New Build Thread - Little Joe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
Well...I was looking around here...a little light on the build threads (but we're off to good start).

I'll put one in.

I rolled a body tube over the holidays...looks like it will handle a 1/12 scale mercury capsule nicely.

Same concept as the Apollo Little Big Joe II build last year...light weight, cluster motor mounts around a central motor.

When finished, I hope it looks something like this...(albeit a bit smaller)

Little Joe I .jpg

Last edited:
here is a 1/6th scale I am working on, then the 1/2 and hopefully then the full scale

l_555d43424a6d42d889a8a9c0da5c8951.jpg

paging bob cox, be afraid

Last edited:
If either of you are short on details, there's a lot of information here:

https://www.peter.mcquillan.dsl.pipex.com/

I also have a file cabinet draw full and a bunch of drawings. I've been trying to get the time together to build a really detailed ~1/10 model for the past 10 years. I haven't gotten past the data collecting stage.

If either of you are short on details, there's a lot of information here:

https://www.peter.mcquillan.dsl.pipex.com/

I also have a file cabinet draw full and a bunch of drawings. I've been trying to get the time together to build a really detailed ~1/10 model for the past 10 years. I haven't gotten past the data collecting stage.

Thanks..I got that LJ DVD that was available as well.

hey Tater...what motor(s) you going to use?
Looks good so far....

Thanks..I got that LJ DVD that was available as well.

hey Tater...what motor(s) you going to use?
Looks good so far....

dont know, depends on the weight, the sonotube will be a sacrificial mandrel for a foam and glass composite, and I *think* it'll be around 3 pounds. as with some scratchbuilts, you design the motor mount last.

also, this isn't a true scale LJ project, but more of a development project for private amatuer manned space flight based off the original little joe.

dont know, depends on the weight, the sonotube will be a sacrificial mandrel for a foam and glass composite, and I *think* it'll be around 3 pounds. as with some scratchbuilts, you design the motor mount last.

also, this isn't a true scale LJ project, but more of a development project for private amatuer manned space flight based off the original little joe.

Going somewhere...? LOL

Going somewhere...? LOL

heh, if all goes right (or horribly wrong) I might be going into history books. I dont think so though. but yeah, if this works out, it'll be the first amatuer homebuilt rocketship, designed to carry a single person into the air and hopefully beyond.

ever have someone ask you a question that you can't give them a good answer for, the kind of question that sort of nags you until you can come up with a good answer? thats how this whole nightmare started. i'll be doing a talk about the whole little joe 10 project that is ending up as the result of this one nagging question.

the question? "well if you can't do that, what can you do?"

(in reference to a Wan Hu proposal)

I just recently ordered a Semroc Little Joe II. I won't be able to start on it for a while, but I am definitely looking forward to it.

heh, if all goes right (or horribly wrong) I might be going into history books. I dont think so though. but yeah, if this works out, it'll be the first amatuer homebuilt rocketship, designed to carry a single person into the air and hopefully beyond.

Just remember: "what goes up..."
I really hope you succeed in making the History books, but otherwise don't be too surprised if you end up with a Darwin Award instead! :D

ever have someone ask you a question that you can't give them a good answer for, the kind of question that sort of nags you until you can come up with a good answer? thats how this whole nightmare started. i'll be doing a talk about the whole little joe 10 project that is ending up as the result of this one nagging question.
42?
whats that smell?
did you remember to turn off the oven? (as the airplane takes off):confused:
the question? "well if you can't do that, what can you do?"
I dunno, but the natural answer for me would probably involve an ample supply of beer, and more mundane misbehavior. ;)

(in reference to a Wan Hu proposal)

Like this you mean?:
https://far.pyroinnovations.com/mythbusters.html
Man i felt bad for Buster on that one - and such a waste of 42 perfectly good high power rocket motors!

Ps i hope you dont mind a little friendly razzin....:)

Hey, tater, how about a little more information on the manned project? I'm thinking of something similar...
Grif

Hey, tater, how about a little more information on the manned project? I'm thinking of something similar...
Grif

heh, i'll be talking about it in another thread, also, I am planning on doing a presentation at the oshkosh airshow AirVenture.

info for now? google little joe project high flight, that'll be about as close to a pre-made description of what we are doing, except that it'll be cheap. real cheap

boy i havent been here in a while.

l_094db3c3d5ef48b3b7da85142b19d9de.jpg

last weekend (07-11-09) we launched the 1/6th scale on an Aerotech I284. I youtubed a teaser for my presentation at the Oshkosh AirVenture.

after my presentation I'll release the full videos. don't get excited, it was a closed launch with limited people on hand and my dad was running the camcorder from too close.

Now to raise some $$$ to buy lots of foam and fiberglass. !/2 scale and full are next, then manned.

l_094db3c3d5ef48b3b7da85142b19d9de.jpg

last weekend (07-11-09) we launched the 1/6th scale on an Aerotech I284. I youtubed a teaser for my presentation at the Oshkosh AirVenture.

after my presentation I'll release the full videos. don't get excited, it was a closed launch with limited people on hand and my dad was running the camcorder from too close.

Now to raise some $$$ to buy lots of foam and fiberglass. !/2 scale and full are next, then manned.

Who's the cosmonaut?

Who's the cosmonaut?

none in this one. plenty of payload space.

ok, i lied, there was a rock used for nose weight, could that be your cosmonaut?

expanded vid

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Yaz_t6IBAKs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Yaz_t6IBAKs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

wow, did that embed work?

Back