Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1614345114487.png

"This needs a good paint job, but I don't have any great inspiration at the moment. I'm definitely thinking alien spacecraft (and therefore some weirdness), an a cockpit somewhere along the cone."

This is a pretty interesting design. I keep coming back to it to see if anyone has come up with a paint design for it yet. I know it won't be me after my experience with the Lockheed Defender. It's still is waiting for the rest of the paint scheme to come to me :)
Defender Blue w Black Nose.jpg

-Bob

That does make me wonder about using a lemon as a nose cone. Alright, a hollow, plastic nose lemon. (Cue the jokes about a rocket plagued with problems. A recovery failure would result in a lemon drop. Have at it.)

"This needs a good paint job, but I don't have any great inspiration at the moment. I'm definitely thinking alien spacecraft (and therefore some weirdness), an a cockpit somewhere along the cone."

This is a pretty interesting design. I keep coming back to it to see if anyone has come up with a paint design for it yet.
Don't hold your breath; most people have better things to do.

I admit I have spent some idle brain cycles trying to figure out the best way to construct this. The are many possible approaches, but I'm not really convinced about any of them yet. Also the design is not finished. But I wouldn't rule out a future build of this one; it certainly would be different and interesting. Not the near future though.

I like it. It looks like the black is matte; is that the plan?

I'm a little surprised on the flame color by color mixing. Potassium gives you a nice lilac flame by itself.
1618401572077.png

I like it. It looks like the black is matte; is that the plan?
What's shown is approximately satin (I think?), which looks good to me in renders. In reality it would probably be gloss, unless I successfully got de-glossed Future to work. And if I actually built it, which is not happening in the near term.
I'm a little surprised on the flame color by color mixing. Potassium gives you a nice lilac flame by itself.
I'm amused that everyone is focusing on the flame color. That's just an artifact of the way I generated the image. Original flame was red, but it mixed with a dark blue background to become purple. In hindsight, I can think of a better way to do the flame in the future so that it'll be a bit more "true", although it'd be more effort and I probably wouldn't bother.

Actually I was trying to read the script.

it’s too many characters to be “Enigma”

what does

“Pe Oed U Spns” mean? It’s, well, an Enigma.

I can't make sense of it any way 'round.
1618501184614.png
I guess it's a non-Latin alphabet, and not one I recognize, unless it's "stylized" until beyond all recognition (SUBAR). Maybe an alien script, but not any of those that I recognize either. Tolkein's elvish script comes closer than anything else I know, but only if you leave out the diacritics. And it's not really right at that.
1618501669327.png
So maybe it's the dialect of a long lost spacefaring elvish population.
The last Battlestar, Enigma, leads a ragtag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest for a shining planet known as "Middle Earth".

I can safely assure you that this is time poorly spent...
I beg to differ. This is fun, always time well spent.

And yes, I did see post #1465. I couldn't open the images on my computer at work (blocked). Which means I'm still free to have my fun. And who says the Roswell aliens were not the lost spacefaring population of elves? (C'mon, "a shining planet called Middle Earth"? How is that not funny?)

Yeah, that's it. Now the only thing left is to figure out what "DSAP" means.

Deep Space Astrogation Prototype?
Deadly Ship of the Antarian Protectorate?
Degenerate So-and-sos Against Propriety?

Back