New Blast Deflectors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
I currently am just doing smaller rockets not level 1. And the blast deflector that I just got with my new starter kit seemed to be as thin as my patience. LOL. So thankfully im a machinist......so I made more durable Blast Deflectors and 1 piece launch rods.

First photo is a size comparison from the stock deflector to the one I just made. Including the stainless standoff ring. It is 8" dia. x 1/16" thick 304 stainless steel.
Second photo is a 5" dia. x 1/32" thick 304 Stainless.

8instainlessblastdelector.jpg

5inblastdeflector.jpg

Johnly

Reaction score
I use electrical quad box blank off covers with a hole drilled in the center. Not spiffy SST. but they are available locally and cheap.

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
I use electrical quad box blank off covers with a hole drilled in the center. Not spiffy SST. but they are available locally and cheap.
Stainless holds up a little better verses the rocket exhaust gases and heat. But yeah. I used the stainless because it was available. and I know it will never rust.

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
I just buy a pot lid from a thrift store and remove the knob. A convenient hole for the launch rod.
Yeah I was looking at that option as well. But I also have a confession, the stainless hex standoff in the middle is reamed slightly larger than the launch rod it goes with., so the 3/16" rod is reamed to .196" So there isnt a ton of slop.

ghostfather

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We use stainless steel pie pans as blast deflectors, mounted upside down with a hole drilled in the middle, just slide it down the rod. There's some slop, but they are large enough to protect anything underneath. Bought them at Walmart, but I'm sure you can find them at other places.
I imagine you could mount your stand-off ring on the pie pan, and eliminate the slop.

Stretch

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I currently am just doing smaller rockets not level 1. And the blast deflector that I just got with my new starter kit seemed to be as thin as my patience. LOL. So thankfully im a machinist......so I made more durable Blast Deflectors and 1 piece launch rods.

First photo is a size comparison from the stock deflector to the one I just made. Including the stainless standoff ring. It is 8" dia. x 1/16" thick 304 stainless steel.
Second photo is a 5" dia. x 1/32" thick 304 Stainless.

View attachment 464235

View attachment 464236

Rory Gin

Reaction score
We use stainless steel pie pans as blast deflectors, mounted upside down with a hole drilled in the middle, just slide it down the rod. There's some slop, but they are large enough to protect anything underneath. Bought them at Walmart, but I'm sure you can find them at other places.
I imagine you could mount your stand-off ring on the pie pan, and eliminate the slop.
I like carbon steel pie pans as the larger diameter (8-9") protects the launcher better than the Estes 5" dia. Easy and cheap to replace. I find them at 2nd hand stores. New SS pans are too expensive.

Rocketless

Reaction score
Tractor Supply store, a replacement disc for implements, can get it with a 1 inch square middle for use with rails, if not in stock it is delivered to your door for free, it is concave

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use an AR500 rifle gong. Inexpensive and impervious to everything. It has two holes at he top. I bolted it to the support for the rail.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
My launcher is a music stand with a Jacob's no-key chuck. I punched a hole in the bottom of a can* and use that - covers chuck perfectly.

*DelMonte whole kernel sweet corn.

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From Odd'l. Impervious to things like the acidic exhaust from composites, which will eventually attack even stainless. And it deflects exhaust sideways, not back up at the rocket upon first ignition.
1621356794731.png
I bought one years ago. Sadly, it's been discontinued by Odd'l. Surely someone else makes something like it. An inverted small flower pot would do decently well, but rounded at the top would be better.

ghostfather

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From Odd'l. Impervious to things like the acidic exhaust from composites, which will eventually attack even stainless. And it deflects exhaust sideways, not back up at the rocket upon first ignition.
1621356794731.png
I bought one years ago. Sadly, it's been discontinued by Odd'l. Surely someone else makes something like it. An inverted small flower pot would do decently well, but rounded at the top would be better.
You might be able to use a hollow ceramic egg. Just drill a hole for the rod using a very sharp hard-metal drill bit

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, someone might; I've got the one I bought from Odd'l.

I think a grinder bit in a Dremel would be better than a drill.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a ceramic blast deflector that came in an Estes launch kit several decades ago. I don't know if the still sell them.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
You might be able to use a hollow ceramic egg. Just drill a hole for the rod using a very sharp hard-metal drill bit
Where can you get a hollow ceramic egg? I guess you'd actually need a *half* an egg.

What about a metal funnel?

ghostfather

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Where can you get a hollow ceramic egg?
I've got some we use as Easter decorations that are hollow, but have a relatively large opening at the bottom, so they can stand upright on a table. I think my wife might not miss one, but I won't push my luck. Not only that, but I could cut an "equator" around it with a dremel disk, and shorten it to half an egg.
What about a metal funnel?
That sounds plausible, if the narrow part of the funnel is relatively small.

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting idea. The chemistry is good, as the copper dominant component withstands hydrochloric acid from the exhaust of composites far better than iron does.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
A friend made an ashtray out of an old cymbal.

And he was then quoted: "No matter how big the ashtray, someone will always miss it.."

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure to have it held above the bottom of the rod, but held little loosely on the rod, so vibration isn't too severely damped.

Latest posts