New Eggtimer Quark Version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After being our of stock for about two months, the new version of the Eggtimer Quark is now available. Improvements to the older version (cir. 2015...) include:

* The same 10A current-limited, overload and short-circuit protected output drivers as the Eggtimer Proton
* Lower part count: two 8-pin drivers and two resistors replace nine resistors, two transistors, and then dreaded optoisolator
* Fully reverse-polarity protected
* Enhanced serial output telemetry for use with future products
* 4-pin output screw terminal block is now included

Availability is immediate, and as always thanks for your support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Less tiny parts is a good thing.

Wow, I read that wrong
Thought it said "enhanced, zero output telemetry..."; was wondering what that meant. But I now see it says serial rather than zero, so what is the new output? What does it send?

Aannddd...is a charge still required on both channels? I'm guessing yes since you didn't mention it.

The Quark still requires a load on each channel, unlike the Classic/Quantum/Proton there is no user interface to turn a channel "off". A small resistor (39 ohms or so) will do.

Timely as always... Is the footprint of the device (read: drill template) the same as the old?

-e

They're actually about 2mm closer... the new board is slightly smaller than the old one.

The Quark still requires a load on each channel, unlike the Classic/Quantum/Proton there is no user interface to turn a channel "off". A small resistor (39 ohms or so) will do.

No problem, just curious.

But what is the enhanced serial output?

Congrats on the new version, Cris. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Looking for some help on my TRS, I am trying to test the connection with Visual GPS as per Chris's instructions.
I am stuck on the initial GPS test using the Visual GPS application as that I don't see any data.
  • Prolific PL2303 driver has been installed and confirmed
  • On the Visual GPS there are more than one application so is there a specific one to use that will display $GP data screen? I have tried the ones from VisualGPS.net but neither show any data or connections. When connecting through the COM port it does see the Prolific interface but does ask for a BAUD rate? Was not sure what rate to use.
Also on the USB- Serial cable confirming that the BLACK wire goes to GROUND 3-pin header? Thinking the GREEN wire might be ground. Also only connecting 2 wires?
I have checked all the solder connections on the GPS pads and all looks good. I am even getting the LED blinking once per second, when I test outside. So not sure if I even have a problem.
Thanks

They recently changed the Visual GPS application, so it's a lot different than the one in the manual. You want the Command Monitor window to see the text, the Signal Quality window to see the satellites, the Navigation window to get the latitude/longitude, and the Azimuth and Elevation window. That should tell you if it's working or not.

Regarding the cable, BLACK is ground, WHITE is receive, and GREEN is transmit. You only need the BLACK and WHITE wires for this test, connect them per the instructions in the manual.

You must be an electrician... green is ground for house wiring, but black is almost always ground for low-voltage signals. In a past life I was a hardware/lighting/paint manager for Montgomery Ward, one of the things that we had to do was to hang lighting fixtures on the canopy. I had a guy working for me who was color blind, he mixed up the green and black wires all the time... until I got zapped while trying to take down a fixture and found out about it. I forbade him from hanging lights after that, and we had to check every single fixture to make sure they were wired correctly.

Back