New dishwasher performance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
If you have a dishwasher made in the last 4 years or so, how well does it clean your dishes? Do you have to pre-rinse to get clean dishes? etc.

Honestly yes pre rinse seems to be needed a lot
We have a 2 year old full stainless steel quiet mode GE
It works well but any dried chocolate or red sauce that’s on the plate needs a pre rinse or it doesn’t fully come off

The new ones don't work as well, though I credit that with a combination of tightening water use requirements, and lousy detergents. The old detergents worked better, but oh noes, we aren't allowed to have them. Unless you are a business anyways, and then you can get the old formulas it seems.

Dad bought a top line Bosh. That thing is world class amazing....but cost as much as some of the good used cars that I've owned.

So, to some extent you get what you pay for.

We bought an LG 2 years ago to replace the Maytag that came with the house in '07. I am highly disappointed. We have gone back to hand washing, have to wash them prior to putting them in the machine anyway.....
Part of the issue may have been budget, like everything else, prices are through the roof. I bought what we could afford.

Replaced my old dishwasher with a low-level Bosch in the past year. It works way better than the old GE we had. Barely have to rinse things; we've slowly allowed more and more on the plates into the dishwasher without much rework.

Replaced our old dishwasher w a LG Black Stainless Steel (Gorgeous!) one 3 years ago. low noise @ 42 (?) db. Works great. We only scrap things into the trash and load them w no rinsing. we usually wait till the dishwasher is fairly full to wash, so many things are dried on. We do have hard water, and we use a water softener. We use Cascade liquid detergent.

Replaced our old dishwasher w a LG Black Stainless Steel (Gorgeous!) one 3 years ago. low noise @ 42 (?) db. Works great. We only scrap things into the trash and load them w no rinsing. we usually wait till the dishwasher is fairly full to wash, so many things are dried on. We do have hard water, and we use a water softener. We use Cascade liquid detergent.
Our last new dishwasher (previous address) was a Bosch. Excellent machine, very effective, really quiet. This house has an old Kenmore, not so good.
Jim

Bought a new Whirlpool for just under $1000 about a year ago. It seems to dump all of the rinse aid the first time you fill it, and then it’s empty again. The strip on top with the labels for the buttons is peeling off. Otherwise it gets the dishes clean.

Installed a new Bosch ($850) literally two days ago. Seems to work better than the 8-year-old Kenmore, which was great at first but recently has had problems getting some of the upper rack clean.

The instructions that came with the unit agree with Consumer Reports' recommendation: scrape; no need to rinse. It's generally a waste of water, and a major point of a dishwasher is that it uses quite a bit less water than (for most people) hand-washing. I *do* rinse off spaghetti sauce and other tomato-heavy dishes to minimize possible discoloration of other dishes.

[Third major appliance in as many months. Freezer in March, clothes washer early May, and now the dishwasher. So it goes.]

Apparently the issue with the new dishwashers is that most people seem to be using the pods which has been the norm for the past several years. We had the same issue where our new unit wasn't cleaning things as well as we expected it to do. A little research found that actually going BACK to the powdered detergent is actually the fix.

Also, my normal procedure in the past was to always pre-wash before loading things into the dishwasher. However, I recently found out that doing that actually makes the dishwasher LESS effective. By putting things in that are already "clean", leaves nothing for the soap to cling to to actually do its job.

So now, I just rinse any loose material off of each dish and put it in the dishwasher. Then I fill the soap container with powdered detergent up to the line molded into the container. After closing the container, you should notice that there is a shallow divot in the top of the container. You also fill THAT up with the powdered detergent as well. This is actually your pre-rinse. Following this procedure now provided me with very clean and sanitized dishes.

Brand new Samsung. Incredibly quiet and gets the dishes perfectly clean without any pre-wash. Better than advertised. Could not be happier with it. 👍👍

Got a new Whirlpool about 2 years ago. Cleans dishes as well as my old dishwasher even using pods. Super quiet. Only complaint is the heated drying not as effective as previous unit which I believe was a basic Maytag.

I have top of the line Bosch, along with the other appliances. Stove top and oven have had no issues. The microwave display has gone out a couple of times, as detailed in another thread.
Still working on the first rebuild of the second repair without issues.
The Bosch dishwasher I love like crazy. The only way you know it is running is to look at the display on the front. You can't feel it, or hear it.

We had a Bosch for years. Worked well but eventually beyond economic repair. We had an AEG washing machine for 19 years so bought one of their dishwashers. Works well.

Note that if you use those tablets with the dissolving wrappers you need to run a cycle at 70 Celsius every so often, otherwise the partially dissolved wrappers block the filters. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Note that if you use those tablets with the dissolving wrappers you need to run a cycle at 70 Celsius every so often, otherwise the partially dissolved wrappers block the filters. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Good advice. Also, youngest’s car keys can get lodged on the spin arm and beat the living carp out of every plate you own. #askhowiknow

Apparently the issue with the new dishwashers is that most people seem to be using the pods which has been the norm for the past several years.

The Technology Connection YouTube channel explains why:

We still use pods because ... well ... for the reasons people use pods. But now I understand more why we sometimes have issues.

Brand new Samsung. Incredibly quiet and gets the dishes perfectly clean without any pre-wash. Better than advertised. Could not be happier with it. 👍👍

I like our Samsung dishwasher, too. Our Samsung refrigerator, on the other hand ....

The Technology Connection YouTube channel explains why:

We still use pods because ... well ... for the reasons people use pods. But now I understand more why we sometimes have issues.

What a great video, thanks for posting it up for us.

I bought and installed a KitchenAid dishwasher with our kitchen remodel a few years ago and we're very happy with it. It was not THE top of the line, but a few notches down. My philosophy is that the cost curve gets pretty steep to have THE BEST version of anything and the upper middle of the pack is what I shoot for. We pretty much just scrape what we can into the trash can, maybe a rinse if a dish is particularly nasty, but otherwise, just load it up. We use Cascade platinum pods, Jetdry rinse aid, and have been getting perfect results. Note that these modern quiet dishwashers can take 2-3 hours for a cycle.

One interesting note that I looked out for when shopping: some models lower their operating noise by simply using a screen to catch large food particles rather than a disposer system to grind them up and flush them down the drain pipe. This filter is required to be cleaned periodically (how frequently, I don't know). Knowing my family and how nasty that filter probably gets, I looked for one specifically that didn't require this (I expected I would be the only one to clean it out when needed). It meant the model we chose was a few DB louder since it had a means to grind up food particles and wash them down the drain but I was willing to sacrifice the noise level a bit to avoid the hassle of having to clean a food filter. In the end, the machine is still just barely audible when running. I know some are completely silent, but absolute silence wasn't really necessary to me.

The problem with modern dishwashers is they spread out the time it takes to wash a load so the kW/h rating looks better and they can claim to be a 'green' appliance.

The problem with modern dishwashers is they spread out the time it takes to wash a load so the kW/h rating looks better and they can claim to be a 'green' appliance.
The reason I ask current dishwashers are regulated by a DOE rule limiting water consumption to 5gal per wash. Some are tying this regulation to why some dishwasher performance is not as good or driving costs up to get good performance.

DOE proposed new regulations that limit water consumption to 3.5g/cycle. Should I buy a dishwasher now before good dishwashers are regulated out of affordability?

The reason I ask current dishwashers are regulated by a DOE rule limiting water consumption to 5gal per wash. Some are tying this regulation to why some dishwasher performance is not as good or driving costs up to get good performance.

DOE proposed new regulations that limit water consumption to 3.5g/cycle. Should I buy a dishwasher now before good dishwashers are regulated out of affordability?
Its going to come down to having a choice of buying a pre-ban dishwasher now, or a neutered one that is .govt approved later on, I suspect. :(

Not sure there are any really good dishwashers these days (Bosch stands out as a top performer, is my current and will likely be my next one), but I would get an older one if I could.

If you have a dishwasher made in the last 4 years or so, how well does it clean your dishes? Do you have to pre-rinse to get clean dishes? etc.
Now days with the new ones they require a rinse agent like “Finish“ and use the hard soap pods like Finish brand or Cascade. They make a difference. Bosch is one of the best quiet dishwashers but pricey. You need to use the right soap and rinse agent.

Back