New Age of Rocketry Is Upon Us?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is this the Second Age and we're going all Silmarillion, or is the Third Age culminating with the War of the Ring?

(Third Age had better movies!)

Have you tried the rocketry club locator I posted above? Let me know what results come back within reasonable driving distance for you.
I am not looking for a field the way you look for a field. There are those who find new fields for their club, so that the hobby goes on because others have a good place to fly. Then there are those who "find" a field by using a "club locator." As the president of a NAR Section, I am more concerned with the former case, and not the latter.

I am not looking for a field the way you look for a field. There are those who find new fields for their club, so that the hobby goes on because others have a good place to fly. Then there are those who "find" a field by using a "club locator." As the president of a NAR Section, I am more concerned with the former case, and not the latter.
I do lament the loss of sites and do wish you the best in finding a new and better field. With the explosion of interest with the new space race, it may help land owners and others to be more receptive and understanding (as well as their potentially influential children).

I do lament the loss of sites and do wish you the best in finding a new and better field. With the explosion of interest with the new space race, it may help land owners and others to be more receptive and understanding (as well as their potentially influential children).
Saying this to you is probably unnecessary, but I'll say it just in case. In talking to land owners, don't forget to mention the NAR insurance.

As a scratch builder... kits are pretty much not even on the radar for me.

Ditto. I tried two kits over the last six months, but with the poor fit and quality of so many components, I went back to scratch building. Besides being able to pick and choose my parts, the process of design and construction is more rewarding.

Ditto. I tried two kits over the last six months, but with the poor fit and quality of so many components, I went back to scratch building. Besides being able to pick and choose my parts, the process of design and construction is more rewarding.
I'm a scratchbuilder as well (and love it), but I like building kits too.

I don't know if any reference to Rocketry "Golden Age", "New Age", etc. would really have any bearing on scratchbuilding other than 3D printing now opens up a whole new world of possibilities that in the past would've been much harder.

Edit: And as noted earlier Cricut, OR & variety of motors! :D 👍

Last edited:
In my opinion the second Golden Age of rocketry began in 1989.

This is when Damon sold Estes.
AeroTech brought out kits and launch equipment.
MRC relesed their Concept II product line.
Cox re-issued their RTF rockets
Hobby distributors were still the main players/buyers/customers for hobby rocketry products.

In 1991 Quest AeroSpace appeared, AeroTech/ISP released the RMS reloadable motors and HPR became more mainstream.

After 1992 things went downhill for awhile due to the management at Estes.

I don't know if any reference to Rocketry "Golden Age", "New Age", etc. would really have any bearing on scratchbuilding other than 3D printing now opens up a whole new world of possibilities that in the past would've been much harder.

Edit: And as noted earlier Cricut, OR & variety of motors! :D 👍
Custom laser cutting too.

C5-3s! :wos_love::haironfire:

(My launch this morning of a Radical Rocketry 3D kit with my first time use of a C5-3.)
I've only gotten to fly the C5-3 a few times yet, but it's a fun motor. If/when the C5-0 comes out, it will breathe new life into 18mm staging.
As well as more and more small motor choices...it's no longer mostly Estes for LP motor choices...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/another-new-quest-motor.175376/
That new Quest E35 is my new favorite mid-power motor. I am going to have to up my clustering and tracking games in order to fly it in my 24mm clusters, but it's going to be a lot of fun to learn to do that. :cool:

Back