New aerial pics and a future rocketeer!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
I just posted a few new pics to my rocket aerial photos website. I had two flights on Tuesday, one which failed and another that was successful.

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=30098271&f=0

The first was a large three-stager. The first stage was 4" diameter, the second stage was 2.6" diameter and the third stage was 1.8" diameter. This flight was unsuccessful. The mirror shroud on the payload creates assymetric drag and (at high thrust) a corkscrew flight pattern. The interstage coupler between the second and third stage was not strong enough to hold it together. The rocket came apart just before burnout of the first stage motor. The second stage ignited in a downward position and impacted under thrust, completely destroying it and the transition/coupler which was still attached. The third stage did an unpowered "lawndart" and was heavily damaged.

The second flight was much better. It had the same 4" diameter first stage, powered by an I366 Redline. The second stage was 2.6" diameter, powered by an I211. The rocket was launched in a remote, rugged area of winding canyons and washes, which present a spectacular image when viewed from above. The final shot was taken near apogee, and captures the parachute just as it is beginning to be ejected.

I've also posted a photo of my dual-camera rocket. It's a large 4" diameter two-stage rocket with a payload that has two camera bays. One contains a 35mm sequence camera. The other was designed to hold a Super 8 movie camera, but currently it has a BoosterVision "high power" video system installed for an upcoming test flight. This system has a tiny video camera and custom transmitter, which sends live video and sound to a receiver/recorder on the ground. I plan to fly this at our club's April launch, with an AT K700 in the booster and a Pro54 K570 in the second stage.

---------------

Future Rocketeer Born Today!

I'm also proud to announce the birth of our first grandson! Samuel was born early this morning, weighing 8 pounds 13 ounces. Big sisters Shilo (4 ) and Serenity (2) are thrilled with their new baby brother. This is our fourth grandchild, and a fifth is due in May. I'll post pics of the baby as soon as I get the film developed. :)

Whoa! Ray, those are some of the most beautiful aerial photos ive ever seen :eek:

And more importantly, congrats on the birth! I know you're as proud of this one as all the others. :)

Ray

I still have to order the pics I wanted to get before the New Year. It'll happen I just keep finding more toys to buy. If you don't own one of Ray's pics you oughtta, they are impressive. Congrats on the grandson, but I seem to have missed his pic in your link. :D

You, sir, are in inspiration!

You did that with a 35mm film camera and servo to press the shutter
button, right?

I think I downloaded your "how to" somewhere. I just have to get
off my lazy butt and build it.

In case I can't find it, can you give me the URL to your website where
you describe you built it?

Originally posted by saxophone
You, sir, are in inspiration!

You did that with a 35mm film camera and servo to press the shutter button, right?
I think I downloaded your "how to" somewhere. I just have to get off my lazy butt and build it.

In case I can't find it, can you give me the URL to your website where you describe you built it?

Yes, 35mm. I use an Olympus Stylus Epic, non-zoom model. Great little camera with a "fast" lens and up to 1/1000th shutter speed. I've been using a simple servo mechanism to activate the camera. Details here:

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=30069434&f=0

If you're electronically inclined, you can also hack into the camera and wire an electronic timer directly to the shutter button contacts. I'll be trying this out soon. A friend supplied the timer, and I managed to solder leads to the contacts without screwing up the camera. Now I just have to build a payload capsule for it. I could use one of my existing boxy designs but for now I really want to do a more aerodynamic 2.6" tubular payload.

(PS -- Still haven't had a chance to get the baby pics developed yet.)

Originally posted by graylensman
And more importantly, congrats on the birth! I know you're as proud of this one as all the others. :)

Yeah, being a grandpa is a blast!

Back