New Digital Calipers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watheyak

Ex-Jaywalker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Buying new tools can be therapeutic. Especially nice tools.

I've been using the same pair of Harbor Freight digital calipers for about 15 years. At less than $20 I definitely got my money's worth. Recently they seemed to wander a bit more than usual and didn't want to reliably zero. And maybe I've gotten a little more picky about the numbers they were giving me.

So yesterday I splurged for a pair of Mitutoyo "Digimatic" calipers. They're great. I hadn't realized how sloppy the other pair had become until I started playing with these. Always zero perfectly, always give the exact same measurement. I got the 4" version since I am rarely ever measuring anything larger than that. Plus, they just feel nice.

Here's to happy Measuring....

IMG-2719.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! Got the same Mitutoyo model (8" version) this year myself after my cheapie ones started skipping. Really happy with them. The Absolute AOS models remember their position even when powered off.

I have one of those also. I replaced the manual one I use with my 3D print stuff.

Definitely nice, and I can read it without my glasses!

Skipping calipers: find where it is skipping and clean the rack. There's something in the teeth. This applies to digital and dial styles.

Best place to buy the 8" version? Inquiring minds and all that...
I got mine from Travers Tool via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3UA89C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OFRILN9EI60O&psc=1

That's a good bit less expensive than ordering direct from Travers Tool. Be careful - if you just use that product # without the SMID you get the fulfilled-by-Amazon version at near identical price...Amazon has less than great rejection of counterfeits. And all the ones priced at $110-120 are not genuine Mitutoyo either. On their own site Travers lists almost all the versions that exist.

I've had a set of the Mitutoyo Digimatics since the late '90s, and I have always been satisfied with it. No Chineseium crap, no sir. :)

Back