New Deepsky website goes live!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsky

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you're all well and getting them all back in one piece!

Just a quick line to let you all know that the new Deepsky website which we announced a few weeks back is starting to roll! For the next couple of weeks, only new items will appear on the site in the "Shop" section. You'll appreciate that we have quite an extensive list of stock items, and getting every item onto the new site isn't going to be a five minute job...I'm just glad it's not MY job any more!! (Cheers Martin!)

The old site is still in operation, and will remain so until everything is live on the new site. There are still some links that have to be filled as well...so there's still quite a bit to look forward to!

Anyway, March is now officially "Retro Rocket month" (because Paul says so;-)...put it in your calender! With that in mind, the first things on the site are brand new to the UK, and not on the old site. Updates to the new site should be coming thick and fast over the next few weeks, so stay tuned! Paul himself will hopefully be putting in an appearance as well...as some of you may know, he runs the Blast off For Britain operation as well as a bunch of other stuff, so time can sometimes be a bit pressing for him!

Anyway, without further ado, I would like to declare

www.deepskyrocketshop.co.uk

open for business. May God bless her and all who fly in her etc etc...you get the picture!

Once there, the new items can be viewed in the "Shop"

The old site as I said, is still fully operational, so if what you're after is not on the new site, then nip across to

www.modelrockets.co.uk

and you should be able to find it.

All the best to all of you, and we hope we can continue to be your supplier of choice for all things rocketry in the UK.

Andy

Business Development Manager
Deepsky Rocket Supplies

Congrats guys, the new site is amazing! Cannot wait to start shopping...just need the money first!

Proper Job!

:D A decent on-line rocketry-related store in the UK! :D

I've created my account already, and I'm waiting for it to be fully stocked!

Top work, all involved.

I likes it :D

No offence to the old site and its designer, but this one is *so* much easier to navigate. I like the way it tells you how many items are in each catagory.

Is the online ordering secure?

Ive been saving since christmas towards an order for you :)

I love the front page, that pic looking up at the NC from below the fins is cool... What screen resoloution is it designed for?

Very well done,

Phil

None taken!

I'd only had the computer for a few months when I first started on the deepsky website, and I'll be the first to admit it was very much a process of trial and error to begin with. Thing was, I was that busy trying to keep up with selling stuff that I didn't have the time (or the inclination if I'm totally honest!) to learn about "proper" web authoring.

The guy who's put this little lot together for us is Martin Sweeney from the WRS....hat's off to him I say! Martin speaks a totally different language to us mere mortals, but the results speak for themselves I think!

The whole site is secure...look for the padlock at the bottom of your browser window.

Glad you like it BTW!

Any technical questions.....hey.....don't look at me!!

Andy

By the way, I've just been asked to point out that the version of the site currently on line is still in development, and as always, there are likely to be one or two teething problems to sort out!

Do let us know if you find any problems...and our web whizz will be on the case directly!

Andy

Originally posted by deepsky
The whole site is secure...look for the padlock at the bottom of your browser window.

I found this little tidbit out just a while ago also while reading about internet security. If you look up at the address bar while on a non-secure website, you see https://. Then again, when on a secure website, you see https:// which means you're on a secure server! I thought it was interesting, and is a good way to double-check when a site tells you you're entering a secure server/site, and you want to make sure...

The website looks great!

Jason

Is the online ordering secure?

I love the front page, that pic looking up at the NC from below the fins is cool... What screen resoloution is it designed for?

The shop is fully secure, all your transactions and movements are protected behind 128bit encryption, so you're very very safe :)

The site is designed to display properly in all screen sizes, the minimum being 800x600, but it will work very well in all others.

I took all the pictures I used in the collage on the front page, you can view many of them at our WRS Gallery - the one from below the rocket is an upscale Delta clipper by Dave Tompson of NWR (the picture can be seen here) which flew on an Aerotech K to J motor, recovering flawlessly. Other pictures are available

I found this little tidbit out just a while ago also while reading about internet security. If you look up at the address bar while on a non-secure website, you see https://. Then again, when on a secure website, you see https:// which means you're on a secure server! I thought it was interesting, and is a good way to double-check when a site tells you you're entering a secure server/site, and you want to make sure...

That is indeed true, but another thing you need is a valid certificate (the expensive bit!) which validifies the security of your connection, it's this certificate which gives you the padlock in your browser, not the type of connection.

The website looks great!
Congrats guys, the new site is amazing!
Proper Job!
looks great from this side of the pond.......

Thank you kindly :)
I hope you enjoy using the site

For the technically minded amongst you, the website (when handed over) was written completely in valid XHTML (visit www.webstandards.org) and CSS - the pages are GZip'ed for fast download time, and a great deal of thought went into giving the users the best shopping experience.

Regards

Martin Sweeney
--
Martini Web Design - the sensible way to do business.

Welcome to TRF Martin.

Deepsky, I've been looking round the site and haven't seen any mention of payment by cheque or good ol' mail order. Will I still be able to buy through you like this?

I've gone back to the new site, a few times today, and its cool to watch the stock being added.

Those new HELfire launch pads look as cunning as foxes who've just been appointed Professors of Cunning at Oxford University! :D

Oh .... and welcome to the Forum, Martin

Deepsky, I've been looking round the site and haven't seen any mention of payment by cheque or good ol' mail order. Will I still be able to buy through you like this?

Yes. Although the fuction doesn't currently exist, I'm working on it.
Should you wish to purchase products with a cheque or cash, email deepsky and request the products - I'm sure this will suffice until the orderform has been added.

Also, i'm hoping to introduce Credit card and Solo transactions ASAP.

Martin.

Sounds great Martin.

I have found little mistake on the site, are you really selling the 1:6 Scale Black Brant for £0.00???? :D

I have found little mistake on the site, are you really selling the 1:6 Scale Black Brant for £0.00????

Firstly, its not me thats selling (I am merely hired help), secondly that was added to see what £0.00 looked like, who would notice and because I don't have a final price for it (i've added a guestimate now...)

M.

Ah OK I see. The 'you' was meant to be Paul or Deepsky as a whole...well thats what I wanted to say!

Well done deepsky,the site looks fantastic.This is exactly what U.K. rocketry needed and im sure it will help to take the hobby into the 21st century.Im looking forward to placing my first order on the new site...great:D :) :D

I've found one thing the old site has over the new one!!

The new one doesn't work in IE3. I run IE3 on my old 486 laptop, which I use for surfing/etc in the kitchen and on the Gary Glitter (the john - UK2USA Babel fish).

Looks like its time to upgrade my laptop browser, without overloading the poor steam-driven thing.
Hmmmm........ Linux ........ ;)

To echo arthur/John: The revamp of Deepsky is a step forward for rocketry, in the UK. I'm glad to see the H/MPR stuff is appearing in the shop. damage.... teases me about getting my act together and getting the paperwork sorted to access AP motors, every time I see him. I'm getting more and more tempted, every time he mentions it. Its good to know I can stay with the same dealer.

I've been surfing around the new site, and found the revised delivery charges:
ANY order containing Estes/Quest motors or HPR kits will be sent by overnight courier - P&P charge £9.50
:eek: £9.50!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! :eek:

Thats more than twice what it was a couple of weeks ago (£4.50 if you spend more than £20)!

I know that the delivery charges are dictated by the courier, but to more than double the delivery charge is rediculous!! Can't you use the same courier as before? How about shopping around for a cheaper courier? Some couriers offer cheaper rates for delivering to work addresses, 'cos they know somebody will be there to sign for the package, and they won't have to make a re-delivery; is it possible to use one of the couriers offering this option?

I take your point entirely cydermaster, and carriage charges are not decided by me any more...BUT....I would like to make a couple of points on this.

First of all, the vast majority of the UK public do not use a parcels carrier, and therefore have very little idea of what these companies actually charge for deliveries, whether to private or business addresses. I work in the industry, and I can tell you for a fact that many of the well known carriers are looking to make a minimum of £14.00 per consignment...and if the people sending the goods don't want to pay, the carriers have plenty of other contracts to fall back on...they have very little interest in small companies sending out a dozen or so orders each day, as the bottom line is that they really don't need the business.

Secondly, motors cannot be sent legally through the mail, though I am well aware that this does happen. Chances are that it will continue to happen as well...until the day something unforeseen happens and the crap hits the fan big time. Then our friends in high places step in and things get nasty. A lot of people at the moment believe that the US government is actually trying to take the hobby of rocketry out of the equation altogether...we're only a minority....hell they can stand upsetting a few people can't they? So...Deepsky has always done things properly and used a carrier...and spent a lot of money in the process. On many orders, we've actually lost money. There is very little profit in motor sales...margin on UK sourced motors is small, and supply is restricted by the lack of any kind of commitment from the UK distributors for Estes. So, we often end up buying in the States instead, and having to pay to ship them half way round the world, and then being lumbered with a load of charges at customs when they arrive. The Americans don't have any VAT remember. Sure, we get motors at trade prices over there, but then add shipping, VAT at 17.5%, import duty at around 8%, and a charge of £8 on every single box we clear through customs...it soon starts getting very pricey, and profits are going down the pan.

Delivery charges were always a pain to set because I knew that most people had no idea what we were paying for the service. As I work for a carrier, we got a substantial discount...a discount that was about to be stopped by new management anyway. With the discount, we paid £10.03 per delivery for a private address, and £7.50 for a business address...so you can see that there was a lot of money coming out of our own pockets to fill the gap. As I said, this was a discount that was available to me personally as I work for the company, but it's gone now, and the new charges will be condsiderably higher.

We've never believed in fleecing people on any of our charges...but we are in business at the end of the day. Our customers are always pleased and excited when we bring on a new line that's not available from anyone else in the UK, but there's a lot of work that goes into every new deal we make, and of course a lot of money in buying the stock. We don't have the option to pay the supplier once our customers have bought the stuff and paid us!

It's not the easiest business to be in by any means, and there's a lot of work for no return at all....not everyone is as knowledgable as the TRF regulars....I often spent entire evenings from getting home at 5pm until gone 11pm just answering emails with questions from people...and never asked or expected a penny from it...it was just part of the customer service that I believed in.

We're always open to offers though...so if anyone has any clues as to where we can get a cheaper courier service, please let us know and we'll be happy to check it out. I think if you actually look into the matter, you may be in for quite a shock!

All the best for now,

Andy@Deepsky

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Andy. I wasn't aware that you worked for a courier company - that does explain the jump in charges. I'll just have to order my motors in more bulk to lessen the impact. Or possibly turn up at launches where Deepsky is attending, and buy them there - no P&P then. :)

Your point about keeping it legal, and not just bunging the things in a jiffy bag, slapping a few stamps it & sticking it in the post box at the end of the street; is very important. I'm not going to name names, but I ordered some motors from another UK vendor, which were delivered by my postie as a 1st Class package! FAR too dodgy that. I've never ordered from him since, even when Deepsky has been out of stock. We can't risk the reaction we'll get from the media when (not if) the Blast-Off bumper pack goes off in Postie's sack.

Back to our normal program: ;)

I've already got stuff in my Deepsky Vertial-Basket, and I'm just waiting for the motors to go onto the site, to place my order. I know I could do the deal the 'old-fashioned way', via e-mail, but I want to do the shopping using your shiney new site. :D

Virtiel-Basket Dan?!? :confused: Surely you mean Virtual, and IE3?!?! Get with the times :p

Shipping Charges have always bothered me for everything!! I buy a heck of a lot of stuff through mail order/online retailers. All Ive learn't is that you might as well make a BIG order all at once and pay the shipping charge once, rather than buy all the items in several orders and pay for shipping several times.

Just to check: Andy, would the shipping charge still be £9.50 for a £200-£300 order of LPR kits, motors and GSE?

I Havent checked it yet, but hopefully this shop wont be blocked off at school. The other one was :(

And that pad... *drools* Okay, make that a £250-£350 order :D

Welcome to TRF BTW Sweeney. Just to point out, the hotspot over the "Shop --->" graphic (on the front page) is a little bit small. It misses the top of the S and the h.

Rock On Deepsky :D

Originally posted by WiK
Virtiel-Basket Dan?!? :confused: Surely you mean Virtual, and IE3?!?! Get with the times :p
OK - I'd had a pint, and my built in spell checker had taken the rest of the evening off! ;)

As for IE3 - its a 486-based laptop with only 16mb mem, and it can't be expanded. I tried IE4 once, and it crippled the machine to the extent I had to reinstall Windoze (95SE). I put Opera 7 on my laptop yesterday, and brought it up to date. I now have a fully-functioning, current-genaration browser; which runs at about twice the speed as IE3 did. :D

16 MB RAM?!?! How the hell can you run anything on that??? :eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunaty I have to wait till I have some money to order from the snazzy new site :(

Do my eyes decieve me?

>rub< >rub<

/me disconnects from internet, re-boots, re-connects, goes back to site.

Nope, they're not decieving me ..... Deepsky have got E motors on their site! :D

As they've been priced at £0.00, they're probably just a 'test' entry to the D/Sky shop database; but we can dream! ;)

I love the image editing skills Dan!! :p

So is DeepSky importing BP E's now?? It looks like UK Rocketry keeps getting better :D

I always like to think of shipping as just part of the cost of rocketry. It doesn't feel as bad than if you always looked at it as an extra.

Wik and Dan, seeing as you two are now UKRA members we going to be seeing you at some events this year?

Certianly :D I am planning to goto UKRA 2004, IRW 2004 and K-Lob 2004. And my Dad is... Now... :kill:

I also plan to join SERFS this year if they are still going.

Shipping is just a way of life for Brit rocketeers. We cant pick up motors from ASDA...

cydermaster said:

Your point about keeping it legal, and not just bunging the things in a jiffy bag, slapping a few stamps it & sticking it in the post box at the end of the street; is very important. I'm not going to name names, but I ordered some motors from another UK vendor, which were delivered by my postie as a 1st Class package! FAR too dodgy that. I've never ordered from him since, even when Deepsky has been out of stock. We can't risk the reaction we'll get from the media when (not if) the Blast-Off bumper pack goes off in Postie's sack.

EXACTLY:)

This is exactly where we're coming from Dan. I know, and we all probably know who you're talking about, and while we're not planning on making any big noises about it, we're not exactly in favour of what is going on. If the long shot actually happens and something does go wrong, the crap will descend in great quantity on the whole lot of us I'm quite sure. We don't need that.

I know carriage is a bind...but like you said, either save up a bit for a bigger order, or buy at a launch event. The deepsky "roadshow" will be descending on just about all the big launches this year, and quite a few besides, so there'll be plenty of chances to say hi and meet the gaffer. I might even get to a couple myself mower racing permitting! And hey...you think £9.50 is pricey....I just paid over $70 to get a new helmet from the States for racing. It does look the part though...see attached pic!
Wonder if we can get Paul to wear a really bad hawaaian style shirt in true roadshow fashion!

All for now,

Andy@Deepsky

A helmet on a Lawnmower? Do they really go that fast?

Whats the news on the E's, Andy?

Hi Wik,

The quicker mowers are doing over 50mph now, and in a rough field, with no suspension, and an alarming tendency to throw the driver off on bends....yes....a helmet is very necessary:p

If you have broadband, nip along to

https://www.whos-racing.com/videos/videos.html

and download the 12hour.wmv video. It's 57Mb, so it doesn't take too long, and it will give you a taste of what it's all about! It's right at the bottom of the page

Back