Nell (Goddard) from Arkansas [by FlisKits]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the reason the chute deployed so low is my launchpad setup.

This 1/4" x 48" rod is at quite an angle. I normally use it for RC Rocket Glider launches at an RC airfield.

The safety rules at the airfield stipulate that you do NOT let your aircraft (or rocket glider) cross the flightline. So, I am launching at a fair angle (5 to 10 degrees?) to get the rocket glider out over the runway.

A more 'straight up' launch rod setup would have got the Nell higher. Still, I think I will stick with B6-2 or C6-3 motors in the future.

I have had this kit for a couple of years, and finally decided to build it.

The "Nell" was the first liquid fuel rocket flown by Robert Goddard. It is being sold by FlisKits, though at the moment (7/21/22), it is not in stock.
I have a bone to pick with Fliskits - this ISN'T Nell. Goddard did not name his early rockets. (Source: Rocket Man by David A. Clary).

The name Nell wasn't given to Goddard's rockets until after a launch on July 17, 1929 or 3 years AFTER his initial rocket flew (March 16, 1926). And each version had a different configuration as Goddard would often tinker with the design right up to launch. The motor was relocated to the bottom of the rocket in future versions. Larry Mansur (one of Goddard's small group who joined him in 1928) reacted when he read a negative newspaper article by saying "They ain't done right by our Nell." Salvation Nell was a popular play at the time. So Nell became the name for Goddard's rockets from that point until he later began to name the series. There is a picture from Clark University Archives that shows the 1929 crashed rocket and it doesn't look anything like the 1926 version. https://commons.clarku.edu/archives_gallery/10/

I suppose the name Nell is as good as any though for marketing a model rocket since the original lacked a name at all.

Last edited:
I have a bone to pick with Fliskits - this ISN'T Nell. Goddard did not name his early rockets. (Source: Rocket Man by David A. Clary).

The name Nell wasn't given to Goddard's rockets until after a launch on July 17, 1929 or 3 years AFTER his initial rocket flew (March 16, 1926). And each version had a different configuration as Goddard would often tinker with the design right up to launch. The motor was relocated to the bottom of the rocket in future versions. Larry Mansur (one of Goddard's small group who joined him in 1928) reacted when he read a negative newspaper article by saying "They ain't done right by our Nell." Salvation Nell was a popular play at the time. So Nell became the name for Goddard's rockets from that point until he later began to name the series. There is a picture from Clark University Archives that shows the 1929 crashed rocket and it doesn't look anything like the 1926 version. https://commons.clarku.edu/archives_gallery/10/

I suppose the name Nell is as good as any though for marketing a model rocket since the original lacked a name at all.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/nell/

Back