New airbrush for Father's Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj_h1

Reaction score
Just got a new Paasche airbrush for father's day. Ok, it was a day early my wife never could keep a secret from me. I have always wanted one, but the practical side of me always said that the money I used on it would buy a lot of spray paint and I didn't want to get a cheap one only to find out I couldn't do what I wanted just because I would spend a couple of bucks more. She managed to find a set that I liked at hobby lobby for 40% off.:w:

Cool... now you get to buy some paint and practice, practice, practice... :)

Nice going! OL JR :)

Already at it, God this is so much easier! :wave:

Easier yes, but set up and cleaning takes up a lot of time. :bangpan:

As luke strawwalker said, you need to practice a lot. And don't assume that you can use the same pressure and other settings for different paints. You will need to customize your settings for each type of paint, and sometimes even within the same brands as different colors behave differently. The weather, mainly humidity, will effect how it works. ALWAYS spray some test paint before you apply it on the subject.

All that said, nothing beats an airbrush for control, custom colors and special touches.

Have fun.

Easier yes, but set up and cleaning takes up a lot of time. :bangpan:

As luke strawwalker said, you need to practice a lot. And don't assume that you can use the same pressure and other settings for different paints. You will need to customize your settings for each type of paint, and sometimes even within the same brands as different colors behave differently. The weather, mainly humidity, will effect how it works. ALWAYS spray some test paint before you apply it on the subject.

All that said, nothing beats an airbrush for control, custom colors and special touches.

Have fun.

Keep a logbook of the paints, the results, the pressures you used, etc., so you can build up database of knowledge on what works, and what doesn't work so well.

Actually my painting skills have improved with the airbrush. I started painting a Flat Cat and I am using Createx colors which were recommend on another web site. Unfortunately, I did not read the warnings about fluorescent colors until I bought a 6 pack of them and as they said they are not glossy to my dismay:confused:. I also read that people use Future for a gloss coat and I can't seem to find it anywhere around here (plano, texas a dallas suburb). Anyone know a source?

Actually my painting skills have improved with the airbrush. I started painting a Flat Cat and I am using Createx colors which were recommend on another web site. Unfortunately, I did not read the warnings about fluorescent colors until I bought a 6 pack of them and as they said they are not glossy to my dismay:confused:. I also read that people use Future for a gloss coat and I can't seem to find it anywhere around here (plano, texas a dallas suburb). Anyone know a source?

Are you aware that future is not a hobby product? It is normally found in the floor care aisle of your local grocery store. No offense intended if you knew that, but it is a fairly common area of confusion.

Are you aware that future is not a hobby product? It is normally found in the floor care aisle of your local grocery store. No offense intended if you knew that, but it is a fairly common area of confusion.

Yes, I did know that. I just can't seem to find it in any of our local grocery stores, Tom Thumb and Kroger.

do a search on the archive I think they changed the packaging in the last 18 months, and "future" is not as prominent as it used to be it is now something along the lines of "so and so's floor polish with future" now IIRC.

Paasche are nice, go to JoAnn's and get a block of beeswax to use as thread sealant, improves performance some. Clean up is a bit more intensive, than with a spray can but you'll get real fast at striping it down and cleaning up. If you're painting outside I recommend going inside or to a table to clean it. I once cleaned a borrowed one on a tarp on the grace and lost the conical insert for the tip. I was on my hands and knees for a while, but I found it.

Thanks, I didn't know the name change I'll try looking for that.

no problem good luck.

While we are talking future and airbrushes, you can run future through an airbrush. Use lots of Windex for clean up. I've never tried it and I've heard bad things if you don't get the airbrush squeaky clean as soon as you are done.

Back