New additions to the fleet!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, I got in a building frenzy. I admit it. I doubled my HPR fleet in 1 month. So heres whats new:

38MM minimum diameter rocket... Named "Fire in the Hole!". LOC nose cone and tubing, plywood fins

PML Quarter Scale Patriot, plus motor retention

3" diameter mailing tube rocket. 38MM motor mount, oversized fins.

PML IO. Stock.

Fixed Yank IQSY Tomahawk. Its now flight-worthy.

almost finished S&F fincan. More on that in another thread.

And, since Blue Ninja 150 was asking about my motor retention method, I thought I may as well post a pic of it so I could get some general feedback.

It has a threaded screw thing with a big head... The screw goes through the aft CR, and then there is a hex nut on the other side. Then another pair of hex nuts with a big washer sandwithced in between.

On this particular rocket (PML Patriot) I might need smaller washers... They are a little big....:rolleyes:

I will also be posting some pics of the S&F, Fire in the Hole, and other stuff as soon as I resize them...:rolleyes:

Sorry that picture stinks....:eek:

Heres a few of the Fire in the Hole.

And here is one of the rocket being painted....

And heres a cool picture looking up from the back of the rocket....:D

Makes it look big, dont it? :D

nice:D
thats the way I retain the motors on all my mpr kits, such as my pml A2... its just two bolts with nuts on them.. i epoxy them in to make sure they don't ever loosen up, and then stick another washer/nut on the outside to hold the mottor in.... you *should* never loose a mottor this way;)

thats the way I used to make retention (it isnt really worth the trouble, Masking tape works great) but what I did was grind down one side of the washer, that way I just needed to twist the washers and I could take out the motor and then twist them back and they would hold the case down

Neil, meet sandpaper, Sandpaper, this is Neil

Glad to see you got the "peanut butter consistency" thing down, Neil ;)

Now that you have that 38mm minimum diameter rocket, bring it out to Black Rock and we can drag race on J1200s!

Originally posted by Ryan S.
Neil, meet sandpaper, Sandpaper, this is Neil

ROFL!

What exactly is *THAT* supposed to mean?:confused: ;) Were you being sarcastic about the fillets?:confused:

I admit those fillets wernt my best piece of work, but they were OK. The ones on my Patriot and S&F are MUCH nicer, though.:rolleyes:

Its not glassed... I dont plan on it doing mach one anyways.:rolleyes:

I wouldent object to bringin' it to Black Rock... Its your choice of motors that bothers me:D ;)

Sounds like that motor would pack quite a wallop... How about Hs or Is... ;) ;)

Originally posted by Neil
What exactly is *THAT* supposed to mean?:confused: ;) Were you being sarcastic about the fillets

I think it might also be about the fuzzies on the edges of your fins in that one shot. No biggie - I've got a few like that myself...lol

Originally posted by Neil
What exactly is *THAT* supposed to mean? Were you being sarcastic about the fillets?

Just givin ya a hard time :D

What?! No 1200Ns 1 sec burn J motors? Well FIINE. :p C'mon out, we can hook you up with some good stuff! My status doesn't say "Copper (II) Oxide" for nothing!

No, I am thinking you should make a new kind of propellant to make a motor something like a J2000:D ;) :p

Howabout this? E15 drag race at CMASS?:D ;) :p j/k, OF COURSE:eek: :p

I took those off a while ago.... It looks fine now. That was only the first coat of paint... Thats why the paint looks uneven in places, too.

one question. do you use epoxy to stick the nuts to the centering ring? i've got all the parts i need and im considering trying it to my weasle.

I screw all the parts together and onto the CR, then I coat the head of the screw with epoxy, and the hex nut thats touching the CR also gets epoxy. The rest can move around. Use a Dremmel tool to cut off anything that isnt neccesary. Dont be afraid of the sparks that fly when you are using the cut-off disks... They are like mini-sparklers, but the rotating blade whajjamijigger makes them all go in one direction... Its great fun!:D

looking up from the bottom of the Fire in the Hole pic,...are those BUGS!!! in the paint??

I hate when that happens...here in the south, we have bugs that love the smell of fresh paint.

Back