New Build - Project Echo - Shotput I Launch Vehicle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in October of 1959, NASA Langley sent up the first vehicle for testing of project Echo, the first passive communications satellite experiment for the United States. Although the test was a failure but was not disclosed to the public due to the space race with the Russians, for years, I've found this small rocket interesting. Interesting enough that I've wanted to build one. I've only seen 2 pictures of the Shotput (I also see it written as Shot Put). One from the original 4 rockets testing Echo and another from 2 left over rockets used in a joint venture with the Italian San Marco programme. Doing some digging in the NASA archives, I came across a case file from Norman Crabill titled "Ascent Problems of Sounding Rockets" presented in the Netherlands in 1961. In this file, Crabill included some, but not all, dimensions of the Shotput. Seems this is where Peter might have gotten his dims since they are all duplicates. I'll do my best recreate the Shotput as well as I can. I'll use a 56mm tube for the core and another 56mm tube wrapped twice with cardstock to get close to the required thickness of the fairing. I've done the initial math and found that the boosters will need to be 16mm in diameter which is close enough to the BT20 18mm tube for me. I'll make all three cones from paper (fairing will be a learning experience with the rounded nose), approximate how much nose weight, add plywood fins made from thoughtful estimations for the leading, root and tip edges, turn the nozzles for the boosters and add a 24mm motor mount. I hope to be able to use an Estes D12-3 but will extend the motor mount in case I need to use the longer E motors. I've only used plywood fins once before on a Juno/Jupiter C and some of my ply has warped. I'll need to investigate how to prepare plywood fins to prevent that warping. Bet I can find that right here on the forum. I hope to be pleased with the completed product and suggestions and comments are always welcome.
Echo Balloon.jpg p184b.jpg NASA Case File - 1961.jpg Shotput Dims.jpgShotput Rear View.jpg

Anyone used these heavy cardstock retention rings? I don't know where I obtained these rings, but they have been in my motor mount build box for years. I’m going to use them rather than plywood rings just to put them to good use. Smaller rocket so I’m going to give them a go.
I'm having to sand down the inside of the rings significantly to get my 24mm to fit. If you look closely, you’ll see that the 24mm cutout is held only by 3 small tabs, and when I cut out the notch for the motor hook, seems the structural integrity will be compromised. To help with this problem, I plan a thick bead of wood glue flattened out on each side of each ring to fill the void. I will not attach the Kevlar cord to the top ring. I think that will just extend too much force on the top ring by chute ejection. I’ll create an Estes style, tri-fold shock cord mount.
Hopefully folks will let me know their results with these type rings.
Pic 03.jpg

G. Harry Stine and his kids built scale models of the Shotput back in the '60s. I have seen a drawing or plan of it, perhaps an old NAR product, but do not recall if I have a copy. Will try to find it. It is not a current NARTS product.

Chas

Motor mount finished and I added a plywood centering ring at the top to attach the shock cord. with the longer shoulder going in for the fairing. I thought the Estes style shock cord mount would just get in the way and limit how many chutes I could use for recovery.
Pic 04.jpg
I was struggling tonight with how many wraps it would take to get the required extra 2 inches in diameter on the fairing. Fairing is 33 inches and the stage one is 31 inches. I found it would take 6 wraps card stock to get the additional 1/8 inch needed, so I thought, the hell with it and was just going to have a 31 inch fairing. With the time and effort I’m putting in, I thought I’d jump on Randy’s site and lo and behold, a Semroc LT-225 is what I needed. Thank you Randy!

LT-225Large TubeBC-2252.3402.2500.04530136

I'll be able to slide the LT-225 (which is heavy and I’m going to need nose weight anyway) over the BT-70. Inside the BT-70 will be a green coupler capped with a bulkhead extending out as the shoulder. Ordered the tube and a few other items tonight.
I did decide I'll turn the nose cone and booster cones on the lathe while I’m waiting for the parts to arrive. For some reason, shipping from Ohio to SC takes a long time. Good thing you cant hear the cursing out of my shop when I use the lathe.
Oh, and I'm using a BT-19 as the booster and sliding a BT-20 over the end to help with look in the dimensional picture above.

OK. Might someone suggest a better wood for turning nozzles, etc. that's not going to be too heavy? I'd need at least an inch in diameter. I have just had a tough time working with balsa. The different grains in the wood (see first picture above) make it incredibly difficult to finish property. I've sanded, CWF'ed, sanded, CWF'ed, sanded, primed, sanded and finished coat painted the nozzles. This is just too much work for the less than acceptable result. I'm new to the lathe, so it just might be me. If it is, please, someone let me know. Any suggestions on technique, woods, or any comments would be appreciated. I’m thinking I need to change the type of wood. Unfortunately, I’m going to turn the cone out of balsa because that’s all I have. I have had better results with bigger pieces though… Looking forward to your replies and possible help.
Pic 11.jpg

That's not bad at all! I don't have a lot of lathe experience, but I found that the smaller stuff is way harder to turn from balsa.

This is about the best I could do.

The nice thing about balsa is that you can 'turn' it using sandpaper. You might try using sandpaper instead of a lathe chisel to get down to final dimensions, that will fix some of the tearout that you're getting. Glue it to a board, or wrap it around a dowel or other curved surface to get the contour that you want.

Took card stock to hold the outer tube (LT-225) to the 2.2 in tube. I'm glad I took the extra time ordering the larger tube.
Pic 14.jpg
Thanks for the sandpaper suggestion Kelly. It worked and I'm pleased with the results. I got it to the exact dimension I needed.
I drilled in the cone and added 1.2 oz of lead to get the center of gravity where I believe it's acceptable. Total weight with an Estes D12-3 motor is 10.3 oz. I hope she'll fly. Waiting overnight for the epoxy holding the lead in to dry. Will mount the nose cone to the fairing, CWF, sand and prime.
Pic 17.jpg Pic 18.jpg Pic 19.jpg Pic 20.jpg

Oh, wow, that looks nice. I had not seen that case file document--I was working from a mediocre drawing in a NASA contractor report about sounding rockets in general. Since I did that little tiny drawing for Rockets of the World, I've found two new, much better sources--one is the WASP technical report that indicated that the first stage of that rocket was a leftover from the Shotput program. The second source was a G. Harry Stine drawing that I was able to order from the National Air and Space Museum. I'm not sure if it's still available from them, but it's a nice, large-format drawing.

OK, here is a link to an order form for various paper drawings available from NASM: https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/Dwg_Prep_Sets_20181226.pdf

Here is the page that links to that order form:
https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...ates-air-force-engineering-drawings-microfilm
And here is one of the NASA reports about the WASP, with some dimensions of the Shotput first stage:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680007625.pdf
Peter Alway

Oh, wow, that looks nice. I had not seen that case file document--I was working from a mediocre drawing in a NASA contractor report about sounding rockets in general. Since I did that little tiny drawing for Rockets of the World, I've found two new, much better sources--one is the WASP technical report that indicated that the first stage of that rocket was a leftover from the Shotput program. The second source was a G. Harry Stine drawing that I was able to order from the National Air and Space Museum. I'm not sure if it's still available from them, but it's a nice, large-format drawing.

OK, here is a link to an order form for various paper drawings available from NASM: https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/Dwg_Prep_Sets_20181226.pdf

Here is the page that links to that order form:
https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...ates-air-force-engineering-drawings-microfilm
And here is one of the NASA reports about the WASP, with some dimensions of the Shotput first stage:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680007625.pdf
Peter Alway
Thanks for the additional information. Those resources will come in handy. If it weren't from ROTW, I wouldn't have been so intrigued to build this one.

I had a 'minor' parachute malfunction. Such a drag. The nose cone came down separately in great shape. I guess there was not enough oomph in the ejection charge to push out the cone with the 18" chute along with 2x15" chutes for the booster. Sent up on an Estes D12-3 and the ejection was at least a second before apogee. I have a really long shoulder on the cone. Any ideas on what you think might have happened? Like the Six Million Dollar Man, I can rebuild him.
Pic 25.jpg Pic 26.jpg Pic 27.jpg

Last edited:
Back