New BATFE weapon against rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
Laser shoots down large-caliber rocket

Friday, May 7, 2004 Posted: 4:13 PM EDT (2013 GMT)

WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, New Mexico (AP) -- A high-intensity laser designed to shield Israel from missile attacks downed its largest rocket to date during a test over the New Mexico desert.

The ground-based Tactical High Energy Laser destroyed the 11-foot rocket in flight Tuesday over White Sands Missile Range.

The laser has shot down smaller rockets and artillery shells in the past, said Pam Rogers, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Army, which is helping develop the laser.

The system, which is now stationary but would eventually be mobile, uses radar to track incoming rockets, then fires a chemical-powered laser to destroy them.

The $56 million project, being developed by Northrop-Grumman Corp., has been undergoing tests at White Sands since 2000.

A mobile prototype may be complete by 2007 or 2008 if the company gets a contract this summer, spokesman Bob Bishop said.
--------
Posted by shrox

When it becomes mobile maybe they will sit outside NARCON and such and take shots at us...

shrox

I personally think that they would try to regulate HPR out of existance rather than trying to destroy rockets in flight with a laser.

Originally posted by shrox
When it becomes mobile maybe they will sit outside NARCON and such and take shots at us...

shrox

I would think compared to "real" rockets/missiles, that would be like shooting fish in a barrel... That's no fun!

Set phasers to "kill"!:kill:

I doubt they would go that far...

So they are developing a security system for Isreal? But what about our Strategic Missile Defense system?? I havent heard anything about that lately... Whats going on there???

So how long do you think it will be untill they start putting those puppys on the Space Shuttles?:rolleyes: :mad:

Um... when pigs fly. I really don't think the gov't would sic its weapons on another very costly project.

It was just joking of course!! I just thought it kind of ironic.

shrox

wow that is really interesing. Lasers seem like such a futuristic weapon....very cool

Originally posted by shrox
It was just joking of course!! I just thought it kind of ironic.

shrox

It seems sarcasm is wasted here sometimes...lol Guys - lighten up!!! lol

It is interesting, though. I like the idea - much better than trying to hit a missile with a missile. Seems like there's much less chance of failure with this system.

Loopy

Back