New APRS handheld: Kenwood TH-D75

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillMarchant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Kenwood is expected to officially announce the TH-D75 at Hamvention this weekend. https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-t...andheld-transceiver-with-d-star-and-aprs.html has a site up already. There have been a couple of Youtube "reviews" of leaked documentation. The biggest change seems to be USB-C for charging/data interface and the addition of a digipeating capability. I was hoping for full-duplex, like the TH-D72, to support satellite operations but that seems to not be in the cards. I expect an eye-watering price so people might be more interested in the Yaesu FT-5DR which is on sale at hamradio.com for Hamvention. Anyway, hopefully Kenwood official documents will come out soon. Note that the FCC paperwork isn't up yet so this product is still in flux but it seems likely to me that it will be available this year.

One hopeful side effect of this announcement might be that the used D74 prices could come down.
In an interview this morning the Kenwood rep said he didn’t know if the D75 is full duplex. However, the fact that it has a digipeater function makes me optimistic.

My old D72A does all that I want it to including interfacing with an old handheld Garmin 60Cs and 60CsX mapping GPSs through a single cable. I was tracking rockets on a map over 10 years ago. First using a laptop with outboard TNC, radio and then with the D72A when it came out. I had two used D7Ag's where the frequency encoders became out of spec and I couldn't tune frequencies correctly. Repair shop fellow said they could be fixed but the 72A came out and I abandoned that.
It became really addictive as in APRS mode the D72A (and I'm sure later versions of KW's handheld APRS rigs do too) I could isolate the altimeter readout and read that as the rocket was descending in real time. The position would be plotted on the handheld mapping GPS. I could follow the descent and put my eyes in the right place when the main chute blew. I'd just walk toward the last known position with a handheld Yagi to increase the ground footprint and I never lost a rocket with this method. 900Mhz Yagis are good for EggFinder stuff for recovery. I'd take the omni antenna off the receiver after the rocket was "down" and plug in the Yagi. It's easy to aim a Yagi at a 900Mhz tracker while the rocket is stationary on the ground. Ham band stuff, one can keep a Yagi pointed in the right direction with the ability for increased range reception.
GPS tracking either by the 900Mhz non-licensed NMEA trackers or the APRS Ham band trackers is essential for rockets that are flying out of sight for long periods of time. Upper air winds can wreck havoc on a rockets final position. The longer the rocket is out of sight, the more chance visual contact will never be achieved on descent. If the rocket lands out of sight then that last known position packet is crucial for an easier recovery.
I was APRS tracking a fellow fliers Beeline GPS unit one time and I think it was an L or M powered speedster. I was using a laptop with a mapping program.
Once the rocket disappeared, I kept my nose on the laptop screen. Started getting positions in on drogue descent and I called out, "I got it."
I noticed the rocket was tracking 180 degrees from the prevailing ground winds but it was still up pretty high. As it got lower to main deployment altitude, I glanced up and notice everyone was looking in the WRONG direction to get a visual on the descending rocket. l started screaming bloody murder to look 180 degrees behind their backs to pick up the main deployment. The rocket was seen but it was way the heck out there. I helped the flier properly input the final lat/long into his handheld GPS and he got his rocket back as he didn't have the capability (the cable) to do live tracking on his D72A. I sent him a link to the cable to interface his Garmin 60 Cs GPS and he really became a happy tracker. Kurt

Kurt, I have seen your posts in the past about connecting your D72A to your Garmin 60CsX mapping GPS, and I managed to create a cable for my Yaesu FT2DR (I imagine it would be the same for the new FT5DR) and Garmin 60CsX and it's a slick setup. I just wanted to thank you for the inspiration!
-Rich

DXEngineering and HR are both offering "first refusal tickets" to get in line. HRO had an estimate of first quarter 2024 that shows up on a Google search but appears to have been taken off the actual page.

My old D72A does all that I want it to including interfacing with an old handheld Garmin 60Cs and 60CsX mapping GPSs through a single cable. I was tracking rockets on a map over 10 years ago. First using a laptop with outboard TNC, radio and then with the D72A when it came out. I had two used D7Ag's where the frequency encoders became out of spec and I couldn't tune frequencies correctly. Repair shop fellow said they could be fixed but the 72A came out and I abandoned that.
It became really addictive as in APRS mode the D72A (and I'm sure later versions of KW's handheld APRS rigs do too) I could isolate the altimeter readout and read that as the rocket was descending in real time. The position would be plotted on the handheld mapping GPS. I could follow the descent and put my eyes in the right place when the main chute blew. I'd just walk toward the last known position with a handheld Yagi to increase the ground footprint and I never lost a rocket with this method. 900Mhz Yagis are good for EggFinder stuff for recovery. I'd take the omni antenna off the receiver after the rocket was "down" and plug in the Yagi. It's easy to aim a Yagi at a 900Mhz tracker while the rocket is stationary on the ground. Ham band stuff, one can keep a Yagi pointed in the right direction with the ability for increased range reception.
GPS tracking either by the 900Mhz non-licensed NMEA trackers or the APRS Ham band trackers is essential for rockets that are flying out of sight for long periods of time. Upper air winds can wreck havoc on a rockets final position. The longer the rocket is out of sight, the more chance visual contact will never be achieved on descent. If the rocket lands out of sight then that last known position packet is crucial for an easier recovery.
I
Kurt: would a do a YouTube video of the complete system that you use and explain how it all works? I'm still confused on what hardware is needed.

Hope it's not as inscrutable as the TH-74a... I got one of those on a recommendation from a friend, I still haven't gone beyond calling half-duplex with it.

Hope it's not as inscrutable as the TH-74a... I got one of those on a recommendation from a friend, I still haven't gone beyond calling half-duplex with it.
I'm guessing the menu system will be pretty much unchanged. There are really just a few updates from the TH-D74 model. But there does seem to be some new voice menu options that have been generating excitement in the low-vision ham community. Maybe those will help?

Back