New Astron clones...but not for sale!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandman,

Thanks for the explanation of the foil-lined motor mount. I don't need pictures, your explanation was plenty clear. :)

I'm always skeptical of just using the engine hook without a thrust ring above it. A couple of my Estes kits that used that technique resulted in the hook zippering the tube at it's forward end. But maybe the foil lined tube is stronger.

You didn't mention it, but your photos also show a cool technique I hadn't considered for positive motor retention of a sustainer engine. Thanks.

Great looking rockets, as always! Let's go fly em.

Gus

You didn't mention it, but your photos also show a cool technique I hadn't considered for positive motor retention of a sustainer engine. Thanks.

Do you mean the short tube on top of the booster with the slot?

I just wanted to seal the two motors together just as much and for as long as I could to insure upper stage ignition.

The slot is to clear the sustainer's motor hook.

sandman

quote:You didn't mention it, but your photos also show a cool technique I hadn't considered for positive motor retention of a sustainer engine. Thanks.

Do you mean the short tube on top of the booster with the slot?

You got it. I've launched a fair number of staged rockets but they've all been of the "tape the two (or three) engines together" variety. I've never gap-staged anything. Really like the idea of a motor hook between the booster and sustainer.

SOooooo.....

...do we have paint and decals yet? :cool:

If you haven't got your decals yet, and JimZ's too busy or something (I know you two work together a bunch,) give Fred (Astronboy) a jingle.

Actually....no...:rolleyes:

I'm still doing filets I have 22 to do total on both rockets.

I should be ready for primer this weekend.

sandman:D

I painted the Constellation with some cheap $.99 white paint. On sale at the local hardware store. I masked it this morning and painted the one black fin. Man, nice paint...two light coats of black and the one fin was finished. A very nice clean mask line too. Just gotta let it dry some more then I'll paint the fin pods red

Now the Apogee II:confused:

I used expensive $4.99/can paint(yellow) and let it sit for 3 days. I masked it this morning and painted the red fins (I use the good blue masking tape!)

After the paint set I removed the tape...some of the yellow came off with the tape and the paint under the tape seems to have been...wrinkled???:confused: by the tape.

Very strange...very disturbing...

Well, I'll just wait a few more days and go over it with some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Gawd, I hate painting more than one color...it's always a crap shoot.

I can fix it...

sandman

I'm with you, Sandman - I've had the best luck with Testor's brand and Krylon sprays. Everything else - well, to use your words - becomes a "crap shoot." Even worse with metallic colors.

For instance, on my latest build, I used Krylon white as a base color, and then masked off and painted with some Plasti-Kote "Odds 'n' Ends" Fast Dry Enamel. That was Friday evening, and it *still* feels a bit tacky to the touch. Not bad, but I could still leave a fingerprint in it if I applied any pressure at all with my fingers while handling it. Weird.

I think it also depends on how thick your base coat is under the masking. I had Krylon lift off that even passed the "smell test" and the masking was only on for about 2 hours. But, I'd estimate the thickness of the paint to be 1 mm + (including primer.) Perhaps it seemed dry, but because it was so thick, it really wasn't all the way. Hmmm......

Well, after 6 days the yellow on the Apogee II will still get fingerprints in it if I hold it too tight...go figure.

The Heck With It!!!:kill:

I put the &^%%$% decals on anyway.

I like it.

sandman

WOW! I didn't realize how much glare was on those.

Here is another angle.

Decals from Astronboy at Excelcior and a few laying around from JimZ.

That's an original BT-50 sized Constellation in the middle.

They sure are shiney!:cool:

They sure are shiney!

Yeah, they almost look wet. :D :D :D

From your fellow arid-challenged Michigander, here's hoping we get some dry weather soon!

I'm starting to get mold where mold shouldn't go. :mad:

Sandman,

Man that Constellation is beautiful!!!!

I want to fly on father's day (I want to fly EVERY day ;) ).

Just don't know what my loving family has in mind for me, though. :confused:

I'll be in touch.

Gus

Man! That was a year ago!!

And they haven't flown yet!!

OK! This weekend for sure!:D

:)

it's a BT60 version i'm planning to use for a night launch this weekend... if i can get a MMT into it.

Sandman,
Very nice looking models! I eventually want to enlist your services so I can scale up an X-Ray kit!

rokitflite,

Be glad too! Just let me know...

BTW...No custom orders in July...I need time to finish my stuff for NARAM!:D

Thanks, Bill, that was the single 24mm version.

OK did anybody get a pic of my BT-70 version with the 3 x24mm cluster???

They both flew and recoverd nicely.

There were a lot of people taking pictures!!

Somebody must have caught it.

sandman

nice looking and well stocked parts supply we see in the photo !!

i am foaming at the mouth :)

still gonna get you to do that upscale nosecone for the 6'' maxi icarus .

trying to get my cert level 2 launch out of the way !!

Originally posted by sandman
I finally decided to take a break from the kit building/manufacturing part of the hobby.

It was kinda sucking the fun out of it for me.

So I decided to build two projects just for me!

The first is a BT-70 sized 2.27X upscale of the Astron Constellation. Power will be a 3 X 24 cluster.

The second is the Astron Apogee II a Two stage single D12-0 to an E9-8 BT-70 sized 3X upscale

Look at the slabs of 3/16" balsa...yes I said balsa!...for the booster fins! 10" wide at the cord!

That's a regular BT-50 sized Astron Constellation in the middle for reference.

I'm, for the most part, caught up.

I still have to finish the last four Soyuz kits for sale and the Vostok kit.

Only one more small project left.

I have some more "upscale" projects in mind all based on the BT-56 body tube.

The BT-56 seems to be the "right" size for a single 24mm motor upscale.

The BT-56 size is also available in a heavy duty version from SEMROC. Carl uses them on his SLS line.

Besides...I got a deal on a bunch of them.

In the works all BT-56 based;

Astron Spaceplane
Astron Apogee II (two stage)
Astron Farside
Astron Drifter
Aerobee 300 (with Booster!)
Astron Gyroc
Astron Sprite
Astron X-Ray
Astron Star Blazer

None of these will be kits but I will have the parts available (nose cones and transitions).

Also working out the design for a special nose cone for the BoosterVision camera.

Aweosome clone, Sandman! How did you make the fin pods without cutting nosecones in half? I would realy like to build one myself, but I dont know how to get around the pod problem.

Oo, special nosecones designed for the BoosterVision cameras, now this is exciting! :p

Thanks, Karl.

For the Constellation fin tips I made 3 identical "teardrops" on the lathe then cut each one in half with my band saw.

They weren't nose cones...just teardrops.:D

As for the Boostervision camera I was concidering making them out of foam (to absorb any impact and save the camera).

I was thinking of cutting it in half and hollowing it out to hold the battery. It would be taped together during flight.

I also concidered a multiple shoulder design so that it could fit different sized body tubes. Sort of a "stepped" design.

I'm still thinking about that design.

Back