New Dr. Zooch video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I don't like to do two-parters on YouTube, there is always an element of confusion. I just added the second part to the thread opener.

Last edited:
TOO KEWL!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Great special effects... especially the white room and staging, and the initial glide return from the 'chase plane' view...

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Magnificent. A shoe in for best documentary.

Did you get the SRBs back?

Did you get the SRBs back?

Every time- that scene was shot on 3 different launches. I'm actually flying the same SRBs this weekend at MDRA.

There's a lot of cool methods applied to this video- one of my favorites being the fuse delay launch and the cool smoke creaping up the side of the rocket- it is a method replicated from the way I used to launch back in the mid 1970s. Looks even better on video.

Every time- that scene was shot on 3 different launches. I'm actually flying the same SRBs this weekend at MDRA.

There's a lot of cool methods applied to this video- one of my favorites being the fuse delay launch and the cool smoke creaping up the side of the rocket- it is a method replicated from the way I used to launch back in the mid 1970s. Looks even better on video.

It was an artful and entertaining video. I bet it was as much fun to make and edit as it is to watch.

I had to invent some stuff to make it happen- the most important thing being the outrigger cam

4trf000rs.jpg

I had to invent some stuff to make it happen- the most important thing being the outrigger cam

I was wondering how you kept it stable since the video obviously was shot from a vantage point hanging way out front and way out in the breeze. Is it all done via nose weight or are there clear fins I'm not seeing?

Your video Kung Fu is much stronger than Marc McReynolds'. :neener::D

No hidden fins, simply 6 dowels of 1/8 inch dia. and two boostervision dot com gear cams- one dead and one live (I crash enough of them to be able to use a dead one for balance). The dowels are epoxyed in place and the wire runs into the main T50 body tube where the 9 volt battery is located. It's as simple as that. It took me less than a half hour to build, believe it or not.

This is still just about the most amazing setup I've ever seen. WAY KEWL!

So, did you add a "tail boom" to the lifting body for the 'chase plane' view of the lifting body recovery into the grass, or was that a 'special effect' and not really a gliding flight?? Seriously good and interesting cinematography in your vids, doc, especially the 'white room' retract sequence...

I did sorta similar vids 20 years ago when I was in high school in my pre-BAR days... Only then I had to MANUALLY edit everything using only my old VHS camcorder (nearly the size of the TV station ones in those days!) that had a seperate sound/vid recording capability in the 'editing' suite under a little cover on the back of the camcorder, and a pretty primitive but highly cool ancient "digital" Toshiba VCR that could do cool tricks like freeze frame TV transmissions, and playback stuff in ultra-clear perfectly stepless multi-rate slow motion. I had a tape of a documentary they used to show on Nova on PBS and stuff back then called "Man's Greatest Adventure" that was narrarated by Orson Welles telling the story of the Apollo program culminating in Apollo 11. I used a lot of the soundtrack from that dubbed over the actual rocket launches I had videotaped out here on the farm. I also dubbed a lot of the flights into slow motion and then timed them, and went back and re-dubbed the "MGA" soundtrack over the soundless slo-mo sequences, timed to liftoff or motor ignition so my astrocam lifting off in slo-mo rises to the sounds of a Saturn V lifting off. Considering how primitive the equipment and my methods were, I was surprised some of them turned out really well, some others, meh... After I had done a BUNCH in the "MGA" soundtrack I switched to the soundtrack of a new TV series I was REALLY into at the time, so a bunch of the later rockets lift off to the sounds of "Star Trek: The Next Generation", so there are two stagers flying off in slo-mo sounding like photon torpedoes being launched, phasers firing, and Captain Picard issuing orders in the heat of battle. Those are pretty cheesy... :D

I recently redubbed all that stuff and all the old family movies over to DVD, since those tapes are getting pretty old.

One of these days, if I ever learn the dark art of making a computer actually do something worthwhile, I'd like to maybe post those vids to Youtube and learn how to use modern computer editing stuff to make some new vids. That would be really cool... :) Just need to learn how to do this stuff!

Later! OL JR :)

If I told ya' how I did the chase plane shot, you'd be really disapointed... so I won't tell.

Much like the "Over the shoulder Ant-cam view" the most simple things can go really far.

If I told ya' how I did the chase plane shot, you'd be really disapointed... so I won't tell.

Much like the "Over the shoulder Ant-cam view" the most simple things can go really far.

The over the shoulder was a neat shot, as well as the ones from his 'feet' looking up toward the top of the ant space suit and canopy. I'm guessing you either used mirrors or mounted the cams in those positions. I have a boostervision too, but I've been relearning my "rocket chops" back before I really start messing with them (plus my "old" camcorder is still packed away SOMEWHERE in all the stuff we put in plastic tubs for Hurricane Rita and Ike over the past couple years and I haven't had the moxie to dig through it all to find it.) Plus, for some reason, I've been really into building tiny little ant scale models for the past year or so for some reason... :D Addictive little things!

We DID make some nice vids using the boostercam on my brother's RC monster trucks-- he's got a Traxxas E-Maxx and a TXT-1 and we mounted the thing in the cab, once behind the lexan body windshield which kinda screwed up the pic (distortion and not really 'optically clear') and once in an older body that he cut away part of the windshield (turned out pretty well) and we also mounted it to the frame looking out over the front tire, mounted it to the suspension just inside the front tire, under the front bumper looking forward (jump-cam and flip-cam) and on the frame looking down (driveshaft cam) which were all pretty cool and turned out really well.

I need to get the thing from him and start messing with it... OL JR :)

Going to the MDRA launch tomorrow and hauling a lot of video equipment... looks like the start of the next video :rolleyes:

MDRA results... 4 video flight, one crash, one dead boostervision gear cam, all ants walked (err... crawled) away alive, no by-standers killed or wounded and no windshields smashed. Not bad considering the way I do things:rolleyes:

What crashed and will it make the vid??

Always good when no BODY and no windshields were injured... Ants, not so much... LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

What crashed and will it make the vid??

That's the odd part that I'm still looking at. There were some odd tortions on the ants during the flight and prior to the crash. The cam, however, was ahead of the ants- so it was taken out before it could capture any moment of impact on them.

The fun video (which will show up in a later presentation), was the ants onboard the upscale Orbital Transport glider. They get the boost Gs, then get lurched forward as the thrust cuts out and lurched back in the coast, then slammed at ejection and then have a fairly bumpy glide ride. Oddly, during the boost one ant hides while the other is active, then in the glide- the active one hides and the other one pops up to see what's going on. It's a bit comical- now, of course, I gotta make it REALLY comical... stay tuned.

Back