New Apogee Hermes HLV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many can you fit around a ________ (fill in the blank tube size)?

Now that you have your printer up and running, you could work on a scale Delta II.
Somehow this means of flying boosters escaped me all this time. Now that I know it exists, I'm intrigued by the possibilities. But yes, as a clustering fool, I'll need way more than three boosters if I scratchbuild something.

Now that you have your printer up and running, you could work on a scale Delta II.
Been there, done that.

My booster mounts were built similar to the ones Apogee have, but I made them by hand from various thicknesses of plywood and a brass rod.

I posted these images back in 2004 here under the screen name of qMaxx, but they're not in the posts anymore. I forgot that I had that name here when I re-registered here recently. Anyway, the two launch images are of the two versions I built. The first test model (on the left) had a successful ignition of all ten motors (core D-12 and A10's in the boosters), but the delay on the D was too long - my fault. The boosters all separated fine.

The second model (the right image) only had five of the A10's light, all on one side, so the model crabbed its way to about 50 feet, still pointing straight up, before landing butt first and shoving the main motor mount up into the model. It was nice to see that even though the thrust was off-center, because of the ten-degree cant of the motors, it still went up, instead of flipping end-over-end.

After the second failed - in the Elon Musk/Starship sense of the word "failed" - flight, I got extremely discouraged and basically quit rocketry. So, for 20 years, I've basically done nothing. Now I'm getting back into it and am already working on prototyping printed parts for a new Delta II model*, which I hope to test fly sometime next year.

*Much easier/cheaper to built test models now. Back then, I was making everything from scratch, and having to compromise on scale accuracy due to limited tools available and lack of funds to get the tools. I've had a 3D printer now for 3 years, will be getting a laser cutter in a couple months, and spent the intervening 20 years off-and-on teaching myself Blender 3D modeling (not about to do the same with CAD software - I'm 59 and don't have that kind of time anymore).

Attachments

• DeltaCollage.jpg
    DeltaCollage.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1
Interesting motor choices. I take a little issue with the description in the instructions for the model (on page 9) that say that -0 motors have zero second delay before they fire their ejection charge, when, of course, there is NO actual ejection charge in such motors. That said, I know that there will likely be enough of a rush of gases as the propellant wall breaks through to deploy those streamers.

Very interesting and tempting model, in spite of the price.

That said, I know that there will likely be enough of a rush of gases as the propellant wall breaks through to deploy those streamers.

Yeah... that works exactly the same as on my Delta II. Six of the boosters used A10-0's and the remaining three used A10-3's, to simulate the Delta's staggered ignition/separation of the boosters. I could have gone with electronically air-starting of the three boosters like the real one, but as I mentioned in my previous post, money was tight, as well as mass (the first version was right up to the max lift-off weight of all ten motors, but the second was about eight ounces lighter). The new one I'm working up now should be much lighter, and I can - sort-of - afford something like Apogee's Simple Timer.

Very cool kit. And I gotta say I love reading Timā€™s ad copy ā€“ makes me want to buy one even though Iā€™d probably never fly it.

Tony

I got to see that flight in person. It was really cool. Martin said they used B motors in the pods vs C to allow the pods to come off lower for photos.

Apogee has been selling the "strap-on-boosters" (SRBs) for a while. I bought a pair when they first went on sale. They were 18mm motor mounts in a 24mm airframe. After I saw how theyworked, I requested the "hook and box" parts alone, because I thought the kit was overpriced and i could clone them now that I knew the secret. Apogee said they would not sell those parts without the kits. They did not see the demand for that, they said, So I attempted to "whittle" my own, with mixed results.

If you are familiar with US Rockets "Sentra" -that is where I started. It is a rocket with 2 permanent pods glued to the side of the sustainer, but I turned them into SRBs. But after I built it, I didn't have faith in it. I turned to my oversized finned Big Bertha. I had built that from plans I found on Jim Z's site. I didn't know the fin plans were oversized then. Anyway, my handcrafted SRBs were added to the sides of Big Bertha. Remembe, I said mixed results? On the first flight, one of the boosters did not shake loose. And the sustainer didn't have the "oomph" to push it up much higher. It crashed I replace the unspiraled 4" of tubing with 8" fresh tubing, for extra stability. And I had work to do honing my handcrafted SRBs. I have flown it about 3 x since without mishap.

Apogee is now selling both 18mm and 24mm SRBs, and separately, the "Hooks and Boxes" essential to make side boosters work properly. I beieve the Hermes uses 24mm motor mounts in BT55 tubing. Also, necessary to make SRBs work properly is the strake that fits behind the hook and fits back into the box. Once the nose cone on the SRB pops off, the pod pivotsfrom the heel of this strake to "pushes" it clear of the fins,

Carlos aka c0c0m0ke

I am very tempted by this kit, but can't help thinking of the stash in the shed. And spending the money on gear for an L1 cert. The usual drag that inhibits pulling out the credit card. I would say that 3D printed oblique cones for the boosters would really complete the look.

My son and I just finished one. It was a Christmas present plus how could I pass up a 6F4NC lol...

It was a great project to work on with a 10 year old because the boosters require alot of repetition - build motor mounts, mount fins, etc and it allowed me to show him how to do one and then let him do the rest on his own. Its in the final paint stages now and will hopefully see its maiden flight in February if the weather cooperates.

Someone should start a build thread.

That is a beautiful rocket and I'd do a build thread but I don't care for the detachable pods. Neat concept but I'm just too lazy to chase all that stuff down. Same reason I don't fly multi stage.

If I got one I'd build it as a cluster but with the pods permanently attached which kind of defeats the purpose of the build thread :)

Either way, Nice design and really nice job on the build. I love it.

Latest posts

Back