Recovery Device Failures: For this contest, I will only check the deployment speed on the Gentle Touch event. I could not find a combination that did NOT shred the chute on the Passing Attack event, so I decided to suspend that rule.

Landing Speed: I will enforce the landing speed limit of 20 fps. (It was 15 fps in previous contests).

Payload Damage: Only if you land faster than 20 fps.

Disclaimer: If I said anything here that contradicts the rules posted on EMRR, believe the posted rules.

This is the final weekend for the EMRR Virtual Rocket Football Lofting Contest.

We had a big flurry of activity last weekend and are up tp 10 entries so far. Hurry up and get your entry in before the NFL kick-off this weekend (1 PM Eastern, 10 AM Pacific).

-- Bob Cox
M A I L : emrr_virtual5 (at) hotmail (dot) com

The entries for EMRR Virtual Contest #5 are finalized and posted on EMRR.

Everybody, please pick out your favorites and cast your vote.

-- Bob Cox

When I got the first e-mail, I said oh boy! and loaded it up to vote on my favorites... but then I decided not to vote (at least right away), the reason, we can't vote for ourselves....

Well, then... Since I can't vote for mine either...how about we cut a deal to vote for each others designs?;)

Okay...so I guess that would be unethical as well ... :(

Originally posted by RocketmanTM

Okay...so I guess that would be unethical as well ... :(
Yur right! The only proper thing to do is have you all vote for ME!!!;) :p

Today is the final day of voting for EMRR Virtual Contest #5.
Even if you didn't participate in the contest, we'd still like you to express your opinion. Vote here for your favorite design.

Check back tomorrow as the flight results are unveiled.

-- Bob Cox

Posted my votes. Can't wait till tomorrow... see what kind of interesting results happen with the sims. This was a challenging contest with many varibles.

I can't wait either...like a kid at X-mas.... Gotta say that there are a wide variety of designs in this one.

Can't wait to see what the whacky minds at EMRR kick out for the next contest!

Results for Events 1-3 Posted. Event 3 could have been called the Attack
of the Bad Luck Fairy.

-- Bob Cox
-- Guest Judge

I'd say. Just this morning my mothership had second place... then we get the first contest where it can drift out of bounds... and lets just say that lady luck has to be on your side... and with the sims I did figured I had a 20% chance of going out of bounds... with the rocket landing anywhere from -450 to +450... 80% of sims landing within -300 to +300.... Looks like I rolled snake eyes this time... now I am down to 5th place. Dave is still #1.

Is Rocksim 8 slippin out of my hands?... who knows.... Event 4 and 5 will either make it, or break it :D. Who knows... I may roll better in the final two...

It's all good!

Originally posted by n3tjm
I'd say. Just this morning my mothership had second place... then we get the first contest where it can drift out of bounds... and lets just say that lady luck has to be on your side... and with the sims I did figured I had a 20% chance of going out of bounds... with the rocket landing anywhere from -450 to +450... 80% of sims landing within -300 to +300.... Looks like I rolled snake eyes this time...
Yeah, I had similar results in my sims, but somehow managed to net 527.4 feet downrange. I only had that kinda results when I accidently had the thermals turned on. :mad:
Oh well, Time for some football cliche's......." it aint over till its over", "never say die", "you win championships with defense", "we're going to have to give 110% from here on", "They have to stop the big play", "They have to take care of the football", and " stick to their game plan" :kill:

"Time for a great second effort"

Bad luck fairy? How 'bout 2 out of 4 events misfiring on my only 29mm motor and the 18mm's fizzing away to just clear the rod and DQ? The real irony is that I was hoping to snag the Rcketflight electric match package, since I had (3) copperheads fail on me over the past month...

Now I'm left to hope there's a booby prize for most pathetic flight performances.

Looks like I am back up in the ranks :). 3rd place with the current scores. Contest is almost over... will I hold my place? Will I gain a lead? Will I drop down my head in defeat? Only time will tell :).

Welcome to the forum chanstevens - sorry to hear about your bad luck. There is still a chance :). More contests to go... more chance for me and others to fall, and you to rise in glory :D. Good choice on aiming for the Magnelites. Great set. I use them exclusively now. I have 2 bottles of pyrogen... I do a lot of dippin ;). I hope you get what you want :).

Me.... I aim aiming for Rocksim 8, 2nd choice is the Jon Rockets giftcard.... he has some nice products on his site. 3rd choice, I am not sure what I want for third? hmm.... :D.

Eagerly waiting final results

Yeah, I had similar results in my sims, but somehow managed to net 527.4 feet downrange. I only had that kinda results when I accidently had the thermals turned on.

After seeing this post, I did find a mistake I made in entering Jim's flight settings for this event. Even on the re-flight with the correct settings it still drifted out of bounds. Just to make sure that was not a fluke, I ran it 3 more times, and 3 out of 4 flights still drifted out.

I e-mailed Jim and Nick privately with the details. The results remain unchanged.

Originally posted by BobCox
After seeing this post, I did find a mistake I made in entering Jim's flight settings for this event. Even on the re-flight with the correct settings it still drifted out of bounds. Just to make sure that was not a fluke, I ran it 3 more times, and 3 out of 4 flights still drifted out.

I e-mailed Jim and Nick privately with the details. The results remain unchanged.

Bob, I wanted to say publically as I said in my email, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was complaining that something was unfair, I was not. I was just grumbling about my bad luck.

Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication running the contests!!!

"it looks like were in four down territory here"

Taking a look at EMRR, I noticed that they posted the Final Results.

Congrats to Dave Austerberry! He got first place :). After watching him win event after event, I knew he had a strong enough lead to survive alll but the worst in the more challenging and luck-driven events. He held his own. My hat's off to him :)

I trailed in Second Place :). A respectable posistion concidering I had a bad batch of Magnelites in the Hail Mary event, and the mothership went AWOL in event 3. It was a bit discerning to see my rocket go from 2nd, to 5th, to 3rd.... and then with one more event to post... waiting to see what will happen.... Bob is good at keeping us at suspense. But it looks like I did all right :). I wonder... if it wasn't for the AWOL and Misfire... where would my rocket be?

Congrats to Jeff Caldwell with his Viking Destroyer, who won third place. Great looking design. :). And congrats to all the other contestance. All of you had great designs :).

Dave, I guess when Bob is Ready... you can choose your prize :D.

Bob, Thanks for such a great and challenging contest.

EMRR, When do we get to play again :D.

Back