NERRF-7 is June 24, 25, 26 at Pine Island, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we're all set to go and it looks like we'll get the range box stickers done in time :) Haven't been on the forums much due to schedule conflicts, and am looking forward to a nice long rocket event :)

I am soooo bummed that I cannot go this year it sounds like it is going to be awesome! (as usual). I took a look at the featured projects and WOW a spectacular list so far.

Matt

The Aerotech RESTOCK order has arrived.......

20% off AEROTECH reloads and SU motors is still ON....
[100 dollar min order net]

Order your motors TODAY!
845-926-1959

All the pieces seem to be coming together.

Looking forward to setup on Thursday and Launch start on Friday.

Are you joining for setup on Thursday???

Last edited:
I dabbled with model rockets for a time when I was younger but never took the full plunge at the time. I am middle age now (by body only) and lately I have been thinking about getting involved with it again. I have done the the typical web searches and reading stuff here and there to get caught up on the generalities of it all. During this process I found this forum and also learned of NERRF 7 coming up this weekend in Pine Island, NY. By luck I live only about 45 minutes away so I thought visiting for a few hours on Saturday or Sunday to witness some launches etc just might be the final bit of inspiration needed to take the plunge. So the quick question is if I want to come to watch for a few hours is there anything I need to know or do prior or can I just show up? I am quite aware of the safety concerns and know enough to not wander into areas I shouldn't! Thanks in advance for any info provided!

John

John:
Come on out and have a ball, The only thing you'll hopefully need is sun block. Oh and your wallet lol There's food, drink and a ton of vendors selling everything Rocketry, Once you get there I'm SURE some new kit will catch your eye.

John:
Come on out and have a ball, The only thing you'll hopefully need is sun block. Oh and your wallet lol There's food, drink and a ton of vendors selling everything Rocketry, Once you get there I'm SURE some new kit will catch your eye.

Thanks Gary! I sort of thought that would be the case but just wanted to be sure! If you see a guy wandering around wearing a Nebraska Cornhusker hat it is quite likely me of course unless there is another die hard Nebraska fan at NERRF. I suspect I will not leave empty handed :wink: Thanks again!!!

NOTE "Boomers" are part of MANY SUMMER forecasts in Orange county. No big deal... They pass quickly....

Thursday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a high near 79. East wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 81.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend. Y'all will just have to have fun without me. see ya next year!

AEROTECH 20% Discount is still in effect for any fliers who make a trip to the Store on Thursday... only 30 minutes from the METRA field. [ $100 min order NET ] Call for directions..... 845-926-1959
I'll be open til 5 or later......

Thursday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog after midnight. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 58.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 58.

It's NERRF time ! The countless hours of preparation are over.

Rest assured that your dedicated NERRF crew will be there tomorrow setting up all the equipment. We will have 50+ pads in a ping-pong configuration. We can load on one side while we launch on the other side. That's 24 High power pads, 22 low power pads and 4 pads out at 500 feet (2 unistrut towers and 2 extreme rails).

We will do our best to keep the delays to a minimum but we will need your help. Please volunteer to help out. The more volunteers we have, the smoother the launch will run. If you don't know what is required at any of the various field positions - no sweat. We will show you what to do - free of charge !!!

The weather will improve as we head into the weekend. All I can say is .... a truly ridiculous number of rockets will be flow. Some successfully, some not so much ... but rest assured that button is getting pressed.

See you at the field,
Dan

Last edited:
Well, my stock of black powder was ruined by a flood, and i would have to drive about 4 hours to get some more :y:
If i could borrow/buy some from someone at nerrf for a few charges that would be very much appreciated!

The field is mostly setup.
Just have to lay out the wiring and electronics.

Beware: that the road after you make a right at the bridge is muddy, choose your path carefully, and don't stop in the middle of a mud puddle; as you might get stuck. We had heavy rains today and the field will be soggy.

I'll be there bright and early and hope the weather cooperates for the rest of the weekend (fingers crossed).

JD

Last Update: 6:05 pm EDT Jun 23, 2011

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Areas of fog after 9pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 61. East wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 2pm. Areas of fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Southeast wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 7pm. Areas of fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southwest wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Areas of fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. West wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. West wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 80.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Overnight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 4am. Areas of fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 60. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 1pm and 5pm. Areas of fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming west between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 78. West wind around 7 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 59. North wind between 3 and 5 mph.

Really Bobby? Just a weather report? not even a quick rundown of the day's events?

We had a decent crowd for a less than ideal weather.
It was comparable to a good turn out for a normal METRA launch.

There was about 100 launches or so.
The cloud ceiling was around 1200ft or so most of the day.
The biggest being a K to around 4,000ft around 2PM when there was actually some blue sky.

I had two flights, although I lost the rocket to Wallkill River on the second flight.

The range closed around 3:30PM.

JD

Really Bobby? Just a weather report? not even a quick rundown of the day's events?

Thanks JD! been thinking about y'all all day. hope tomorrows weather is better and crowd is bigger.

It turned out to be 86 flights for Friday...
Today started out slow with the low cloud cover, but it did push out and we had some good weather despite a 5 min shower.

Quite a few M, L, and K flights along with a few nice clusters and two HP 2 stage flights.
One of the 2 stage was Wildman Tim Lear; he attempted to stage a 3" Wildman on a K to K but the upper stage lit way late ( like after apogee).

I had the other ( that I know of) a 3" rocket 9lb on a CTI I 285 to an EX I 147.
I haven't recovered the upper stage yet as I lost track of it after the apogee charge went off.

I left around 5PM and they were still loading up rockets.....

Flis had something special with this flying contraption:
I call it: The Flying Streamer of Doom

JD

FlisStreamerofDOOM.JPG

A second great day for NERRF!

While an incorrect altimeter setting caused a "really cool" flight for me this morning (nothing that a new section of airframe and some paint won't fix), I put my Wildman Jr. up this afternoon, carrying one of those cheap keychain cameras. Got some neat footage:

[YOUTUBE]aG8LbCf7_0Y[/YOUTUBE]

It was another great day of flying!
Craig returned my upper stage to my Phase 2 rocket.
The Adept 22 was still beeping: 4,487 ft
The G-Wiz LCX said about the same (4,483ft) when I downloaded to the data.

I was able to fly my 14 year old Onyx 2XL on a K 1100 and 3 I200.
The I's never lit but still made it to 1,738 ft. It landed about 100 ft from the pad it left from.

There were about 6 or more M's that flew. about another 6 flights that expected to break 10k. The air traffic wasn't nearly as bad as it was for our regular June launch 3 weeks earlier...

JD

I had some great flights as well.

My Predator Jr. (after 2 ignitor changes) flew to 1412 feet on a H123 Skidmark.

My Nuke Pro Maxx flew on a G61 and landed in the river, but was recovered by Bailey, I think his name was.

I flew my Big Nuke 3E for my Level 3 certification on a M1500 Mojave Green and was successful. My Perfectflight altimeter beeped out 8,660 feet and my Missileworks beeped out 8,827 feet.

Yesterday, I flew my Big Nuke on a K550 to 4,289 feet.

NERRF 7 was a wonderful success. Saturday weather was nice and Sunday weather was superb.

What a launch, what great vendor participation, what great flier participation!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

berlinetta said:
I flew my Big Nuke 3E for my Level 3 certification on a M1500 Mojave Green and was successful.

High five and knuckle bump on your L3!

Time to change your sig. Oooops! You already did. :D

My Nuke Pro Maxx flew on a G61 and landed in the river, but was recovered by Bailey ...

Yep, many rockets were rescued from certain death by Craig and Baily. They really saved the day on multiple occasions. It was a great launch this year. A launch like this takes a lot of effort by many people, but it was more than worth it.

I flew two 100% M flights in my 8" rocket on Saturday (a white motor and then a red motor). The first went to 9100ft, the second to 8300ft. Not bad for a 71 pound rocket. I'm still tired.

I enjoyed watching all the other flights as well - big and small. I hope all you folks had as much fun as I did ... but I doubt that is possible.

Dan

I got 7000+ from the L2000 skidmark
and exactly 8000 from the L3000 (alt read exactly 8000 feet)

Gotta love a 43" 54mm motor :)

Todd Harrison got some sweet pics, David Reese got a good one of the skid launch also.

I just wanted to post a couple of pics from nerrf 7, I was just a spectator this year but it was fun!

fun
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Last edited:
Back