Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, that is a tough comparison. I think I like the fin shape and quantity (3) of the top one, but perhaps 1 single (larger) plasma core.

The 3 larger fins look much more traditional, and maybe shows off the plasma core more. But I might have a slight preference for the 6 smaller finned version.

I'm a little confused by this.
I don't know, that is a tough comparison. I think I like the fin shape and quantity (3) of the top one, but perhaps 1 single (larger) plasma core.
The first one but with a single larger ball mostly is the second one. Is it the different slopes on the leading and trailing edges that you like?

I'd still like to see a version with the two large balls, but I'll stop harping on that; this is the last time I'll say it.

Start seeding the fusion process in the single plasma ball with a little blue pill. That will solve all power problems.
I'll go to my corner now.

I'm a little confused by this.

Me as well. 🤔

I think that the difference in fin slopes is pretty significant, they look quite different. The first one reminds me of the Fletcher, I think it is a nice rocket fin shape, so it results in a more traditional look. The second looks like something that could be a plasma core cage type of thing.

That is, uh, well no comment.

Here's the double version. Only three fins because it looked to busy with more. I feel like it forces the fins to be too long, would need to change the fin shape in some way to make this work.
View attachment 423976
And there's the single ball version for comparison:
View attachment 423977

The 2 balls with sloping fins looks good, although Im still partial to the original arcing fins.

The larger balls the extend beyond the tube diameter dont look right in my eyes. Too exposed. (The tubes with the little flares on each side of the core were nice)

The 2 balls with sloping fins looks good, although Im still partial to the original arcing fins.

The larger balls the extend beyond the tube diameter dont look right in my eyes. Too exposed. (The tubes with the little flares on each side of the core were nice)
Those weren't actually flares, although it looked that way due to the textures. Flares could be good though.

Right now I'm flailing with this design, going to put it aside. Times like this I wonder how I ever managed to finish a design in the past.

I just scrolled through all the pages of this thread and am feeling very inadequate.
You are a unique bunch.
It's obvious that some of you use a lathe to make your own nose cones and boat tails, but has anyone tried to build an entire rocket that way?
That is, no premade tubes, everything out of turned balsa. This would allow for some really creative designs.

Well, I like your starting point. The fins mounted to the curved flare is a nice look. Keep it up and you'll become an expert in less time than you think.

There's a different half baked design thread, mostly with a few of mine, but I have invited contributions from everyone.

Well, I like your starting point. The fins mounted to the curved flare is a nice look. Keep it up and you'll become an expert in less time than you think.

There's a different half baked design thread, mostly with a few of mine, but I have invited contributions from everyone.
I'll look for your thread. In the meantime, I came up with this and hope it's not an intrusion on Neil's thread. Sorry if it is.Screenshot 2020-07-11 09.28.23.png

It's obvious that some of you use a lathe to make your own nose cones and boat tails, but has anyone tried to build an entire rocket that way?
That is, no premade tubes, everything out of turned balsa. This would allow for some really creative designs.
*Usually*, most radially symmetric airframes that would be turnable on a lathe can be constructed out of a combination of body tubes, paper shrouds, and nose cones. Paper tubes (talking LPR here) are usually the core because they are very strong, light, and can contain ejection charges. Almost anything can be wrapped around the core tube to build up a different shape.

Other examples than Lake's Tintin rocket:
You've inspired me to try a few things, but I still can't figure out how you are doing a lot of the things you are doing.
Again, if you see anything specific that you have a question about, just ask.

Neil Plasma.png

I like it a lot!

In the spirit of your Skywriter (building a rocket that looks just like something that isn't a rocket).... the above rendering makes me think about a Tennis Racket Rocket... complete with a couple of Tennis Balls stuck in the racket.

Or a Baseball Bat complete with a baseball, or.... you see where I'm going.

Options to increase ball visibility

Could go with O fins around the ball (since you are running a tube through it anyway), remaining fins aft and optionally some anterior but none over the ball.

1 fin above or below the ball, again will need the rest of fins aft and possibly fore.

2 fins for symmetry, again need som orthogonal fins aft and possibly fore.

Didn't figure you for the lovecraft style. Definitely departing from the plasma dart aesthetic there
Yeah, right now it's just "goofing around with plasma balls". Thought I should see if I can come up with something really alien looking.

Not sure if 5 is the right number of fins. Seems a bit crowded. But here it is with three, seems a bit bare.
1594600926902.png
Four, on the other hand, is the Wrong Look. Dunno.

Yeah, right now it's just "goofing around with plasma balls". Thought I should see if I can come up with something really alien looking.

Not sure if 5 is the right number of fins. Seems a bit crowded. But here it is with three, seems a bit bare.
View attachment 424259
Four, on the other hand, is the Wrong Look. Dunno.

I do like 5 with the claws around the central ball. I don't know if you really need the outboard ones, but it's a pretty cool look either way.

Still need the expanded front section in my opinion. Four might work, if they’re spaced in pairs instead of evenly. Think an x-wing.

Back